I get no Edge connection on T-Mobile Pay-as-you-go

littlebone

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I just took delivery on an unlocked European One-X and signed up for 1 month on T-Mobile's 4G pay-as-you-plan. I know that the European model can't get 4G, but the T-Mobile tech support line tells me that it will automatically convert to Edge, which is good enough for me at this time.

Except...the phone won't connect to the Edge network. The Settings-About shows the phone is on T-Mobile Edge. The Settings Mobile Network, though is always disconnected. When Wi-fi is on, the Mobile Network shows the message: "Use phone for data connection when Wi-fi is unavailable". But when I turn Wi-fi off, the message turns to "Disconnected."

I never see the Edge Network icon in the status bar.

I've turned Roaming On (an faq at T-mo suggested that I do this: Support: No Internet / data: Android). But on or off, no Edge. And the info shows that I am not roaming, anyway.

One last bit: the above link talks about needing at least 2 bars of signal strength for data to work. I have 4 or 5.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this? Is there some setting I am missing?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You might have to enable roaming on the device since it's not a native network..

try that and let us know how it goes.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
They might have you signed up for the wrong plan, or given you the wrong sim card.

Maybe they thought your phone would work on their LTE network.

They carry the one S, and often the sims they supply for that phone are not compatible with the X for some reason.

See here: http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/533805-new-t-mobile-sim-issues-unlocked-htc-one-x.html

Your phone does not handle the 1700 band, (contrary to a lot of nonsense roaming around the web). And if your area has 3G served across the 1700 band you won't get 3G/HSPA/UMTS but you should fall back to Edge.

In your case, you say you are not getting Edge. It should always get Edge even if it can't pick up 3G, so that's why I suspect a sim problem rather than a radio frequency band problem.

Print off that thread and take it back into the store and insist they dig around for an older micro-sim such as the Nokia 710 micro Sim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz