Maps eating battery

myrddincox

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Folks - I recently noticed Maps eating up my battery, even when I was not using the Maps app. After some poking around, I saw this showing up in a variety of forums, and it did not necessarily seem to be restricted to the HOX.

However, I did pin the issue down on my HOX, and thought I would pass my experience along. I managed to figure out that it was the "enable location" option in the stock browser that would cause the GPS to run incessantly (showing up as "Maps"). I was able to narrow it down because I normally use Chrome, and happened to fire up the stock browser right before the issue appeared. After some trial and error, I was able to verify the connection.

Hope this helps somebody!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks!

In case the drain isn't H0X-specific I just disabled it on my GNex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
However, I did pin the issue down on my HOX, and thought I would pass my experience along. I managed to figure out that it was the "enable location" option in the stock browser that would cause the GPS to run incessantly (showing up as "Maps").

Great find, but its not the whole answer. I have that option turned on, and always have, and NEVER have I seen any significant battery use by maps.

So there must be some other issue combined with that setting that is causing battery use.

In Settings / Location, I have all buttons checked. Is that what you have as well?

Do you exit your browser with it sitting on a page that tracks location or uses location? Especially if that page might refresh in the background.

(Google News does both, as do others. To see the sites that do this, open the browser and go to Menu / Settings / Privacy / Enable Location. Check or uncheck the sites you allow, or turn the feature off totally).

Some say the stock HTC Clock/Weather app uses this as well if it is set incorrectly.

myrddincox

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes - all four of the options under the Settings/Location are checked.

I went through a bunch of apps that I thought might be trying to track location before tying it to the browser. It was actually via the Android Central app (where I clicked some link) that started the stock browser initially. Don't remember exactly what the site was, but I would guess that you are probably right that it was some site that was the culprit.

AllI know for sure was that disabling the "enable location" in the browser immediately cleared up the issue.

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
You need to make sure that its taken out of your recent apps menu because thats what drains your battery as it seems to be one of the apps that doesnt have an issue about being put into the background.

It will continue to keep your position up to date so make sure its completely closed.

hc_1540

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It was actually via the Android Central app (where I clicked some link) that started the stock browser initially. .

Don't want to derail the topic but I see this every so often when browsing AC using Chrome on my One S. I'll click on a news item and the stock browser loads. Anyone know why this is??

myrddincox

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't want to derail the topic but I see this every so often when browsing AC using Chrome on my One S. I'll click on a news item and the stock browser loads. Anyone know why this is??

I have noticed several apps that default to the stock browser when any sort of link is clicked. I haven't found a way to set a default browser yet (haven't really looked too hard), but it is weird that this would happen from Chrome.

Check that: Settings/App Associations... changes the default browser.

Last edited: