HTC One X shut-down

Otis_S

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've used my current handset for about 2 months and have experienced my second shut-down.

The 1st occasion was last month. No reason for the shut down. No error report nothing. The phone was unresponsive, no power light, nothing. It was just "dead". It eventually turned on again after about an 30 minutes and worked again, with no explanation as why it shutdown or restarted.
The 2nd shut down was today, once again, complete shut down, blank screen and once again, it took about 30 minutes before it restarted.

Anyone experience a similar issue?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Take it back that's crazy mine has shut down on several occasions but always comes back on in like 3mins max

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I won't argue but twice in two months seems a bit of a stretch. Were you in a motor vehicle at either time? Near some heavy duty machinery or a very isolated area buildings basement, indoor parking garage, sometimes you will lose a signal with a cell phone.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

rp014789

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine died today also and has yet to come back on, it s the gray version I got mine on May 8th. I noticed a couple of times over the weekend that the phone was supper hot I was thinking it may have been because I was in the car and the sun may have been shining on it but I believe now it is over heating.

Otis_S

May 16, 2012
Visit site
None of those possible explanations. Don't drive, work above ground and am not a heavy phone user.
Both occasions have been after mild usuage for no reason what so ever. The 2nd occasion was after I was listening to music, on my way home.

I've owned 4 other HTC devices (Hero, Desire, Desire S & Sensation) and have never had an issue with any of them.

Should I contact HTC Europe about the problem or my carrier?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If the phone didn't come from the carrier then they will not help you. If it did come from the carrier they should take care of it for you.

Otis_S

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, did as suggested, by contacting my carrier (T-Mobile) before contacting HTC'S UK. Was advices to do a "factory reset" and then see if that helped. Phone still was running hot at the lens area of the phone. I installed an app that monitors the battery's temperature and it showed at 52C.
Contacted T-Mobile again who adviced me to take the One X to my local store, for them to send it, to their engineers to have a look at. They were very helpful and mentioned that they had a few users comment about the heat issue but, not about the phone shutting down.
So I'm back to using my trusty Sensation, until they have looked into the problem.

Still love the One X though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Android Central Forums

willyboy28

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. Just experienced the second shutdown this morning after owning the phone for 29 days. It is not heat or other related issue, it just simply shuts down and takes about 20 minutes to bring back to life. I will be exchanging it this morning.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. Just experienced the second shutdown this morning after owning the phone for 29 days. It is not heat or other related issue, it just simply shuts down and takes about 20 minutes to bring back to life. I will be exchanging it this morning.

I've had shut downs, probably not more than 5 times in all the time I've owned it, (I ordered it just days after it was announced).

Ive had shut downs on a Nexus One, a Captivate, and my wife's Atrix 2. Also on my Acer A700, and A500. This is Android's way of handling memory corruption or any thing else that requires a reboot . Its not unique to HTC. Always allow it to send the problem reports to HTC upon reboot.
That's the way things get fixed.

Every shut down I've ever had reboot normally without a problem. No 20 minutes.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had two shutdowns and I have had the phone for going on two months. Mine have been Battery related. I also was getting really craptastic batter life. I found that most of the drain was from something with the maps, and it getting stuck searching for service (I basically work in a basement so I go from lots of signal to no signal a couple times a day.)

I fixed this by turning off GPS manually, and using Airplane mode when I go back in the "cave." Also, I use easy battery saver, but the only option for that I have turned on, is the auto brightness for the screen since it seems to work better than the stock one.

Now, I'm getting days out of my battery, instead of hours, so it's a pretty dramatic difference.

Also, I expect the shutdowns for me were batt drain related since the battery was dead afterwards, so they should not happen again, but I don't know for sure...

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's been a couple days, and everything has been going well over all with the battery, but a weird thing happened Saturday.
And it is the second Saturday that it's happened.

The battery life tanked, and I'm sure it would have been an auto shut off if I had not caught it.
I didn't use the phone much all day, but it was at 50% by noon, which is low considering that I had not used it hardly at all.
When I checked what had been using the battery, it said Android OS.

Any one have any idea what that means? I tried restarting the phone, but I think it was too far gone by then.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It's been a couple days, and everything has been going well over all with the battery, but a weird thing happened Saturday.
And it is the second Saturday that it's happened.

The battery life tanked, and I'm sure it would have been an auto shut off if I had not caught it.
I didn't use the phone much all day, but it was at 50% by noon, which is low considering that I had not used it hardly at all.
When I checked what had been using the battery, it said Android OS.

Any one have any idea what that means? I tried restarting the phone, but I think it was too far gone by then.

It is hard to figure it out with the standard battery stats. Usually a syncing issue with that I believe. Almost certainly you have an app that is hanging. If it doesn't happen but every couple days, try to gauge your app usage and see if you can figure it out. Turn Facebook off and try one of the replacements for a day or two and see if the problem stops. My wife's Facebook app got "updated" and all the crap turned back on. Hate that app.

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This may be a silly question, but how do I turn FB off? I can't get it to go away no matter what I try.

Are there any better apps out there I could get to see what is using my battery?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This may be a silly question, but how do I turn FB off? I can't get it to go away no matter what I try.

Are there any better apps out there I could get to see what is using my battery?

Better Battery Stats.

Go into accounts and sync, find Facebook, and uncheck sync live feed (or whatever it's called).

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Better Battery Stats.

Go into accounts and sync, find Facebook, and uncheck sync live feed (or whatever it's called).

Thanks I'll try better batt stats.

I looked at the sync settings, but all I can do is completely remove the account. If I touch sync live feed, it just refreshes as syncs it.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure on stock... HTC has Facebook as a system app, so you cannot disable or uninstall like normal. try disabling the "Facebook for HTC Sense" app and see if that does the trick. Friendcaster and Fast for Facebook are the two replacements I see touted (I am not a Facebooker, but my wife plays one on TV). Friendcaster for full featured replacement, Fast for those that only want (and need) more basic capability and want speed.

Alternatively, yeah, just disable the Facebook sync entirely and try the other apps.

GingaDroid

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have an HTC One X. It shut down yesterday around noon when I was walking around and has yet to turn on or show any charge light. I have tried holding the power button down to access the start up menu but had no luck so I left it on the charger all night, still nothing. I'm hoping someone has an idea on how to fix this, or is patience a virtue?

By the way, I posted this as a reply because I couldn't figure out how to post other wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC