How do you handle the 16GB storage limit?

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Please, don't reply with "16GB is enough for me". That's not what I'm asking.

I have a large music collection and I like to keep a lot of podcasts on my phone. I have always been okays with 32GB of storage...plenty of room for apps, lots of music, and podcasts.

I tried the One X at launch, and was totally amazed by it. I ended up returning it because (1) the matte white got dirty too easily and (2) I wanted to wait and see how the SGS3 and iPhone 5 turned out.

At this moment, I would love to get another One X...but the 16GB limit is very frustrating. It's made even more frustrating by the fact that there is a 32GB model out in the world...it just won't work on ATT's LTE.

So, those with similar storage needs, do you have any clever ways of making this work for you?

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Well just delete what you dont need....old podcasts etc.

Pics, videos etc, either place them up in your dropbox or google account.

U will cope coz you will make sure you do....

I have the 32gb version but I wont even touch the sides of that even with my many CDs on there.

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with rnich120. I have lots of podcasts I listen to but I make sure to delete them right after listening.

Also, use Google Play Music upload. I know it's not for everyone because it can eat up your cell data but it doesn't take up space on your phone. I keep 2GB worth of music on my phone that I know I'm going to listen to often. Everything else is in Google Play Music. It takes getting used to. I used to have 10-15GB of music on my phones but I just pared it down.

I second the Dropbox/Google Drive recommendation for photos as well. With Dropbox you can upload your pics directly from your phone over the network or you can plug it in to your computer and use the Camera Upload function there. Hopefully soon we'll actually be able to upload to Google Drive because it's a much better value in terms of GB per $.

It's just a matter of prioritizing. Figure out what music you REALLY need and drop the rest. Like I said, it's hard to do. I was used to my iPod Video with 60GB of music and I was like, "What? I can't have my entire library of music on my phone?" but honestly, I don't listen to as much as I thought I did.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I usually use Pandora or the Digitally Imported app for music if I'm not using Googel music or Amazon's version. I don't have a huge music collection.

More of a concern for me is app storage since we only have 2GB to work with. Im already using 1.22GB. I don't think I'll ever hit the 2GB mark but that's dependant on the size of the apps as much as it is the number of apps.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

tonyflo04

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I use google Music for my listening tastes, but I have a nice rhapsody set of playlists that I like having locally incase I am in a dead zone. I'd love to have more space period.

Reactions: xXBLACKBERRYXx5

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I also have the 16gb version and I use dropbox as well. I supercharged mine so I will have enough storage for the next two years. I bought my phone outright so I will most likely be doing an upgrade August next year.

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Put in the work, and upload your music to Google Play Music. It's an amazing service, and you can have a good amount of music saved "offline" in case you don't have signal for some reason.

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Put in the work, and upload your music to Google Play Music. It's an amazing service, and you can have a good amount of music saved "offline" in case you don't have signal for some reason.

I did this.
as funny as it is to call it work, i actually agree with that characterization. It took like a month to get everything uploaded.

The problem is that Google Music makes everything 320kbps, so when space & cell data bandwidth is tight, this solution kind of falls apart.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Wish they would've actually let us have at least the 16gb it says it has rather than the 9.93gb we are left with

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I did this.
as funny as it is to call it work, i actually agree with that characterization. It took like a month to get everything uploaded.

The problem is that Google Music makes everything 320kbps, so when space & cell data bandwidth is tight, this solution kind of falls apart.

A month?
I pointed the music manager to my music directory, and went for a couple beers. No idea how long it took, but it was done by morning.

You can upload really crappy rips and they will mysteriously be replaced by high quality 320kbps versions. You can pin these to your devices (make available off line) to have music even when you are out of cell range. Do it while on wifi and it costs you nothing.

Further more, Google Music caches music you listen to frequently, and these never use any bandwidth to replay.

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
More of a concern for me is app storage since we only have 2GB to work with. Im already using 1.22GB. I don't think I'll ever hit the 2GB mark but that's dependant on the size of the apps as much as it is the number of apps.

But do you actually use all those apps? Again, I review the apps I have on my phone and remove the ones that I dont use.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
But do you actually use all those apps? Again, I review the apps I have on my phone and remove the ones that I dont use.

Most of them, I do. I've got things on here for me and a bunch of games for my kids and my wife too. I go through them about once a month just to clean house. I've only got 851MB left right now...yikes! Looks like I'll be cleaning house sooner than I thought.

Edit -

Cleaned up some. 1.4GB free now.

Sent from my htc_evita using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Most of them, I do. I've got things on here for me and a bunch of games for my kids and my wife too. I go through them about once a month just to clean house. I've only got 851MB left right now...yikes! Looks like I'll be cleaning house sooner than I thought.

Edit -

Cleaned up some. 1.4GB free now.

Sent from my htc_evita using Android Central Forums

Personally, I got tired of doing this with my last phone towards the end of its life, having to prioritize what is on the phone and what has to be cleaned off. Yeah you can do that, but its a hassle. Personally, I pay for and carry a smartphone because I want it to reduce the amount of hassles throughout my day.

Getting a 32 GB phone reduces or eliminates that hassle, at least for the next couple of generations.

If you think 16 isn't going to be enough for you going into a new contract, just imagine a year from now when you have a lot of stuff you'd like to carry with you and would prefer not to have to constantly do the offload shuffle.

-Suntan

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not much for listening to music on my phone, but even if I did I still got plenty of space with the 9gb of use able space. I use drop box too.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I got tired of doing this with my last phone towards the end of its life, having to prioritize what is on the phone and what has to be cleaned off. Yeah you can do that, but its a hassle. Personally, I pay for and carry a smartphone because I want it to reduce the amount of hassles throughout my day.

Getting a 32 GB phone reduces or eliminates that hassle, at least for the next couple of generations.

If you think 16 isn't going to be enough for you going into a new contract, just imagine a year from now when you have a lot of stuff you'd like to carry with you and would prefer not to have to constantly do the offload shuffle.

-Suntan

I agree. I had to micro manage my Nexus One to keep it running everything I needed, even with a microSD card.

Sent from my HOX

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I use a half inch external SD slot that plugs into the microusb. Should get here by UPS day after tomorrow.

EDIT: oh, I already posted that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89