Is there a way to limit searchable contacts in Messaging?

badduck

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
For example under phone contacts I can merge contacts, remove dupes or choose to only view one contact source such as sim card or gmail.

In the stock messaging app it seems like every single contact on the phone is searchable and there are many dupes and unwanted results. Does anyone know how to limit the searchable list?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The stock messaging app (which is called Messages version 4.0.0..... in settings / Apps) the search function searches the entire content of the message as well as just names. It doesn't search contacts at all.

When you start composing a message, and then tap the people button, it lists only contacts with phone numbers, (not email only contacts). But it has to show all numbers because you can't reliably tell which ones can receive text messages. Each person may have multiple phone numbers, and you have to have the option of texting to each one separately, which means the listings must be broken out into individual entries.

Google voice accounts can get text messages, and on Sprint just about any phone can get text messages. Same for Verizon.

So its working the way it is intended.

Reactions: badduck

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The only suggestion I have for you around this is to set a direct dial shortcut on one of your home screens. Then when you tap it you automatically bring up a new text to that specific number you chose.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums