DO NOT USE "Best Wi-Fi performance"!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
My .02
1X AT&T version stock - I've been following this thread and personally with "Best Wi-Fi Performance" off I have not noticed any significant change in battery performance/Certainly not a 50 to 75% difference.

Certainly does on the Evo LTE (S4; many confirmations). And others confirm on the S4 One X.

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
They would rather people turn it on thinking it will help with something, then mysteriously develop severe battery issues, not know why, and then badmouth HTC products to everyone because battery life sucks.

What.

You are calling everyone's attention to a problem some persons may be having. I don't really think HTC's master plan is to get everyone to bad mouth them. Shooting yourself in the foot is never a good idea, especially if your arm is already missing (the company having financial problems).

Now Faster & Smoother!

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't really think HTC's master plan is to get everyone to bad mouth them. Shooting yourself in the foot is never a good idea, especially if your arm is already missing (the company having financial problems).

Now Faster & Smoother!

Well, that is what it seems like, anyway. They are aware of the "problem" and yet have done nothing to mitigate it. And it would be VERY easy to mitigate it, even if it is not solved- with a proper warning in the description. So it seems like they are happy to accept more support calls and upset people.

xartic1

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Have had my phone for 3 months now and I have used best WiFi performance off and on. While I was rooted on 4.0.3 and had no issues. Unrooted and went up to 4.0.4 and still no issues. I make sure my apps are never consuming background data or anything. I feel like that is the culprit to most problems. I have noticed some apps like facebook will stay running in the background even if you task kill it, until you log out.

More or less I feel it could be the user to some degree as well.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, that is what it seems like, anyway. They are aware of the "problem" and yet have done nothing to mitigate it. And it would be VERY easy to mitigate it, even if it is not solved- with a proper warning in the description. So it seems like they are happy to accept more support calls and upset people.

Come on. Stop being ridiculous.
You want them to push out an update WORLD WIDE to change one line of text?

As others have stated, most people do NOT see a huge difference in battery utilization with best performance on. Just a few users who in all likelihood have some other apps misbehaving.

Sent from my HOX

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
...Wow. Anyways, been following this thread for a bit, finally did some testing on my end, and find these claims ridiculous. Not saying people aren't experiencing this problem, but i'm not. So there's that.

Maybe HTC should also make a big fat warning label for users who choose to have brightness on their screen set to 100% that they may consume 50% more battery. I mean come on, draw the line.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: xartic1

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I was having this issue, before and after the update... To be honest, I didn't realize how bad it was until I turned it off...

I chalked it up to playing with the new phone, but I could not get through an entire day at all...

After I turned it off, though... I am good with room to spare... Wi-Fi, BT, everything on all the time... Only changes was "Best Wi-Fi Performance" turned off...

I even went back to it for a day to see if I was crazy... Nope...

100 times better with it off.

No noticeable changes in signal or speed either.

Reactions: crxssi

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Come on. Stop being ridiculous.

Exactly which part is ridiculous? Warning people of a potential serious issue? Why do you seem to have a personal vendetta with this? I mean really, why don't you re-read your VERY first post on this thread and notice the "attitude" in your last sentence. It would have been enough to just post that you are not having the problem and move on.

You want them to push out an update WORLD WIDE to change one line of text?

Of course not. But had they made the change to the line of text, it would have ALREADY been pushed out with the update that is coming/has just come. It would be a quick, easy, and cost-free thing to do that COULD help to prevent some people from going through a nightmare, like I did for several days, trying to find out what was wrong with the phone.

As others have stated, most people do NOT see a huge difference in battery utilization with best performance on. Just a few users who in all likelihood have some other apps misbehaving.

icebike: no problem
port6805: no problem
wtdoor: problem
myrddincox: problem
pounder001: no problem
xartic1: no problem
dmcincubus: no problem
vjr021: problem

So far, that is 5 with no problem, 4 with problem (can't count me, because I am Evo LTE). That is 44.4% with a issue with MAJOR battery drain when "Best Wi-Fi Performance" mode is turned on (which is not a "few", that would be "many" in this sample). No, it is not 100% like the reporting on the Evo LTE, but it is certainly enough to warrant a thread about it telling people, QUOTE:

"I believe this might also apply to the USA One X. Please post your findings, either way..... "

And I think it is certainly worth HTC's attention on the matter.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
...Wow. Anyways, been following this thread for a bit, finally did some testing on my end, and find these claims ridiculous. Not saying people aren't experiencing this problem, but i'm not. So there's that.

The claims are *NOT* ridiculous. If they were, I would not be wasting time on it. I do have better things to do. I appreciate your adding your data to the thread, which is useful, however.

Unlike certain people on the forum, I will not blast you, taunt you, or call your findings "ridiculous" because you get contrary results.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Have had my phone for 3 months now and I have used best WiFi performance off and on. While I was rooted on 4.0.3 and had no issues. Unrooted and went up to 4.0.4 and still no issues. I make sure my apps are never consuming background data or anything. I feel like that is the culprit to most problems. I have noticed some apps like facebook will stay running in the background even if you task kill it, until you log out.

More or less I feel it could be the user to some degree as well.

It is possible it is an interaction or combination issue. But my testing was on an idle phone, with no "background data" apps. No Email, no facebook, and any apps killed. I even have facebook and footprints and crap like that completely disabled (I don't use them).

Again, my testing was on an Evo LTE, of which I have 100% confirmation from EVERY PERSON who tried the option. I only speculated that it also affected the S4 (non-international) version of the One X, because it is nearly identical, and several people have confirmed it. Why some people don't see the behavior on the AT&T One X and some people do, I don't know. It really is baffling.

Last edited:

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I've tested out the 'best Wi-Fi performance' option for 2 1/2 days. I'm using an AT&T device and haven't had a battery draining problem

Now Faster & Smoother!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The claims are *NOT* ridiculous. If they were, I would not be wasting time on it. I do have better things to do. I appreciate your adding your data to the thread, which is useful, however.

Unlike certain people on the forum, I will not blast you, taunt you, or call your findings "ridiculous" because you get contrary results.

Nobody called your findings ridiculous.

People called your assertion that HTC's master plan is to call attention to this issue and destroy itself in the process by deliberately not fixing the problem immediately ridiculous.

But it sounds like HTC is in denial about it, just like they are with "multitasking". They would rather people turn it on thinking it will help with something, then mysteriously develop severe battery issues, not know why, and then badmouth HTC products to everyone because battery life sucks.

Then you compound that by coming up with statistics based on a few posts in a forum. What about all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no problems and therefore don't visit forums at all?

Stop being petulant and pissed off at every body just because we don't experience your problem.

Some of us have other wifi problems. Like looping trying to connect. But we don't get all whiny just because others don't experience those and assume HTC is out to get us. We work around the problem. I got a different router, cost me a whopping $24 bucks.

The wifi chip set has issues that HTC can't solve by themselves, and they are waiting for software fixes from Atheros, who make the wifi+bluetooth radio.

But it's not a fatal flaw, nor does it affect every user, and there's no reason for you to get all bent out of shape because others don't have a battery issue with best wifi performance.

Sent from my HOX

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Then you compound that by coming up with statistics based on a few posts in a forum. What about all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no problems and therefore don't visit forums at all?

You think hundreds of thousands of people have turned on "Best WiFi Performance???"

Stop being petulant and pissed off at every body just because we don't experience your problem.

Nothing could be further from the truth- I couldn't care less if someone does or doesn't have the mentioned problem. I *am* interested in providing a warning and collecting more information. I am only pissed off at postings with an attitude.

odonogh1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yea so I just turned on "best wifi performance" the other day and I have definitely noticed a massive decrease in battery life. I couldn't figure out why "android os" was consuming 36% of my battery when it's usually like 10-12%. With "best wifi performance" unselected I can easily get from 9 am to 11pm and still have about 45% left. With "best wifi performance" selected I got down to 10% from 9am to 11pm. This is a definite issue and not something that should be shrugged off as nothing. Thanks for the post.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK, I have an idea for a simple test for those who are concerned or interested in trying it. You might need a couple hours to do this, but it should work out to track your battery usage.

Charge your phone to 100%. Set screen to 100%, turn on "best wifi performance", and stream something (audio or video) for one hour. Make sure nothing else is running (facebook, or any other apps that might screw with wifi or CPU performance). Keep the phone in the same place so you're not changing the distance from the device to the router.
Make a note of your battery life after one hour (or go 2 hours if you want. Or stream one movie)

Charge your phone to 100% again. Keep everything the same (no other apps running, screen brightness, distance to router, etc). Stream the same movie, or stream another hour of audio. Do your best to keep everything exactly the same as before -- the only difference is to turn off "best wifi performance". Check your battery after one hour, or whatever timeframe you used for the first run.

Heck if you have time, repeat this test (both parts) a few times. Keep everything the same as much as absolutely possible, only toggling this "best wifi performance" option on and off.

If you keep everything else the same, doing a test like this (especially if you can repeat it on multiple days) should give you a clear answer as far as how much battery/cpu is being used.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, I have an idea for a simple test for those who are concerned or interested in trying it. You might need a couple hours to do this, but it should work out to track your battery usage.

Charge your phone to 100%. Set screen to 100%, turn on "best wifi performance", and stream something (audio or video) for one hour. Make sure nothing else is running (facebook, or any other apps that might screw with wifi or CPU performance). Keep the phone in the same place so you're not changing the distance from the device to the router.
Make a note of your battery life after one hour (or go 2 hours if you want. Or stream one movie)

Charge your phone to 100% again. Keep everything the same (no other apps running, screen brightness, distance to router, etc). Stream the same movie, or stream another hour of audio. Do your best to keep everything exactly the same as before -- the only difference is to turn off "best wifi performance". Check your battery after one hour, or whatever timeframe you used for the first run.

Heck if you have time, repeat this test (both parts) a few times. Keep everything the same as much as absolutely possible, only toggling this "best wifi performance" option on and off.

If you keep everything else the same, doing a test like this (especially if you can repeat it on multiple days) should give you a clear answer as far as how much battery/cpu is being used.

Sounds scientific.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe... Simple fact. If you think you know the source of the problem, eliminate all other variables. If it works you know where the problem is. If it does not, you need to trouble shoot again to determine where the problem is. It's not complicated!

Sent from my rotary phone

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I already tested it, scientifically (one change, repeated, and verified by others), on the Evo LTE and there is no question it was 100% a major problem. But since I don't have a One X, I can't say for sure on the One X. But it certainly looks like it is a problem to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL