HTC One X screen rocks

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
In the midst of all this negativity around the One X, I want to focus on one of the many things that are awesome about it: its screen. I have seen many mobile phones screens, but at this size, it is hard to find something as good. Even the SGS3, with all the noise it is making (and rightly so, it is an awesome phone) is not better. In fact, in my opinion, the screen on it was a bit disappointing (perhaps because I expected an improvement over the One X's).

Anyways, I was glad to see someone else agreeing with me on this. Gizmodo's review of the SGS3 says the following about its screen in comparison to HOXs:

"The screen is pretty nice on its own, but when you put it next to the HTC One X it literally pales in comparison. Not only is it extremely blue, but it's not nearly bright enough. Using navigation on a road trip, I had to shade the screen with my hand in order to see it (not safe!). The One X was brighter at 70 percent than the S III was at full. It also seems more pixelated because of the Pentile display, even though it's almost the same PPI as the One X."

Good to see the One X get some of the recognition it deserves as the superb device it is. While the quote from that review does compare it with the SGS3, I am not interested in comparisons, just want a little break from all the negativity to acknowledge one of the many great things our phone has!

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more! The BGR review of the S3 is also pretty negative on the S3 screen:

"... and large beautiful 720p resolution display. Oh, that display though… It’s a Super AMOLED PenTile display, and you know what that means? Regardless of the resolution, the screen will always look just a little bit worse than a non PenTile display like Samsung’s Super AMOLED Plus panels, and it’s noticeable.

The screen also seems less bright and less vivid than alternatives, and the dimming on it is just plain bad — the phone doesn’t dim smoothly, instead stuttering a bit as it jumps from one level of brightness to the next. For the average smartphone user, the screen on the Galaxy S III will be more than good enough. Samsung’s AMOLED panels are all very impressive, but I really would have liked to see a Super AMOLED Plus display on the company’s flagship phone for 2012."

Engadget is a bit more gentle: "Overall, the One's display is still just a tad lovelier to behold, but this small disparity shouldn't be a deal-breaker."

Last edited:

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Holding them side by side at the launch event I'm inclined to agree :)

Totally not biased either ;-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

aboxa

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Ya the screen is amazing, I remember when I first got it I turned off my lights and just toyed around with it and the screen was just... killer. If the capacitive buttons weren't on I would legit think it was one of those fake display pics. And the comments about the viewing angles are on point too, I was looking at it from the side and the display was still clear as day.

Having not seen the SG3 in person yet I'm surprised to hear the screen is so torn down compared to the HOX. I mean yeah it's PenTile but with that 720p resolution I would think the differences would be hard to spot. Guess I gotta see for myself.

G_The_One

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Having beheld the One X, I too think the screen is divine. I think the One X has a number of positive things going for it as well. The overall design is widely accepted to be better than the Samsung SIII, even though it comes down to personal taste. HTC Sense is also arguably better than Touchwiz, even in its latest form. Another subjective matter I guess...

The only reason I won't be getting the One X is the battery. The battery on the international version has so many issues, and coupled with the fact that it is non user replaceable, means that come the end of two years, it will be like a fixed line device, needing to be on the charger all the time. Now if HTC pulled a Motorola and produced an "HTC One X MAX" with a bigger capacity battery, how sweet would that be? <Hint hint HTC>

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I won't be getting the One X is the battery. The battery on the international version has so many issues, and coupled with the fact that it is non user replaceable, means that come the end of two years, it will be like a fixed line device, needing to be on the charger all the time. Now if HTC pulled a Motorola and produced an "HTC One X MAX" with a bigger capacity battery, how sweet would that be? <Hint hint HTC>

So many issues? Can you please elaborate?

I am very happy with mine, easily lasting 2-3 days with moderate use, 1,5 days with more active use and around 4 days if I use it like a standard phone (on stand by for the most part). Obviously that is not just down to the battery, but with help from JuiceDefender, it is awesome. Here's a screenshot from my activity today, with significant usage as can be seen from the screen percentage, still a long way to go before recharging:

2012-06-21_11-17-06.png

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I love my int. One X. Screen is amazing Only negatives for me are lack of LTE (which may save battery) and on/off switch being where it is (prefer top right ala Samsung). Also, signal jumps from 3G to HSPA (is this normal?).

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
So many issues? Can you please elaborate?

I am very happy with mine, easily lasting 2-3 days with moderate use, 1,5 days with more active use and around 4 days if I use it like a standard phone (on stand by for the most part). Obviously that is not just down to the battery, but with help from JuiceDefender, it is awesome. Here's a screenshot from my activity today, with significant usage as can be seen from the screen percentage, still a long way to go before recharging:

Click to view quoted image

Not as good as its.. because I used GPS a good bit aka maps. Still great.

taft

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
By now, everyone know's the phone can last for days without dying. But what do all these endurance pictures really mean if you don't actually use your phone? Ya, my phone will last for days if I don't use it, but if I do use it like I normally would.. probably hooking up the charger before I go out at night.

People want to see pictures of a phones battery history under regular usage.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
By now, everyone know's the phone can last for days without dying. But what do all these endurance pictures really mean if you don't actually use your phone? Ya, my phone will last for days if I don't use it, but if I do use it like I normally would.. probably hooking up the charger before I go out at night.

People want to see pictures of a phones battery history under regular usage.

Not only did I say I used navigation a good deal u can see that it's used a good bit in the picture.... Maps is navigation.

taft

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Yea I may just be venting a bit right now, and it's 02:30 where I am so don't take it personally.. but you have to admit, pretty much the only part of that picture that matters is the first 9 or so hours that you used your phone, where you wore it down to somewhere around 20%. After that you went to sleep.

That's similar to what I would get, especially when using something like maps. But it definitely shows you're going to be charging this phone far sooner than 20 hours if you actually use it. Something people should keep in mind when looking at the pictures people post, which showing incredibly long lasting batteries. I think the average screen on time people can expect would fall around 4 hours.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea I may just be venting a bit right now, and it's 02:30 where I am so don't take it personally.. but you have to admit, pretty much the only part of that picture that matters is the first 9 or so hours that you used your phone, where you wore it down to somewhere around 20%. After that you went to sleep.

That's similar to what I would get, especially when using something like maps. But it definitely shows you're going to be charging this phone far sooner than 20 hours if you actually use it. Something people should keep in mind when looking at the pictures people post, which showing incredibly long lasting batteries. I think the average screen on time people can expect would fall around 4 hours.

What really makes no sense is to post something that no other person would relate to... As far as I know, people sleep, eat, work... Long story short, most people I know will have things far more important to do than spend the whole day in front of their phones. We are not talking laptops here, remember...

Reactions: xXBLACKBERRYXx5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane