My HTC One X(AT&T) 3 months later

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Today, Monday august 6th marks my 3 months owning this phone. After reading so much negative material/comments about HTC in general, and how they've failed with the One series, how they've failed with sense, I can't help to think that they're all wrong and probably all people who haven't even given their latest devices a fighting chance. You know, people who came in with a chip on their shoulder(maybe rightfully so).

Keep in mind, this is strictly based off my experience.

Sense 4.0 is amazing. I love it. I think HTC really hit the nail on the head with this, and should continue doing their thing. Minus the occasional crashing, which I have experienced A LOT less while running cleanROM 4.1(to rid the bloat, and the few customizations). I give the "skin" two thumbs up.

Battery life also is great. I would say I'm averaging 14-15 hours on a single charge with around 2.5-3 hours screen on time average. Just yesterday, I don't know what got in to my phone but I got just over 24 hours battery life and 5+ hours screen on time! That was a first for me. Regardless though, I don't need 24 hours battery life. 14 does the trick with the few hours screen time. It is more than enough for me.

I will say ALMOST everything about this phone makes it perfect, minus the slightly crippled multitasking. So I guess what I'm trying to say is 3 months later, this phone still has me hooked. Between the beautiful screen, beautiful design, awesome camera, sense, and awesome battery life if I had a choice I'd buy the One X again. Just an all round awesome phone and I look forward to HTC's future devices.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
This is a very interesting commentary to me since I'm just about to pull the trigger and get either the One X or the GS3.

I've been very hesitant to get the HOX due to the number of threads in this forum about people having problems with the phone. It appears that the various OEM's are inconsistent in how they manufacture causing people to have to exchange for a new one, or simply give up. However, I also realize most that post here are the PROBLEM owners.

What troubles me is the price drop which doesn't do much for establishing value.

Also, you say you've installed the cleanROM 4.1. As a total Android noob, I'd like to know if this is a difficult process and if it will void the warranty. I'm not a technophobe and learn things easily.

I think the screen on the HOX is far superior to the GS3 though the multi-tasking things sucks. I've read somewhere there is a work around for this issue as well and also wonder how your WiFi is working, and the GPS and Bluetooth also. ATT is bending over backwards to give me a good deal on whatever I choose, so I want to make the right decision. Thanks

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This is a very interesting commentary to me since I'm just about to pull the trigger and get either the One X or the GS3.

I've been very hesitant to get the HOX due to the number of threads in this forum about people having problems with the phone. It appears that the various OEM's are inconsistent in how they manufacture causing people to have to exchange for a new one, or simply give up. However, I also realize most that post here are the PROBLEM owners.

What troubles me is the price drop which doesn't do much for establishing value.

Also, you say you've installed the cleanROM 4.1. As a total Android noob, I'd like to know if this is a difficult process and if it will void the warranty. I'm not a technophobe and learn things easily.

I think the screen on the HOX is far superior to the GS3 though the multi-tasking things sucks. I've read somewhere there is a work around for this issue as well and also wonder how your WiFi is working, and the GPS and Bluetooth also. ATT is bending over backwards to give me a good deal on whatever I choose, so I want to make the right decision. Thanks

As far as the price drop, the only thing I can relate that to is the popularity contest with the gs3. Obviously the GS3 is way more popular the the HOX. Samsung did a great job advertising and they bring a great product to the table. Wether the s3 is a better phone compared to the HoX, not for me to decide I've never used one. All I was saying is I love my phone and imo its hard not to love.

I, also am a complete android noob/newb however it's supposed to used. After a little bit of researching I've become confident enough to flash a custom rom, just to find out its not as scary as it seems. It's pretty easy and if you decide to settle with the HoX me or any other competent HoX user can assist you. Also from what I've read it will void your warranty with HTC. So really all you gotta do is get insurance through another party like best buy or at&t.

I bought my phone on release day from AT&T, never had any wifi/bluetooth/GPS issues.

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The price drop I know is temporary. And anyway you get a lot more for your money.

I picked my one x up memorial Day weekend. I love it. The screen is phenomenal. The wifi issues were a hardware problem that has been resolved and you shouldn't have to worry about. Mine works great in any event.

The battery life is also really good. There is a specific type of user who needs a lot of storage so they can store and watch movies all day that might be better served with the Samsung. But if you use the phone primarily for Web browsing and streaming there is literally no way to consistently run down the battery without going over the data cap.

I have a friend who took me with him to buy a gs3 on Verizon yesterday. He's not great at technology so he had me set it up for him. After using the phone I walked away pretty happy with the one x. The only bummer is the multi tasking issue (which you can fix is you're willing to root).

VelfarreClubber

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
What is this multi-tasking issue? Can't kill running apps? Drains battery?

I too favor the HOX display over the GS3. Coming from a iPhone 4 I'm not a fan of the over prominent blues and reds on the GS3, the HOX has crisp whites probably better than the iPhone 4 which has a slight yellow hue.

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
What is this multi-tasking issue? Can't kill running apps? Drains battery?

The reason I returned mine in favor of the GS3 is that with third party apps, if you leave the app and then return to it, you have to start all over again. For example if you scroll down in Facebook to the 30th post and then switch over to check the weather for literally 5 seconds then return to Facebook, it reloads and you start at the top. Same for any game, Twitter, etc. It seems like HTC doesn't want to keep these apps open when you switch away, even if you return in just a few seconds. I wanted to toss it out the window as I have no desire to root. It was a shame, because the screen is incredible, but having to continually start from the beginning was too frustrating for me. GS3 doesn't have this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: VelfarreClubber

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen on the HOX kills the S3.
As far as the multitasking issue is concerned I'm fine with the occasional reloading. Still it's only a software issue which can be fixed with a ROM or a future update from HTC if they wanna(I hope so). But the screen on the S3 can't be changed so.... HOX all the way!

Author of NoobTech:
http://wp.me/2uu9r

locote25

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

The price drop may be because of a rumored One x making its way to the US with a rumored quad-core and Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean running stock. But you can't beat getting that super phone for just 100 bucks..... I think even radio shack is selling them for only 50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The price drop may be because of a rumored One x making its way to the US with a rumored quad-core and Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean running stock. But you can't beat getting that super phone for just 100 bucks..... I think even radio shack is selling them for only 50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

And if you only are spending that I wouldn't feel too bad after 2 years if you didn't get much resale value

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as the multitasking issue is concerned I'm fine with the occasional reloading. Still it's only a software issue which can be fixed with a ROM or a future update from HTC if they wanna(I hope so). But the screen on the S3 can't be changed so.... HOX all the way!

Author of NoobTech:
NoobTech

I agree completely. I played with my brother's GSIII and the screen had the typical bluish tint and nowhere near as crisp to me.

The HOX isn't without it's faults but I think Sense is much nicer looking than Nature UX on the SIII plus the design is better as is the amazing screen. I have no regrets about choosing this lesser of phones over the competition.

Reactions: kkapoorr

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site

Author of NoobTech:
http://wp.me/2uu9r

Man now we're gonna have all the samsung fan boys in here talkin mess. =. =

Reactions: kkapoorr

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no regrets about choosing this lesser of phones over the competition.

I personally don't think this is the lesser. I like the minimal affects Sense has vs the heavy-handed add-ons from Touchwiz. That alone makes this phone a BETTER of the phones. I also really love the camera on this baby. I'm a photographer, and coming from a Galaxy Nexus, I now feel like I have a point and shoot on me at all times. :D

I've kept the Nexus around as I'm also a developer, but the HOX is my daily driver because I just love this phone..

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The latest OTA update essentially fixes most of the multitasking problems. It now works as you would expect, plus, Sense uses much less memory with the update. Thsi si for the AT&T/ Rogers phone.

myrddincox

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well - I do have some perspective on this. I am also new to Android, replacing my iphone 4 with the SGIII a little over 3 weeks ago. Went crazy trying to decide between the SGII and the HOX - but eventually went with the SGIII, primarily because of the microSD. To help make my decision (and because of the price drop), I then traded in the SGIII for an HOX to give it a full evaluation. Now, after two weeks with the SGIII, and a week with the HOX, I will be keeping the HOX.

So, after my ordeal, I'll pass on my $0.02 in the hopes that it helps the folks still deciding (like one of the previous posts here).

There really are a lot of subtle differences between the two phones, and the real deciding factors are likely to vary from person to person depending on the nuances of their own habits. For me, the decision came down to; 1) the overall form factor/build differences between the HOX and the SGIII, and 2) the fact that Sense seems to fit the things I do with my phone (primarily email, text, and web surfing) somewhat better. This is obviously subjective, but I tend to like the button arrangement and features within each of these apps (primarily messaging, email, calendar, tasks) more in Sense than I did in TouchWiz. I don't need tons of storage and I have found battery life in both phones to be very comparable for the way I use the phone (although, if I was going to be doing much gaming, I would stick with the SGIII, primarily because I do think the AMOLED display coupled with a slightly bigger battery and more RAM is a bit more efficient for heavy gaming use).

Some thoughts to pass on:

1) Both phones are awesome. I love Android, and find in it the flexibility and power I was hoping for.

2) Multitasking is great on both. I can verify that, at least now, the switching back to another app does not force a 'refresh'.

3) I personally like the button arrangement on the HOX much better. Lots of folks complain about this, but on the SGIII, every time I tried to hit the power button, I would inadvertently hit the volume, and vice versa. I actually like having the power button on top, away from where I naturally grip the phone.

4) I have had zero issues with WiFi or other connectivity. Both phones were comparable in terms of signal strength for both WiFi and 4G in my experience. However, we do not have LTE in my area. (This may also impact battery life for others.)

5) I also very much like the capacitive button options on HOX with the latest Sense update. Being able to allow the 'multitasking button' to perform as both a menu button, and the multitasker has worked great for me.

6) Both screens are great... but I found the screen on the SGIII to be especially hard to discern in sunlight. It was a real pain to see the Caller ID, or even see where to swipe to answer, if I happened to be in full sunlight.

Hope this helps those still deciding...

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
myrddincox.. Very well done and I'm grateful for the detail you went into. It's good to hear your experiences with the HOX have been positive, though browsing this forum, those who have not post often. It would appear that the problems posted here are in the minority, though some of them are just plain ugly. Like one thread where the person returned their phone multiple times only to keep experiencing the same issues as the previous one. Of course, I had to exchange my OLD iPhone 3G no less than 5 times due to battery. The difference as you know, is that Apple stores are everywhere and they were more than willing.

Regardless, the GS3 has a tone of features of which many are pointed out in the daily AC stories such as today with the phone app. I have always liked the screen on the HOX for the same reasons, though the small battery and lack of storage was of concern. That said, I can live with only 12 or so free GB since I'm not a gamer or store endless videos. But I do have concerns about the build and some reviews where battery was poor at best (check out the Heels and Tech review after 5 days). Anyway, as I say, I'm grateful for your insights and will visit the ATT store to see if their demo has been updated and experience the changes.

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I am on my third one x... Tried it twice before... keep coming back... The camera alone is worth it... We will see what the iP5 brings to the table, but I am happy with the X!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
vjr: your THIRD device in how long a period? And are you on the 30 day trial period?

myrddincox: It's actually as the title says, "Sense 4.1 running on Android 4.0.4" which is not Jellybean. What's also interesting when you go to the XDA site is that in the procedure under "How to Flash" it says 'download ROM and place it on your SD card".. What SD card??? LOL I'm guessing this is for an International version not the ATT one at all.. Anyway thanks for posting.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
vjr: your THIRD device in how long a period? And are you on the 30 day trial period?

myrddincox: It's actually as the title says, "Sense 4.1 running on Android 4.0.4" which is not Jellybean. What's also interesting when you go to the XDA site is that in the procedure under "How to Flash" it says 'download ROM and place it on your SD card".. What SD card??? LOL I'm guessing this is for an International version not the ATT one at all.. Anyway thanks for posting.

They mean the internal sd card. International one x has no ad cars allot either, but a 32gb option