Antenna hardware issue? Per HTC

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Issue: when going from 4G (HSPA+) to no signal and back to 4G, my phone will no longer send texts, make calls or connect to any website without a restart. Phone shows good connection but just doesn't work.

Called ATT, they made me perform a hard reset and told me if it kept happening, to go to the store. Called HTC, they said they've had others report this and that there is an issue with the antennas, not the software. Were they just feeding me a line or has anyone else noticed this?

I'm still within my 30 days and hoping they will exchange it for new with no restocking fee but hate to have to mess with downloading apps and setting up my device to my liking again.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Gehrbox

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I've not had that problem with my HOX and i certainly go from 4g to no signal to 4g again countless times a day. Sounds like either corrupted firmware or failing hardware.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Please post any further response you get from HTC regarding this, I am also experiencing Browser Freezes or Huge Lags and the Browser ceasing to work, while on Wifi, and am beggining to think this is a wifi radio and antenna issue. There is a app (free) On Google Play, "Wifi Analyser",

What Im seeing is the Wifi range is very poor, and the additional setting for wifi performance make no difference. If you set it at Signall Metter youll actually see your signal strength in Db.

My router is at my Desk in my Bedroom, I go from -40db to greater than -80 db just 35 ft away in my living room.

I left a Atrix2 that had huge wifi issues, however the wifi range was considerably better. I hope some of the "Senior" Ops on the forum can shed some insight as to whats going on.

SloProjeklt

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. A lot of people seem to be. And there have been some people on forums saying they return the phone for a new one and the new one has the same connection problems.

The only way i've been able to solve it is when I restart my phone. Switching airplane mode on and off is said to work but it hasn't for me. Wishing HTC would own up to this or there's a fix out there... anyone?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
HTC has confirmed that certain hardware runs had issues with the wifi antenna. There are threads about it here.

As for cellular antenna problems, I haven't really heard of anything widespread myself.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Kevin, I hope you read my last post " Wifi Experience with 2 phones" (Separate Post) with the update. Can you offer any explanation? The OneX is a fabulous device, Im wondering maybe, ive just got one with a bad wifi receiver or something simple like that?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not believe this is related to the WiFi antenna as I'm not near WiFi when this happens. Plus, I've tried it with WiFi on and off. Getting a new on tomorrow and asking for the newest serial number they have (ht25 now).

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess I should have asked...since this is a defect and I'm within ny 30 days, should I go for the s3? This is ny first android (about 8 yrs on blackberry) and I'm liking it so far.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess I should have asked...since this is a defect and I'm within ny 30 days, should I go for the s3? This is ny first android (about 8 yrs on blackberry) and I'm liking it so far.

Get a replacement for the phone if you are seeing this problem.

If, after reviewing all the complaints and bugs discussed in the GSIII forum you still think you want to switch, go for it. Its your choice.

ANDROIDinOZ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been seeing this exact same odd behavior w/ my HOX. I have had ATT replacement handset w/ the serial # HT26XXXXXX so I think it may be new but who knows as it was considered a "refurbished" phone as that's what ATT sends out as replacements. My first one had other issues that I haven't seen w/ this one. My office just moved into the edge of cell service and seems to have the same response as yours as I have to put it into airplane mode and then turn off airplane mode when I want to make a call or send texts. If I leave it alone and travel into cell service so I get more bars then I seem OK and can make calls but I have seen my phone stop being able to make calls and send texts while on the edge of service and if I walked into where I get multiple bars (assuming the same cell tower) I still cannot make calls or send text w/out the airplane mode trick.

Seems more like a software issue as HTC said they new of issues that would be fixed w/ the next software release. I like this phone a lot if it would do what it was intended to do.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I did some further reading and it appears it has been an issue since release. One member of xda said flashing the modem helps but you have to be rooted and I'm not rooting until I'm past my 30 days. I guess I'll just grab a new one and see what happens...if the problem persists, hopefully a software update fixes it. Thanks for all of the replies!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Wait, HTC already said this was a hardware issue.
Why would you believe some unknown person on blog posting over the manufacturer?

Sent from my HOX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma