Why I chose the HTC One X over the Galaxy SIII

djkest

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I am now an official HTC fanboy. I am also getting an HTC OneX for my wife and mom.

Previous phone was a Samsung Captivate. In some ways, the phone was amazing. But it was also very buggy, froze often, lagged, and dissapointed. Amazingly, this did not turn me off on Android and I'm glad it didn't. It was upgrade time so I started doing my research. I'll admit I like being "different" and that may have influenced my decision.

HTC One X (in comparison to the SIII)
+Better Screen
+Better Ergonomics
+Lower cost
+I prefer Sense UI to Touchwiz (although Touchwiz isn't bad now)
-Camera on GS3 is probably SLIGHTLY better and has more features
-GS3 has some nifty software features such as shake to update
-GS3 probably has better battery life ( I am used to charging every day)
-GS3 has upgradeable storage (I didn't fill up half of my previous phone)

Screen- I know this will be controvercial to some, but I like the OneX screen better than the GS3. I am a big fan of AMOLED displays. But reading about screen brightness and color accuracy of IPS displays vs. the AMOLED led me in this direction, and my eyes confirmed it. The OneX has more brightness, more accurate colors, and better display of text. The AMOLED has more saturation and contrast, and has better black levels.

Ergonomics- I found the GS3 to be just slightly too big for some reason, and the 1-x just felt better in my hand. It's a small thing.

I'm not going to lie, the price was also a factor. At this point I hope the lack of upgradable storage won't hurt me. I have a small data plan as I dont' usually use a lot of data.
FWIW, I got my 1-x and case for free from Best Buy after trading in my Captivate. Initial impressions from using the phone for 3 hours have been very good. The UI is totally lag free and I like the changes they have made to ICS.

MonumentSquare

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the GS3 for about 3weeks before trading it in for HOX. For some reason, the GS3 definitely seems wider.

When I had the GS3 I was thinking that I couldnt imagine a screen being any better than that. But, the HOX is. Not by much, though.

The multitasking is the one downer. But I rarely notice that it is the way it is.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I chose the HTC One X over the Galaxy S3

I just bought a 1X having walked into the ATT store certain I would walk out with the GS III. But my eyes are not the greatest, and trying to read the GSIII screen with my work glasses (set for monitor distance) was impossible. Just made my eyes ache. I had seen the 1X screen before & knew it was good, so I had the ATT guy grab the 1X and bring it next to the Sammie. NO comparison - samsung on max brightness was like the 1X at 75%, and even then the 1X was sharp enough I could read text easily.

The screen on the 1X is just amazing, and though the build quality and looks are nice too, I knew I'd be popping it into a case...so it is the screen I'll be looking at for the next 2 yrs. Finally the color pallette used by Samsung in their UI is a total turnoff. Like watching a bad anime video.

Sound through headphones is really damn good too and I plan on a pair of BTooth sennheiser APTx headphones for Xmas :)

OK the down sides - why I did not default to the 1X:
RE the battery, if after a year or two I have to get it replaced, I'm in no worse shape than anyone with an iphone (better, with a massive screen and anyway android kicks iOS rear end for function IMHO). I had a juicepack for my 3GS when I traveled, was not the end of the world.

as for storage, I would have loved a 32 GB model, but I spent a couple hours listening to my tunes on google play last night (uploaded my lib) and using the cloud makes sense.

Certainly having an sdcard slot in the case would have been great. But now with stuff like dropbox & skydrive integration, it just doesn't seem as important. Long as I can get a few movies on there for long plane flights I am good.

If HTC comes out with a 32 GB model and an SDcard slot they will have a killer product.

---------- Post Merged at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:59 PM ----------

BTW I did not see the multitasking issue - OK only a day of heavy use, but came back to some apps 10 deep in the queue after half an hour & still had state. Maybe the latest FW loosened that up?

djkest

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why I chose the HTC One X over the Galaxy S3

I haven't noticed any issues with multitasking. In fact, it seems to work pretty well. I hit the button, all the windows pop up and I can go back and forth pretty easily. Maybe there is an issue I am not aware of.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
The issue and annoyance is that it does not save the state that the app was in before exiting. It always reloads a webpage when I switch over to a browser or re-opens a game. When I switch over to an app after some non-use time I should pick up in the exact same spot I left it in. This is the single most annoying thing about this phone, I know I can root and take care of it but I shouldn't have to and don't really want to at the moment (I'm not fed up with it enough).

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking works fine for me. When I first got the phone it would sometimes refresh apps, but as of late everything's been working fine. I'm a little concerned about the battery (knock on wood) going kaput on me before upgrade time, but my mom has been using nothing but iPhones for the past four years, and I've been using iPod touches and they've all been well. I could be wrong as they're all different devices, but other than that I love this phone. A removable battery would give me some peace of mind, but I don't plan on leaving this baby behind in the near future. :p

I used to have an S3, but traded it in for a HOX because it had a ton of issues (slow WiFi, frequent crashes, overheating). I like the screen on the HOX better cause I can see it in the sun, unlike the S3, plus I don't have to live in fear of screen burn in. I do miss all the bells and whistles of the S3, but it just didn't work for me.

Sent from my HTC One X

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol