AT&T supposedly has direct carrier billing for Play, but I dont s

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
But I sure don't see it as an option. Does anyone know if there is a setting or something that you have to do?

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T supposedly has direct carrier billing for Play, but I do

I don't have a method of payment in my wallet. When I try to buy something, I am prompted to enter a credit card number.

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Welp, I contacted AT&T and they confirmed what I was afraid of - direct carrier billing is device specific and the HTC One X doesn't support it. Man that pisses me off. If I had known that it was device specific, I might have factored that in to my purchase choice.

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Hmm i have A hox and I'm able to purchase apps and they bill me through AT&T.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Welp, I contacted AT&T and they confirmed what I was afraid of - direct carrier billing is device specific and the HTC One X doesn't support it. Man that pisses me off. If I had known that it was device specific, I might have factored that in to my purchase choice.

You got lied to by a "say anything to get them off the phone" employee. Not that uncommon, unfortunately.

Carrier billing might be plan specific but its not device specific.

Sent from my HOX

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
You got lied to by a "say anything to get them off the phone" employee. Not that uncommon, unfortunately.

Carrier billing might be plan specific but its not device specific.

Sent from my HOX

I figured this much too, I was gonna say the guy he got probably wanted to get off the phone.

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

I tried to buy SwiftKey app over the weekend through Carrier billing option. It didn't work, instead used a credit card to buy it.

BTW, the app is on sale for $1.99 now.

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Hmm. Now I'm confused. It works on my Focus, but it's not even an option on my HOX, which are both on my family plan. The person I talked to was via chat support. Maybe I need to call in.

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

If anyone is still reading this, I am curious - if carrier direct billing works for you, do you use the international version of the HOX, or the standard AT&T one that is available on their US site right now?

Also, custom rom or vanilla?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Might want to contact AT&T customer service to make sure you do not have any purchase blockers on your line.

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Might want to contact AT&T customer service to make sure you do not have any purchase blockers on your line.

I will give them a ring, but it seems like if it was related to my plan, I wouldn't have carrier billing on my Focus either.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I will give them a ring, but it seems like if it was related to my plan, I wouldn't have carrier billing on my Focus either.

Are you using the same number on both the focus and one x?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Then you are correct, it wouldnt be a purchase blocker or anything dealing with your account. My One X has the option for carrier billing on it. But my work has a purchase blocker on it so it does not go through. Is your one x updated to the latest software?

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Figured I would let you know I just made a purchase in the play store and it billed to my at&t account. I'm running stock Rom, not rooted. Hope this helps so at least you know it's not phone specific.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Then you are correct, it wouldnt be a purchase blocker or anything dealing with your account. My One X has the option for carrier billing on it. But my work has a purchase blocker on it so it does not go through. Is your one x updated to the latest software?

I think so... I went into settings and clicked the software update button, and it loads for a while, then just goes away. It doesn't say "no update found" or anything like that.

Figured I would let you know I just made a purchase in the play store and it billed to my at&t account. I'm running stock Rom, not rooted. Hope this helps so at least you know it's not phone specific.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Thank you for that! It makes me want to keep trying. I must be doing something wrong.

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

lol, I talked to a new rep, and this one told me it's HTC PHONES that have no carrier billing, that it's only available on Samsung phones.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
lol, I talked to a new rep, and this one told me it's HTC PHONES that have no carrier billing, that it's only available on Samsung phones.

Its also available on Motorola phones, so again wrong information just to get you off the phone.

Here is Google's take on it:

Missing carrier billing option

All of the following must be true for you to see carrier billing as an option:

• You must be using your carrier’s network (3G/4G), not wireless.
  • You must purchase from Google Play on your device, not on the web.
  • You must be in good standing with your carrier and have not exceeded your carrier’s cap on monthly spending.
  • Your device/service plan must be opted in for premium content purchases.
  • Your device must be provisioned for use with direct carrier billing.

So they are giving you the runaround.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jalb

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, they're full of it. They don't now what's wrong.