HTC One X: Data sucking, can't figure out what it is...

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, new here and such. I've found other threads questioning whether the HTC One X is a data hog. The first time I noticed a problem on my phone was when I was on O2 in Germany a few weeks ago. It said I used over 2gb of data in just a couple of weeks, when the phone's data usage monitor only said 20 or 30mb. I started scouring the forum and other sites and couldn't figure out what it was. At the suggestion of some sites, I downloaded "My Data Manager" just to cover my ass.

I'm now in Montenegro, and I purchased a ?20, 2gb prepaid card for my phone. In less than a week, it said I used all the data. Both the phone's data usage monitor and the My Data Manager app match and show that I used only 9mb. I rarely use data and have wi-fi in my place. I don't use email on my phone; I mainly use it for translate and other piddly things. Everything the phone tells me on all data logs say that I used a total of 9mb. Yet here I am, five days into a 2gb card, and it's telling me I'm out of credit. WTH?

Anyone have any ideas? I never download music or watch youtube or anything, and the strange thing to me is that both data monitors show what looks realistic to what I've been doing. So amazingly aggravating.

I want to go back to the T-Mobile store and ask, but they're not exactly pros here. I also don't want to buy more data if I don't know what the problem is and cannot control it. I should also say that, outside of this annoying issue, I love this phone like crazy.

Thanks!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I assume you are on an international version?

Face book user? Disable it in Apps until you actually need it.
Accounts and Sync: Check only those things you actually need to sync.
That HTC weather app can use a LOT of data trying to figure out where you are, and in some locations it just goes bonkers and causes maps to suck down a lot of data.
Scroll down on the usage graph to see what is using all the data.

In the Usage tab, my phone has a button that allows me to turn off data connectivity unless wifi is available. That might help.
There is also a setting button on that screen that allows you to restrict background data (for when the phone is asleep).

Under Settings / About,
Tap Tell HTC
There is a item called Report Usage to HTC. You can opt out of that, or you can leave it on, (your choice) but tap the bottom option and limit it to only sending when on Wifi.

But why it uses more data than your phone says is a real mystery.
The usage screen specifically states that there may be a difference, but it never explains why, or that that data is.
I suppose you could find one of their corporate stores and challenge the bill and demand a list of all data connections.
It takes a lot of time checking this stuff out. It used to come on my AT&T bill, many years ago, then you had to go on line
and request it, then it got harder and harder to get a full list, and you had to specifically request and wait for the list
to be generated. I ed, (because I was tracking down a high-data user on a corporate account, and it got so hard
to fetch the data that AT&T just waived the data overage charge).

Take a look at my bloatware list, and see if some of these could be disabled on your phone.

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Facebook: No. I disabled the app when I was still in Germany after reading about its data suckage. I only use it on the mobile website, and that's very rare.

Accounts & Sync: The only things on are my phone's gmail (which I never use...literally), Show Me, Skype (which I also never use), and What's App (which uses very little data).

Report Usage to HTC: No. That's also been turned off since I was in Germany.

As for data usage reported vs. what they say I'm using...it's just insanity. I truly, rarely use data on this thing. All of the reporting for all apps on both the phone's data usage report and the My Data Manager report look correct, 100%. They both say I've used 9mb since Sept. 12th, and it's actually been disabled for two days since T-Mobile CG said I ran out of credit. Same sh*t with O2.

This is really aggravating the hell out of me. I need to buy more data in a bad way, so I can use the few apps I use; but there's no way in hell I'm going to drop another ?20 for 2gb only to have it mysteriously vanish in five days again. *pulling hair out...which is difficult since I have a buzz cut*

It'd be one thing if both data reporting apps were saying I had crazy data usage. That's the problem I always find on the web/forums: People who have crazy data hogging by Android OS or Media or something else. That's not the case for me; the data reporting looks proper. The fact that the carriers are telling me I'm hogging data, and I'm not (not that I know of), and usage is showing I'm not, and I can't find anyone else with this problem or pinpoint the problem, is just making me insane.

Apps I already had disabled: EA Games, Facebook, Facebook for HTC Sense, Flickr.

Apps I have that were on your list, which I just disabled: 7Digital, Automotive Traffic, Friend Stream, Friend Stream Lock Screen, Friend Stream Widget, Google+, Internet Radio, Jetcet Print, Jetcet Print Resources, Lava Flow Live Wallpaper, News & Weather, Notes Painter, Notes Provider, SoundHound, Stock Widget, Stocks, Stocks Lock Screen, Tasks, Tasks Widget, Trends Widget, TripWidget, TuneIn Radio, Twitter, Twitter for HTC Sense, Twitter Widget.

Arrrrrrrrgh. Thanks for your insight though!

Fraggle79

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
It takes a while, but try going to each app in the market and checking reviews. Usually someone else has the same problem and posts a review on the app.

Ichwardort

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So your not on ICS yet, because there you have the true data usage of your phone by wifi and cellular connection with the possibility of disabling background data for certain applications?!

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So your not on ICS yet, because there you have the true data usage of your phone by wifi and cellular connection with the possibility of disabling background data for certain applications?!

Of course I'm on ICS...it's a brand new HTC One X purchased in July 2012. What you said is my exact problem mentioned in the original post: The usage statistics in the phone are showing what I also think is correct (9mb in 5 days). It's the carrier that's saying I used 2gb on my pre-paid card. It happened in Germany in August with O2, and it happened again this past week in Montenegro with T-Mobile CG.

---------- Post Merged at 04:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:55 AM ----------

It takes a while, but try going to each app in the market and checking reviews. Usually someone else has the same problem and posts a review on the app.

I will do that now. The most aggravating thing is that I can't find anyone else with this problem haha. If I could, it might be easier to find out what the hell is going on.

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just took a few screenshots of both the internal data usage statistics and the My Data Manager statistics. All of these match. As you can see, they both register low data usage and what I think is correct since I don't use much. I'm going to the T-Mobile CG office today because I need to re-up (even though I don't want to until this is solved), and I will try to ask them if they can find out what their system says is being used. We have a bit of a language barrier here, but I'll try.

The period shown here is from the day I activated the card until now, although the card was totally used and ran out a couple of days ago...

usage1.jpg

usage2.jpg

usage3.jpg

mydata1.jpg

mydata2.jpg

mydata3.jpg

WalterReason

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
@MisterAngryFace:

Have you tried calling HTC tech support line? After you get done talking to the entry level people who answer they might refer you to someone higher up who can actually explain what all that extra data is, and how you can turn it off.

I think this page has all the numbers Contact us

If you already thought of that, sorry, this is my first post.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I just took a few screenshots of both the internal data usage statistics ----

For reference, here is my stats for (almost) a month, on an international HOX which spends most of its time on wifi...

2012-09-20_11-32-10.png
2012-09-20_11-32-34.png

So 182 Meg for the month.
Snapshot of portion of my Bill, (from AT&T's web page)

Capture.JPG

So you can see that AT&T actually shows LESS usage than my phone. (169Meg)
Now AT&T states that their on-line might be a day or two behind actual usage, but still the agreement between the phone statistics and the carrier statistics is pretty close.

So Mr Angry should simply NOT have that wide discrepancy.

He burned 2 GIG according to his carrier, but only used 9.66meg according to the phone, and that's clearly just wrong. There is no indication from my stats that show the phone's measurements to be THAT FAR wrong.

Last edited:

anon(961671)

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a programme called ZDbox and you can set your total data usage there. I only have 100mb free monthly and never go over my limit. Only use 3G for emergencies. Also warning alerts for different percentages. Free from android market.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a programme called ZDbox and you can set your total data usage there. I only have 100mb free monthly and never go over my limit. Only use 3G for emergencies. Also warning alerts for different percentages. Free from android market.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

This is built into the HOX already. No need for an app. Check the screen shots above.

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So Mr Angry should simply NOT have that wide discrepancy.

He burned 2 GIG according to his carrier, but only used 9.66meg according to the phone, and that's clearly just wrong. There is no indication from my stats that show the phone's measurements to be THAT FAR wrong.

Precisely. Sorry I've been away...lots of traveling and not wanting to mess with my phone. I have an update for this and it's not anything good...

I'm now in Spain, and set up a monthly prepaid with Vodafone that allows me 2gb per. And you can already guess what happened...Less than a week later and all of my credit is burned. Of course, the phone shows that I've used a whopping 7mb of data (which is accurate), but Vodafone says I've used 2gb. WTF!!!!! For non-data, I've used about 10 minutes of talk and maybe 2 SMS messages.

I can't take it anymore. It's clearly the phone. Exact same problem in Germany with O2, Montenegro with T-Mobile, and now Spain with Vodafone. The absolute worst part of this is that I can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried everything (previous posts), and nothing solves it. I've come to the point where I'm willing to buy a new phone, but I really have this fear that the same problem will arise on whatever new phone I buy. What the hell.

Anyone? Anyone? This is just complete insanity. I'm going to Vodafone today, but I obviously have no hopes of success anymore. Regardless, thanks to all of you for prior and future input. Maybe someday, someone will actually figure out what's going on.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you contacted HTC directly about this problem?

You are the only one I've ever heard of that has such a wide discrepancy. You would think they would buy it back from you just to find this problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a good new for you and a bad one. I have exactly the same problem. When I turn to data from wifi, my HOX is starting to non stop draining data. In a question of a hour, its able to drain 70 mb out of NOTHING. I live in Spain and have the international version. So finally, you are not the only one. That was the good new :-\ . The bad one is that since I put a data plan, Ive not be able to solve it, even with my actual custom rom. The thing is that some data monitor apps are able to detect this hogging, and others not. Try to install onavo count, and after 15 minutes it may tell you which app is draining your data. In my case it detects that is HTC apps the bigger drainer, 90% of the consumption. This app have an option to restrict apps to wifi, but not able for HTC apps. Also I recommend you -Data usage defender-which provides you an data firewall that allows you to select which apps can use data (you need to be rooted for that amazing option), but again, HTC apps not showed in the list, this even dont detects the drainer but is able to count the data usage. Ive tryed many other apps, but somehow Ive find this 2 ones usefull. Hope it can helps to calm a bit your agony. Until now I only turn on the data sometimes when Im not in a wifi network. But when I do, Im aware that it will drain at least 20MB.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante