Good external battery?

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I'm flying down to Colorado for Thanksgiving, and I'd like to get an external battery to use on the plane to carry me over while I watch movies on my phone during the flight. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my HTC One X

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Never buy from Brookstone.
Period.

Anker power banks. Check them out on Amazon.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Never buy from Brookstone.
Period.

Anker power banks. Check them out on Amazon.

I was actually looking at those a while back, seems like a good choice.

How much capacity did you buy?

Sent from my HTC One X

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the 8400mha version because its small and can charge both my phone and my wife's and still have enough for at least one more charge, maybe two topping charges.

We've been on extended travel to the east coast and ended up using it almost every day due to the weak cell regions we were in.

I could easily get 3 to 5 days out of it if I were using just my phone. But I've been using Google maps a lot.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
There's a great 5000mah Chinese generic external battery on amazon for 19 bucks. Always keeps me charged when I need it.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
One thing to remember when considering these colossal back up batteries; There is a size limitation to spare lithium ion batteries that can be used as carry on when flying. It seems to vary some between the sizes but the last time I checked it was much less than some of those above listed options. So, check first with the TSA or risk "donating" your new massive battery to the bucket with over sized liquids.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
One thing to remember when considering these colossal back up batteries; There is a size limitation to spare lithium ion batteries that can be used as carry on when flying. It seems to vary some between the sizes but the last time I checked it was much less than some of those above listed options. So, check first with the TSA or risk "donating" your new massive battery to the bucket with over sized liquids.

I don't plan on carrying some colossal brick of a battery with me. Probably something small enough I can fit in my wallet.

Of course, I can always suck it up and just charge when I land, but my parents are going to be flooding me with calls, so I probably should have enough juice to hold a convo :p

Sent from my HTC One X

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
These aren't big. Look at the spec sheet on Amazon. They fit in a shirt pocket. With room to spare. You can get your phone in the same pocket.

Using the short cord, you can even charge the phone while it is in your pocket.

Last edited:

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok... sorry. just trying to help.
I was not referring to the physical size but the storage size.

Sorry? For what? I should be sorry, in case I came off a little mean.

And yeah, I thought you were referring to the physical size. I checked the TSA's site yesterday, but I couldn't see anything on it. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough? :confused:

Sent from my HTC One X

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
No problem. Perhaps, I'm overly sensitive. In any event: Most of the new regulations come from a single incident wherein someones laptop caught fire.
Here's a linky but it would be best to check with the airline you'll be taking.

Lithium Ion Transportation | IDX Tek

Dude, do you realize the size of the battery they are worried about?!!!
The smallest battery class mentioned is 10 times the size of available External batteries commonly on the market.

The Largest I'm aware of is the Anker 10000mha battery, which equates to 10Wh.

The page quotes the regs as saying:
Lithium Ion Batteries less than 100Wh
You can safely carry on-board an unlimited amount of spare batteries, provided you take precautions by covering any exposed terminals with tape or put them in an insulated plastic bag.

Further, if the batteries are installed in a device (The Anker battery pack is a sealed device) you don't even have to put them in a plastic bag.

Mountain / Molehill.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I remember bringing this bad boy along with me when I flew to the Philippines last year. I can imagine international travel is much more strict than domestic, but TSA let me through without any hassle. :)

And before you all say I should save some bucks and just bring this, it barely holds a charge, and in turn it probably won't keep my phone alive and/or give it juice needed when I land :p

Sent from my HTC One X

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352351420640.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352351420640.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 37

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Dude, do you realize the size of the battery they are worried about?!!!
The smallest battery class mentioned is 10 times the size of available External batteries commonly on the market.

The Largest I'm aware of is the Anker 10000mha battery, which equates to 10Wh.

The page quotes the regs as saying:

Further, if the batteries are installed in a device (The Anker battery pack is a sealed device) you don't even have to put them in a plastic bag.

Mountain / Molehill.

Oops... my bad.

Last edited:

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mango.! Haha,cheak this one out bud,its 12000mAh. :eek: I have one of these and carry it to charge my one x on the go. It's definitely worth the price. :thumbup:

New Trent IMP120D iCarrier 12000mAh Heavy Duty 2A/1A Dual USB Ports External Battery Pack for the Latest Apple iPhone 5, the new iPad, iPad2, iPhone 5/4S/4/3Gs/3G, iPod Touch all versions; Samsung Galaxy Note/Nexus/S3/S2/S; HTC Titan, Sensation, ONE
Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

Thanks SenseMonkey, and everyone. I was wondering the same things then found this thread.

Some things I came across, for me.
-No Anker, too big
-No Brookstone

Sense, I was considering the Newtrent you were, the IMP120D and I saw the NT120T. The only difference I see is that there is no wall charger. could you help me by telling me the difference.

And then there were two on ATT a Mobie and an iSound, which I could get elsewhere.

iSound Back-up Battery 16,000 mAh - Universal accessories from AT&T
Mophie Powerstation 4000mAh tablet battery accessories from AT&T

So of the 4, which would you recommend. If I think it out I would say that if the ATT are incredible, then one of those, but otherwise, no way, too expensive. Then I would go with one of the NewTrents. Probably the one you said, only because it comes with a charger.
If you could clarify great.

Last, I don't know the difference in an external battery and a battery pack. Someone asked me what I need. I thought they were the same

Thanks all
Eric

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
12000mha is overkill unless you are homeless and only get time to charge once a week.

The 8500mAh Anker is smaller than the HOX.
The 10000mHa Anker is only 3mm taller than the HOX.

Like I said, 8500mAh will charge your HOX 4 times before it needs to be recharged itself.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey Ice, not sure if you read my questions tho, but if you can get two batteries for same amount of money (ten buck difference) and one is 12000 and a half inch smaller in one dimension, tied in the others, wouldn't you get it. Newtrent imd20 vs Anker Astro 3
Do one of those two brands have a more reputable name and are they more reliable?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance