Beats audio.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Exactly.

But there's method to this madness.

Too base heavy is designed to compensate for base challenged earbuds.

If you have quality headphones, or even allegedly quality ear buds, you don't need beats.

With any headphones under $50, beats sounds better.

Just you wait Kevin, you will get old some day too. Damn wippersnappers with perfect hearing? :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I use beats with some Sennheiser 558s when home, and the same when at work (because I hate my coworkers). It sounds fine. I had a 3rd party equalizer, but I'd find myself constantly adjusting for the music I was listening to at the time (I have a wide range of musical tastes) and it got so darned annoying that I just decided to forget about it and switch to beats all the time. It's not terrible, I think it does a fine job detected to what I'm listening and adjusting.

thewalmartguy

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Beats software is also designed to pull out frequencies lost in the audio compression, similar to dm+ in some Sony radios. I use it in my car (Boston acoustic sub and door speakers, 500 watts rms, quality over volume) and it is a big difference in all types of music.

It pulls out high and low frequency. This is for more than bass hads. From a drum point of view, I can hear the cymbals and snare better in metal and rock. In country, it pulls the lower tones out which can get lost easily following the drums or rhythm guitar. In rap, it makes the bass quality sound better but it still pulls out high frequency better than my iPod nano.

On cheap headphones, I can't tell a big difference. Anything I have plugged it into that is mid to high quality I can tell. I would never buy beats headphones, but the software does work if you have the right set up to hear it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Beats software is also designed to pull out frequencies lost in the audio compression, similar to dm+ in some Sony radios. I use it in my car (Boston acoustic sub and door speakers, 500 watts rms, quality over volume) and it is a big difference in all types of music.

It pulls out high and low frequency.

This might make sense if it were not for the fact that compression does NOT compress out certain frequencies as opposed to others. You are confusing Dolby with compression. Further there is no standard compression algorithm used when creating mp3 files, there are many different compression profiles used, and many different compression software packages use by the labels.

Most of the compression profiles actually emphasize bass for rock and heavy metal.
Further, this phone plays far more than mp3. Lossless AAC files, which should sound perfect with Beats turned off, also get boosted bass and treble and increased separation with beats turned on.

No, beats attempts to improve sound by compensate for the failings of earbuds, and cheap headsets. It knows nothing about the compression involved.
It does known about the TYPICAL capabilities of headsets and the limitations of bluetooth.

Kevin mentioned the capabilities of the DAC. It might well be that beats has internal configuration settings that let it attempt to compensate for limitations of the dac embedded in the phone.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

thewalmartguy

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Let me word that a bit differently.

In mp3, I keep my setting at 320. I have a seven band eq that cannot match the beats profile. I can also tell difference between CD, flac and mp3. I can tell I lose highs and lows in most digital formats. Im going by hearing, not technical. That seemed to make more sense to me since this is a subjective conversation. I should have said that in my previous post. I wasn't trying for misinformation, just chiming my opinion.

What I meant by pull out the frequencies lost is that it can do more than my eq can. Everyone who has heard it can tell the difference in my stereo wherevthey can't on theirs.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It looks like HTC has heard the cries, and has finally put in better hardware to go with the Beats software!

Only it's in the 8X Windows Phone and not Android. Booooo!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles