My conspiracy theory on the borked multitasking

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's probably a far stretch, but I think ATT/HTC deliberately made the multitasking suck (and unwilling to fix it) because they want you to hit your data cap limit sooner.
Every time you navigate away from any app that needs internet, to do something (e.g. watch a YouTube vid), and then return back, the app reloads. When it reloads, it gobbles data. Overtime, those unnecessary reloads will start taking a hit on your precious limited data.
Now this may only apply with certain apps. The one app I've noticed (which I use a lot) is Dolphin browser. I was initially skeptical if the webpage reload was an actual "reload" or just a "page re-rendering", so I did a little experiment (which you can do too). I went to a site, after it loaded, I went to do a couple other tasks, turned off my internet, returned back to Dolphin, it tried to reload, but failed and returned the "no internet" thingy. In a normal situation, it should just display what I was previously viewing since it was already preloaded anyway. But instead, I returned to a blank page. Now, this may not be an actual use case scenario for most ppl, but you can imagine how annoying it is if you were viewing a site before, and then walked to an area with no coverage, but can't view what you've already previously loaded. Now, I tried this with the chrome browser, and noticed it behaves differently (as expected). If there's no internet, it just re-loads (from cache I guess) what you were previously viewing. But if there's internet, I really don't know if it'll be reloading from cache or from the internet. So, I guess it depends on the app.

Anyway, my point is, if you love hopping around between apps, and they're unnecessarily reloading (because of the lousy multitasking), you might be gobbling more data than you'd like. Which ATT would gladly charge you for once you exceed by 1 byte :)
What do you guys think?

Developer of Dock for Android/iOS/webOS, Panes for iPad, Glimpse for TouchPad

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Repainting a screen from Cache STILL requires a page hit to the server with the url, date, and time of last fetch.

If the page was not modified since that time, the server returns a 304, and the browser repaints from cache. This is done for every unique sub-element in the page. (picture, advertisement, banner, etc).

It is technically incorrect to return a cached page with no indication of a network failure.

I keep telling people to Use FireFox, and you will find far fewer page reloads.

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Sprint Evo LTE has the same thing too. And they got unlimited data.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone for two weeks and I hadn't noticed the Page reloads and app reloads until now.

So I guess it doesn't bother me. The 3gig plan I have is more than plenty and I use much of my data on wifi at home. I'm not worried about it.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt it happen on ALL one x's (international too). I doubt ATT had anything to do with it. Anyway, the multitasking thing is enough to sway me to the SGS III. If it wasnt for my friend who had both the SGS I and SGS II saying samsung is terrible (first one's screen broke and GPS didnt work, the second one restarted on him and never turned back on), I'd switch right now. That and all the talk of samsungs ty radios. Anyway, the multitasking ruined the beauty that sense brought to the table this year. Such a shame as i LOVE Sense 4.0 much more than stock. But once a fully working CM9 is out (minus LTE for now)I will switch in a heartbeat. HTC screwed up, and i wish they were getting crucified for it.

Reactions: calvin35

AndroidArmageddon

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Now that all the reloading has been tinfoiled I cant help but notice it on every single app I switch to. If however you keep your browser open and lock the screen, the page won't reload when you unlock the screen, same with other apps. It's just the switching. Good thing this phone is lightning fast and while it does bug me it's a price to pay for such an awesome device. If we complain enough HTC will have to fix it, unless multitasking is an Apple patent infringement, but hey it's ok if safari rips off chrome! :mad:

Archon810

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it's simple - HTC can achieve better battery life if they gimp multitasking to the point where it's barely multitasking anymore.

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
... HTC screwed up, and i wish they were getting crucified for it.

Yep. Instead of being called out, they're getting a pat on the back. What good is an awesome screen if it provides an awful user experience? Oh well, whatever...

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I thought the Sprint Evo LTE has the same thing too. And they got unlimited data.

You are right on both counts.

One prevailing/recurring line of thought is that the Sense UI is just too big, available memory is much lower than previous phones, and the Sense version of Android is also tuned to be much more aggressive (too aggressive) at killing off or suspending apps. This has the effect of suppressing, restricting, or at times completely removing multitasking capabilities, leaving the phone in more of a "suspend and reload" type task switcher behavior.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/179798-multitasking-problems.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/175973-sense-4-0-multitasking-hands-impressions.html

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it's simple - HTC can achieve better battery life if they gimp multitasking to the point where it's barely multitasking anymore.

Apps will sleep when they have nothing to do (unless they are crappy). Having true multitasking instead of suspend-and-reload much of the time does not affect battery life in any significant/meaningful way.

anon(778153)

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same multitasking issues on my Australian HTC One XL, so it's not just AT&T. As others have said, I think it's overly aggressive memory management by HTC, so Sense doesn't get dumped from memory.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It's probably a far stretch, but I think ATT/HTC deliberately made the multitasking suck (and unwilling to fix it) because they want you to hit your data cap limit sooner.
Every time you navigate away from any app that needs internet, to do something (e.g. watch a YouTube vid), and then return back, the app reloads. When it reloads, it gobbles data. Overtime, those unnecessary reloads will start taking a hit on your precious limited data.
Now this may only apply with certain apps. The one app I've noticed (which I use a lot) is Dolphin browser. I was initially skeptical if the webpage reload was an actual "reload" or just a "page re-rendering", so I did a little experiment (which you can do too). I went to a site, after it loaded, I went to do a couple other tasks, turned off my internet, returned back to Dolphin, it tried to reload, but failed and returned the "no internet" thingy. In a normal situation, it should just display what I was previously viewing since it was already preloaded anyway. But instead, I returned to a blank page. Now, this may not be an actual use case scenario for most ppl, but you can imagine how annoying it is if you were viewing a site before, and then walked to an area with no coverage, but can't view what you've already previously loaded. Now, I tried this with the chrome browser, and noticed it behaves differently (as expected). If there's no internet, it just re-loads (from cache I guess) what you were previously viewing. But if there's internet, I really don't know if it'll be reloading from cache or from the internet. So, I guess it depends on the app.

Anyway, my point is, if you love hopping around between apps, and they're unnecessarily reloading (because of the lousy multitasking), you might be gobbling more data than you'd like. Which ATT would gladly charge you for once you exceed by 1 byte :)
What do you guys think?

I have thought about this myself. I certainly wouldn't put it past at&t. What I find odd is that I have seen some posts stating that the at&t One X is actually worse at multitasking than both the international version and the Evo 4G LTE. In any event I've been done with the One X for about two weeks now and have had a much more pleasant android experience on my Vivid as I wait for the SIII.

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
... the Sense UI is just too big, available memory is much lower than previous phones...

I'm not an expert, but how difficult would it have been to shove in an extra gig of ram (like Samsung did for the gs3)? Was HTC being cheap? Or are they planning to release a new version with 2gigs of ram in a few months? Because I wouldn't have minded paying $100 extra for additional ram (and even storage) for the initial release of the oneX. Just saying...

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You are right on both counts.

One prevailing/recurring line of thought is that the Sense UI is just too big, available memory is much lower than previous phones, and the Sense version of Android is also tuned to be much more aggressive (too aggressive) at killing off or suspending apps. This has the effect of suppressing, restricting, or at times completely removing multitasking capabilities, leaving the phone in more of a "suspend and reload" type task switcher behavior.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/179798-multitasking-problems.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/175973-sense-4-0-multitasking-hands-impressions.html

This is basically it. Lower available RAM, bigger bloat, and aggressive settings - the triple combo that makes it worse than it's been before.

It's not a conspiracy as much as HTC didn't do their homework that the S4 chipset combined with more bloaty Sense = a less desirable experience. Samsung took note that their config ate up more ram as well and took care of it for the S4 chipset.

I'm not an expert, but how difficult would it have been to shove in an extra gig of ram (like Samsung did for the gs3)? Was HTC being cheap? Or are they planning to release a new version with 2gigs of ram in a few months?
Cheap might be part of it, but honestly I just don't think HTC is as good at phones and software. It's not like people at HTC actually test to make sure their UI is a good experience or the last 3 years wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: jacker and 21plays

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, I don't actually think it's a conspiracy. I'm just trying to engage people in discussing some potential side effects of this multitasking issue...

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know why none of the big review sites even bother to mention the piss poor multitasking on the One X? I mean this phone handles multitasking in a manner that is completely different and worse than just about any android phone in recent memory and none of the big review sites mention it at all. It is frustrating because if HTC gets a pass they may never fix it, or worse yet, make it common place on all their phones.

Reactions: 21plays

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know why none of the big review sites even bother to mention the piss poor multitasking on the One X? I mean this phone handles multitasking in a manner that is completely different and worse than just about any android phone in recent memory and none of the big review sites mention it at all. It is frustrating because if HTC gets a pass they may never fix it, or worse yet, make it common place on all their phones.

This++

Zaisaroni

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Sense is too bloated, and HTC's multitasking settings are aggressive to keep more memory free/open.

A real data conspiracy is where the FM radio app is deleted, and they only install an internet radio service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463