Battery Life - HOX vs SGS3

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Argument: The HOX only has an 1800mah battery, and it is non removable.

LOL so much for the super 2100mah SGS3 battery!

+ battery banks are available you know....

Anandtech:

b0fd9a2f-035c-8943.jpg

b0fd9a2f-0395-f04d.jpg

b0fd9a2f-03ad-a0ee.jpg

b0fd9a2f-03d0-1521.jpg

-----------------------

Also the HOX is tested on 4.0.3 unlike the SGS3, and users of the test leak of 4.0.4 for the HOX have reported much better battery life compared to 4.0.3

-----------------------

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I must say I'm impressed. Who/what's the source for this info? Many websites are saying that their tests show S3 has longer batteryblife in their tests, especially video playback and games. Maybe that 5th ninja core isnt a myth after all. have an international HOX and I must say I agree with the WiFi (hotspot and browsing) time, but the talk time seems a bit too much, 12.5 hours?

For all the praising of the extra 300mah battery, I must say I wouldn't say S3's battery life is that much better (my brother has a S3). It gives you more than 3 hours of screen time on average (average screen time for my HOX is about 2 hours 30mins) but its not so good at preserving battery in stand by mode.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I must say I'm impressed. Who/what's the source for this info? Many websites are saying that their tests show S3 has longer batteryblife in their tests, especially video playback and games. Maybe that 5th ninja core isnt a myth after all. have an international HOX and I must say I agree with the WiFi (hotspot and browsing) time, but the talk time seems a bit too much, 12.5 hours?

For all the praising of the extra 300mah battery, I must say I wouldn't say S3's battery life is that much better (my brother has a S3). It gives you more than 3 hours of screen time on average (average screen time for my HOX is about 2 hours 30mins) but its not so good at preserving battery in stand by mode.

Anandtech

Very popular third party testing organisation, most people over the years have regarded their battery tests to be the most accurate when comparing to other devices.

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I don't get. Those times seem so high. He is getting close to 11 hours on Wi-Fi browsing. So that means on one charge he was able to browse the internet on the one x for 11 hours? I'd sure love to see that 11hr screen on time screen shot.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Reactions: robstunner

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I don't get. Those times seem so high. He is getting close to 11 hours on Wi-Fi browsing. So that means on one charge he was able to browse the internet on the one x for 11 hours? I'd sure love to see that 11hr screen on time screen shot.

Anandtech might test on lowest brightness, you don't know their parameters.

This is mine on the kindle app, (lowest brightness)

b0fd9a2f-3384-3d17.jpg

b0fd9a2f-33a9-24cc.jpg

This would equal over 13 hours screen on time!! - (As once the HOX reaches a certain level, it will enter its own battery saving mode to save juice)

The HOX screen is very battery friendly.

Obviously, the more CPU/GPU intensive apps you use, the battery will drain much quicker.

-----
Edit:

A guy on XDA has had over 12hours screen on time, by PDF reading with 20mins of calls,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

locote25

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing a battery test today... I'll get back tomorrow w the results.... I'm a heavy user....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
From the paragraph after the chart from the anandtech review. Even if I isn't realistic, it's consistent and the same for each phone. So this can be considered apples to apples.

The web browsing tests consist of a few dozen pages which are loaded every 10 seconds with the display set at precisely 200 nits (using a meter) until the phone dies - this is done over WiFi and cellular data. The tethering test consists of a single client notebook attached to the device using its onboard WiFi hotspot function, and four tabs of our page load test alongside a 128 kbps streaming MP3 station are loaded on that notebook until the phone dies.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
From the paragraph after the chart from the anandtech review. Even if I isn't realistic, it's consistent and the same for each phone. So this can be considered apples to apples.

The web browsing tests consist of a few dozen pages which are loaded every 10 seconds with the display set at precisely 200 nits (using a meter) until the phone dies - this is done over WiFi and cellular data. The tethering test consists of a single client notebook attached to the device using its onboard WiFi hotspot function, and four tabs of our page load test alongside a 128 kbps streaming MP3 station are loaded on that notebook until the phone dies.

Thank you, I missed their testing procedure. :)

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech might test on lowest brightness, you don't know their parameters.

This is mine on the kindle app, (lowest brightness)

Click to view quoted image

This would equal over 13 hours screen on time!! - (As once the HOX reaches a certain level, it will enter its own battery saving mode to save juice)

The HOX screen is very battery friendly.

Obviously, the more CPU/GPU intensive apps you use, the battery will drain much quicker.

-----
Edit:

A guy on XDA has had over 12hours screen on time, by PDF reading with 20mins of calls,

the one x saves battery after it hits a certain percentage? :eek: what percentage is it?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If I may chime in on behalf of the Galaxy S 3 fans:

<channel fanboy>
These results have nothing to do with the real world because with the GS3 we would be using an extended battery that we swapped in with the ninja removable battery capability so we've got more battery life anyway and our phones are polycarbonate too and anyway you've got multitasking issues nyah nyah nyah
</channel fanboy>

Wow that was traumatic. :cool:

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

<channel fanboy>
These results have nothing to do with the real world because with the GS3 we would be using an extended battery that we swapped in with the ninja removable battery capability so we've got more battery life anyway and our phones are polycarbonate too and anyway you've got multitasking issues nyah nyah nyah
</channel fanboy>

It doesn't change the poor battery performance of the SGS3...

2100 is just a number it seems!

All phones can have extended battery, heard of battery packs/banks...

markhallyo

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

<channel fanboy>
</channel fanboy>

Just because we are getting SG3's doesn't mean we're mindless fanboys. I've used HTC phones since before they were cool but I can't get a One X on Verizon so the only logical choice is the GS3

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: xXBLACKBERRYXx5

locote25

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I got from 9 am till 8 pm after heavy use including gps last Saturday... This is the ATTs version

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
13hrs battery on time, 2 hours screen on time with the SGS3. I JUST hit 50% battery. This is by far the best consumption ive ever seen. (GPS ON, WIFI ON and conntected, Sync ON, Auto screen brightness)

AndroidArmageddon

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just crawled out of the S3 forum and read a lot of bickering about S3 battery! Guess what I got 17hours + on my 4.0.3 the other day and I can't complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae