Fix for bricked AT&T update

DrComputer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I figured out how to fix my phone after the "black screen" update. I downloaded the latest working firmware file and re-installed it and the phone came back up just fine. Just download "RUU_Evita_UL_Cingular_US_1.85.502.3_R2_Radio_0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L_release_262092_signed" and restore the phone.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you post this in the "AT&T HOX Update" thread, along with a link to the file download? I didn't personally have an issue with the update, but there are some people over there that I think would GREATLY appreciate that tidbit of information.

DrComputer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
That's why I started a new thread so it wouldn't get mixed in with all of the other comments.

Just do a google search for the file and download it from one of the many sites that has it.

Also, after restoring the phone and before loading any apps or data on it I did a "Check for update" and it downloaded the AT&T update again and installed without a problem.

lesjeff

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I figured out how to fix my phone after the "black screen" update. I downloaded the latest working firmware file and re-installed it and the phone came back up just fine. Just download "RUU_Evita_UL_Cingular_US_1.85.502.3_R2_Radio_0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L_release_262092_signed" and restore the phone.

How exactly would one restore to this file? I connected my bricked phone to my computer, but the computer doesn't recognize the phone as a storage device, in its current state.

Thanks!

DrComputer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you press and hold the power button until the phone turns on. Although you won't see anything on screen you will hear the startup jingle and the buttons on the bottom will light up. The firmware restore program should then see the phone and restore correctly.

lesjeff

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
No dice. My phone shows up as a CD drive, and I cannot access it at all, like it needs another driver or something. Same thing happened on my work PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DrComputer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
No dice. My phone shows up as a CD drive, and I cannot access it at all, like it needs another driver or something. Same thing happened on my work PC.

You don't need to copy anything to the phone. Download the firmware EXE file I talked about above and run it. As long as the phone is on and plugged in via USB, the firmware upgrade program will find it and re-flash it to the old firmware.

lesjeff

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to copy anything to the phone. Download the firmware EXE file I talked about above and run it. As long as the phone is on and plugged in via USB, the firmware upgrade program will find it and re-flash it to the old firmware.

Fixed it! I kept running into a problem where the RUU program couldn't find my phone. I downloaded HTC Sync and suddenly it found my phone! I'm currently on my second attempt at downloading the new OTA; fingers crossed!

Whether it works or not, I've got a new phone coming from AT&T tomorrow. If this works I'll probably keep one phone stock, and play around with rooting and roms on the other.

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it!

droidmood

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Will this erase the contents of the /sdcard directory? I ran into this "black screen" after updating today, AT&T is sending me a new phone but I have a bunch of photos I don't want to loose. Thanks.

bperkins24

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
i need to know if it will delete all photos stored on the phone as well. i just got back from a 3 week trip to europe and don't want to lose all of my photos and videos! i could care less about anything else on the phone but i really need those pictures!

droidmood

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I just went ahead and ran the 2.2 RUU. The phone is fixed and I still have the contents of /sdcard including all the pictures I was worried about loosing. The rest of the phone seems to have been reset (I had to reenter my Google account information, WiFi setup and so forth)

Anyone else who is having this problem, go ahead to htc's website at:
HTC One

Thanks for the help!

thegadgeteur

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue last night - updated (or was in the process of) to 4.0.4 on a brand new, stock One X. Came back about 30 minutes into the update and had the dreaded red triangle. Reboots resulted in nothing more than a splash screen which led to a black screen.

I installed HTC sync app on computer, downloaded the RUU.exe file talked about above and plugged in my phone. Windows recognized the phone but it never showed up as a drive or anywhere else. HTC Sync app also never actually found the phone. Ran the .exe and it found it, flashed stock image and once rebooted after installing, was found by windows and HTC sync.

Crisis averted.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting anywhere. The program says it cannot detect my phone, despite various attempts to power it by holding down power button etc. I have HTC Sync Manager.

When the phone is connected in device manager it shows up sometimes, it constantly says it is attempting to install drivers, then failing, then starting again, endless loop in the background and on my system tray. And the program always comes back with Error[170]: USB CONNECTION ERROR - The ROM update utility cannot connect to your android phone. Please check that the U SB cable is connected....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol