Group MMS solution

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys coming from an iPhone and windows phone 7 and used to having group mms, where I can send a txt to a few people and we can all reply to all in one text. I notice when I send a group txt to friends I now get reply backs individually from each person instead of as a group txt instead opens a text instance for each person. Is there a work around, possibly third party app? Third party app that does not require everyone to have the app, meaning I would like this to be cross platform and native texting?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a few different 3rd party apps and texted 2 of my brothers who have iPhone's and none worked how BBM or imessage would. I would receive texts from both of them in a group message but they would only get my message and not each others.

So of course I'm on the same boat as you. I'd love for there to be like a universal imessage or BBM that worked for all devices without having to install an app. But as of right now I haven't found any.

beach447

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Try Whatsapp. Its a good third party app for group messages or chat and works with all major operating systems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Try Whatsapp. Its a good third party app for group messages or chat and works with all major operating systems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Does it require who ever I'm texting to be using whatsapp in order for group texting to be working properly?

Pauley

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I for one am glad the One X doesn't do "reply all". It could get awkward sometime (think Microsoft Outlook @ work with lots of recipients). It was funny at times when my friends didn't know the iPhones did that.

However, maybe someone who uses Handcent, Go SMS Pro, etc will comment. I tried those a while back on my old Evo and thought one had that option.

Sent from my HTC One X

Seggzy

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I installed GroupMe, i think thats what it was called, and created a group, my COD clan, and didnt really like it. So i uninstalled.

BUT

Now whe we text its in GROUP MODE!

plus one other person in the group has an android and it does it for HIM too. And he didnt do anything. Weird huh.

the message comes as a normal text from a crazy number. and in the message field it gives the person's name then the message.

it only works for the group you created. And i think it has to be all of them.

Reactions: adamtalife

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The whole point I don't want this to require people to have an app. Want to be able to work for when everyone texts me. I don't mind if I have to install but I do not want to have friends install anything.

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Little bit different thing here but related. My son who has an iPhone sent a group text to my husband and I, my husband who has a blackberry received it and I didn't. Tried couple times every time same thing....any suggestions why?

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The whole point I don't want this to require people to have an app. Want to be able to work for when everyone texts me. I don't mind if I have to install but I do not want to have friends install anything.

That was my thing. I installed groupme then texted my 3 brother's , 2 of which with iPhone's and it worked without them installing anything.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Group me doesn't function properly and people do need the app I think to work as tru convo mode.

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Groupme is working properly for me. Also, when I text me brother's who have iPhone's they receive a text notification like they normally would. It works how iMessage would.

They are not required to download any app to use group messaging.

aznguyen316

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
wanted to recommend groupme as well. Coming from iPhone I really wanted group messaging back. Groupme is pretty much the best option.

No one needs to have the 3rd party app installed. That's if you just want to text using your data plan and send pics.

Basically only ONE person needs to set up a group me account. Then he creates the group by adding in phone numbers. Anyone added to this group gets put into a phone number that is created FOR the group. So when you text in your default SMS app on your phone or even dumbphone, it sends to this created centralized number and redistributes the txt to the group with names that were assigned to the each texter. So no one has to have a 3rd party app installed. They just probably need unlimited Texts as it uses SMS this way and not data like iMessage does. Go sign up, add your friends to the group and check it out. Be aware that your friends hopefully don't mind getting a ton of texts as group messages can get pretty talkative at times.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Go SMS pro fixes this problem. I came from an iPhone, family all still does, so I can guarantee it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been using GroupMe for a little while now. More so lately since football started and fantasy football. It's a great service. The only knock I got against GroupMe is it'll lag sometimes. Basically I receive texts later than everyone else sometimes.

Have you come across any delayed text with go sms pro? Also does it use your data for group texts like GroupMe does?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Get everyone on Google+ and use the Messenger feature.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Adamtalife, I haven't noticed a lag via go SMS pro. Also its really just a wrapper for your SMS, so it counts against your text count.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

amandarcrowley

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I installed go SMSpro but all of the texts still come in individually. I know everyone is using an iphone group message, so is there a way for me to see it all in one group on my droid? how do you change the settings?

yosoyfiesta

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I installed go SMSpro but all of the texts still come in individually. I know everyone is using an iphone group message, so is there a way for me to see it all in one group on my droid? how do you change the settings?

Had this same problem so installed Go SMS for this as well. Make sure in Go SMS under settings > send settings > mms group chat. Make sure that is checked off

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance