Has the One X already lost steam?

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing I don't understand here: Does a lack of activity on the One X forums indicate that the device itself is losing steam? The Support for this device is still amazing from HTC and, if you look at the other threads you can see there are still a great deal of people asking questions about the One X's hardware and software.

The sales of the One X may have been going down but that is the usual trend when a phone has been out in the market for awhile now. Saying it's going down means nothing, but one thing I do feel matters would be that it is still one of the best Android phones out there. The new HTC phones in the Winter will soon outshine the One X, but don't think for a second that it will be any less great a phone.

Reactions: ANDROIDinOZ

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Until we see sales figures we can't say a great deal with any certainty, but I too think the S3 will push the HOX (all flavors) into second place.

With the S3 you have to suffer a poorer screen, (but still a very good one) and the fact that Samsung abandons and neglects their children soon after birth.

But otherwise the S3 is a splendid phone.
No doubt AT&T will screw it up as well.

I haven't bought a carrier contract phone since 2005, preferring to buy off contract without all the carrier restrictions. So whatever at&t does to the HOX or the S3 doesn't affect me.

Sent from my HOX

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing I don't understand here: Does a lack of activity on the One X forums indicate that the device itself is losing steam? The Support for this device is still amazing from HTC and, if you look at the other threads you can see there are still a great deal of people asking questions about the One X's hardware and software.

The sales of the One X may have been going down but that is the usual trend when a phone has been out in the market for awhile now. Saying it's going down means nothing, but one thing I do feel matters would be that it is still one of the best Android phones out there. The new HTC phones in the Winter will soon outshine the One X, but don't think for a second that it will be any less great a phone.

You have to be realistic. I frequent forums all the time, and both the HOX forum here and on XDA for the US variant are more or less watching dry paint. Just look at the forum member review thread stickied at the top. It's still only ONE PAGE. The last two are for the beginning of June, and then one July one. That's like, one review a month. That one will probably be the last one too. When I was following the HTC Sensation and GSII last year, threads and posts were flying past and if you did not get a reply to your thread within half a day it was bumped off the front. The GSIII has two forums on XDA just like the HOX, and they are just whizzing by at a healthy pace. Quantity does not mean quality of course, but if there aren't a lot of novices posting redundant questions and getting yelled at for posting them, than there's something wrong with the popularity of the phone, especially beyond a handful of dedicated fans.

I'm not into the HOX hacking scene, but when you enter the development section and the first thing it says is GET YOUR ROOT BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS! and many people complaining about S-OFF and no released source for the AT&T HOX, this is not what I would call real support from HTC. The GSIII has been open and ready for devs since the beginning. And the only updates I've heard about for the HOX are 1.82, which was the only major one, and 1.85, a minor wifi one which helped some people and broke others wifi. It is also a bit silly to say phone sales should die off after two months. This is HTC's flagship for the entire year. Last year's GSII sold over 20 million units, and the majority were not just crammed in during the first two months, but spread out and sold well all the way until the release of this year's GSIII, which is projected to sell 19 million in Q3. HTC had record breaking sales last year, but started dropping considerably in Q4, and the downward slide has continued this year, with year to year sales for each quarter much less than it was a year before, when the competition was not as fierce.

The GSIII has ease of use for the regular folks, and high hackability for the once stalwart HTC hackers who are getting increasingly miffed at locked bootloaderes and such from HTC. HTC still has the build quality, and the screen, for those who don't like the poppiness of AMOLED, but what other strengths do they have left? They are making a lot of bad decisions with the HOX, and it isn't even from hardware limitation or exceptionally difficult software engineering, its just strange and rather backwards choices that require even more effort to implement, like heavily restrained multitasking, or nonexpandable memory, which none of the other flagships are doing (both GSIII and LG Optimus 4x have microSD slots). They have a microSIM tray. How about a microSD tray? Keep the unibody, since that is a selling point. Because of this one design decision they had to do things like severally compress the video and images because of the limited space.

I am still waiting for news of a new udpate for HOX since the last one was a month ago. What are the chances they had a copy of Jelly Bean really really early and decided to roll it into the next update? NOT.....

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery life on the AT&T one is ridiculous compared to tegra3. When Phil came to London mine was nearly done when his had a whole load of life left

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I guess "bloggers" aren't every day users...

Agreed by just about everyone?

I don't think so. Agreed by bloggers evaluating phones perhaps but not every day users.

Very few people who have the dual core version are gloating about their battery life. 21 to 28 hours is the norm for tegra 3.

Click to view quoted image

Sent from my HOX

Icebike...look at his battery life. 21% left at 28 hours. I can do that pretty much all the time with mine, too.

If you have the phone (One X), and it does everything you want it do (which it should since you bought it and kept it) why does it matter if the forums aren't busy? There has been one official update, with other ones leaked (just like what happens on most other phones). But I'm sure you didn't buy the phone for promised future updates, right? If so, you should've got a Nexus. This phone and the Galaxy S III are desirable for their hardware. I wouldn't expect the software to change for the better at all, ever (not saying it can't or won't, but software updates of any kind aren't guaranteed for non-Nexus phones).

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
4 hours less??

1 day 4 hours is 28 hours.

Sent from my HOX

His screenpic (s4) showed 32 hours of use with 21% left. Yours (tegra3) showed 28 hours and was at 3%. I would have thought what I said was pretty clear. His got 4 hours more battery life than yours and that wasn't even counting the 21% battery life he had left. That would be enough of a difference to safely say the S4 version gets (at least) 25% more battery life than it's international counterpart. That is absolutely MASSIVE.

Last edited:

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You should really post your screen usage time too. Cause I could easily hit a day or even more with it being put to sleep mode.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You should really post your screen usage time too. Cause I could easily hit a day or even more with it being put to sleep mode.
Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still ongoing considering how little activity the One X is getting in forums! ;) You're right I should have posted a screen shot of the screen usage! And I realize even saying this is going to perpetuate this debate into eternity! Believe it or not, (famous last words,right?) (we all know if you saw or heard it on the internet it's got to be true) anyway... it was just under 5 hrs. In the previous screenshot if you look you will see that the screen used 59% of the battery so insinuating that it was in sleep mode is a little silly. Of course considering that the time was 32.3 hrs, I was not using it the entire time, some of us have to sleep at some point. For anyone to say their phone use is moderate or heavy is completely subjective but all I can say is that I use my phone a lot! Since my last charge I have been in CWM numerous times and anyone that is rooted can tell you depending on the phone it will eat up the battery. Went back to a different SystemUi which removed the AT&T from the notification bar and added the battery percentage along with EQS. Flashed different radios "again" and ran multiple speedtests trying to decide which one worked better for me (stayed with 1.85 radio). Probably went into recovery 5-6 times late last night. I get 200-300 rss feeds everyday that I keep up with. That's just some of what I have done since the last charge. And let's not forget that I have multi-tasking working much better than any stock HOX, I'm going to stick my neck out there :p and say that might affect battery life. "Don't worry, Be happy!"
Screenshot_2012-07-16-16-08-34.png
Screenshot_2012-07-16-16-08-50.png

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe the on screen usage for when I had on my One X could barely hit a day with 6-7 hours real usage. That's the highest I could hit I think with my lifestyle.

aimetti

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
yep dead as a doornail.

sure theres a few roms going on but i blame att/htc for the locked bootloader / no source etc.

last time i buy a branded / major company android phone. It will be nexus or nothing from this point forward. Dont care if the specs arent as great , at some points I still wish I just kept my galaxy nexus.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Whether a person wants to believe the GS3 or the HOX is the better phone, I think we can all agree that Sammy did a better job with marketing and stoking customer's expectations.

HTC unified there line to... X, S, V, EVO and Incredible.

Sammy unified there line to... GS3.

That has a couple of benefits for Sammy.

One, third party makers have one phone, sold to all providers around the globe. That makes it a lot easier to justify development of cases and whatnot. That helps generate buzz for the GS3 and as a result, detracts from other handsets.

Two, when sales numbers are released, blog sites will show total numbers of GS3s (Lumping int and domestic numbers together) but they aren't going to combine x, s and evolution numbers all together. Like it or not, those kinds of articles reinforce notions that one phone is better than another in a lot of people's minds.

-Suntan

Reactions: Iamdunne

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I think this thread says it all. Its been open three days and only on the second page? There's not even enough interest to stir up a decent argument!

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Whether a person wants to believe the GS3 or the HOX is the better phone, I think we can all agree that Sammy did a better job with marketing and stoking customer's expectations.

HTC unified there line to... X, S, V, EVO and Incredible.

Sammy unified there line to... GS3.

That has a couple of benefits for Sammy.

One, third party makers have one phone, sold to all providers around the globe. That makes it a lot easier to justify development of cases and whatnot. That helps generate buzz for the GS3 and as a result, detracts from other handsets.

Two, when sales numbers are released, blog sites will show total numbers of GS3s (Lumping int and domestic numbers together) but they aren't going to combine x, s and evolution numbers all together. Like it or not, those kinds of articles reinforce notions that one phone is better than another in a lot of people's minds.

-Suntan

HTC has got terrific customer repair service, got to give them that!?

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
HTC shot itself in the foot by having such aggressive memory management that there is no multitasking

Last edited:

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thinking the same thing. Have you also thought about the fact that an item like this will get tons of activity after launch as everybody is working through the learning curve, bugs etc and then at some point things calm down as people are actually using their phones.

Discussing development for a phone (ROM's etc) is a different subject, as you are talking about a very small percentage of the user base and that is not going to be indicative of a phones popularity in general.

This has to be the dumbest thread I have ever read. Judging whether a phone is good or not based on how much activity there is on a chat board. Idiotic.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Of course, it's clearly a better phone.

Right now it's like this

1. Galaxy s 3
2. Evo 4g lte
3. One x
4. One s

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

That's not clear at all. Maybe YOU like it better, but that dosen't make it a better phone. I have the One X and the SG3, and haven't used the S3 since the first couple days I owned it. With a custom Rom, the One X blows the stock S3 out of the water, in performance and battery life, and has a much better screen to boot. Now I agree the EVO 4G lte is better than the One X, seeing as it's got identical hardware plus an SD card. Now if only it was available on any network other than Sprint.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The thread isn't about whether its a good or bad phone, its about whether its lost steam and whether people have lost interest. AGAIN, a supposedly controversial topic and less than two pages after 3 days pretty much speaks for itself. Go to the XDA forums and look around. Today's Posts rarely go past the first page in most sections. I use the One X daily and its a very good phone, but it has lost its luster faster than any others in recent memory, that I'm aware of.

Reactions: locote25

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay