Fed up with stock battery life

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had the One X for a few months, tried going the rooted route but its not for me, I rely on my phone and need to have it stock. At my job, I get less then 8 hours on HSPA "4G". At home on wifi, I get 12 hours max. I'm so sick of looking for my charger while my iPhone family and friends are still going strong, that I'm considering jumping ship to Windows Phone 8 or back to Blackberry when version 10 comes out. Is it just my phone or are people having similar experiences? I really want to love this phone but the battery life is not acceptable for my life style.

This is sent from my iPad because surprise surprise, my One X is on the charger right now, unplugged at 6:15am this morning, cannot make it a full day, which by my definition, would be until 10pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
That't funny.

My iPhone friends are always looking for chargers before me.

Why not look at some of the bloatware installed on the phone to see who is using the bandwidth, making sure "Best WIFI Performance" is off, and also that there isn't LTE creeping into your area, which takes more battery.

Look into the usual culprets:
Facebook app,
Multiple video-chat apps waiting for connections, keeping your radio's from sleeping.
Frequent mail checking of pop accounts (always use Imap - always avoid pop).

Search the forums for Bloatware. There is a big list of it that I posted some time back.
Go into settings, and disable everything you don't use. (Some you can't disable).

I routinely get 18 hours on a busy day, and 20 on a non busy day. And its not like I don't use the phone either. Its never far from
my hand. While travelling in weak signal areas, I've seen battery life drop to about 10 hours, but by that time, I'm on EDGE
(in the boon docks).

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I removed most widgets and tried to identify as many rogue apps as possible. I've been able to go from 2-6 hours on a battery to 4-8 hours (though it's hard to say exactly how much I'm getting since it's on it's charger all the time). On those rare days where the phone sits in standby all or most of the day, it probably gets 10-12 hours. I think there are 3 main issues:
1. the software (sense) is certainly to blame for some of the atrocious numbers since it seems to not recognize when an app is sucking battery and will let it simply keep draining the battery. Some apps I've gotten rid of, others I try to remember using the back button until it exits instead of the home button.
2. LTE. I'm in an area with spotty LTE coverage. Would be great if you had the option to turn it off.
3. The screen. It's big and beautiful. The tradeoff is that it uses more power than a smaller screen (iphone) or a less beautiful one (samsung's with pentile).

adamtalife

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Stock ROM doesn't have the ability to turn LTE off? Settings-mobile network

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352773066732.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352773066732.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 268
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352773074465.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352773074465.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 269

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I removed most widgets and tried to identify as many rogue apps as possible. I've been able to go from 2-6 hours on a battery to 4-8 hours (though it's hard to say exactly how much I'm getting since it's on it's charger all the time). ).

Two to 6 hours?

Are you serious, or exaggerating?

Two hours would have me pounding on AT&T's door at oh-dark-30 in the morning with daggers in my eyes.

Like I said, i have no trouble getting 18 hours out of this phone even when on cellular, let alone wifi.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Two to 6 hours?

Are you serious, or exaggerating?

Two hours would have me pounding on AT&T's door at oh-dark-30 in the morning with daggers in my eyes.

Like I said, i have no trouble getting 18 hours out of this phone even when on cellular, let alone wifi.

As Adamlife hints, see if you can lock it on the second to the last setting.

Mexico619

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
i find that odd since i get usually around 15 hours if i use it a good bit. i have the at&t version and while i don't have LTE, i can get pretty much a whole day of use if i use it lightly otherwise it vary from 12-20 hours. during that time i use pandora for a while since im in school, facebook, youtube, web browsing, a little gaming.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Stock ROM doesn't have the ability to turn LTE off? Settings-mobile network

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

The At&t model doesn't.. you must have the international one right.? Here's a screen shot of my AT&T one x.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352781164822.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352781164822.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 242

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, look for apps that use up battery. Also, if your accounts (Facebook, weather, etc) sync often (several times a day), change the settings so they sync once a day or once every few hours.
If you're rocking your phone with the screen set at full brightness toggle the brightness down while you're at work.

Taking a few moments to do these things and what other members have suggested has made battery life a non-issue for me.

Now Faster & Smoother!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 4S. It barely lasted through the day until I fixed her settings the same as my HOX, which is still at 15-20% from 6am to about midnight. That's with auto sync on for emails and brightness at 25-50%.

If iPhone people get more than a day, it's because they don't use it much.

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with the stock weather/time widget on my phone. I really like the widget, but the weather part gets stuck and drains the battery bad. Even a restart doesn't help much.

I removed the widget and I get great batt times now. The only other thing I use is Easy Battery Saver because it does a good job of dimming the screen.

I'm hoping these things are fixed with Jelly Bean if we ever get it....

PS-You can tell the weather is eating battery because it will show that either google maps or the internet is using a bunch of power. Even if you have it in airplane mode with the mobile and gps and wifi off.

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been having problems with my One X again, stock build. I was at a half an hour of screen time today, and I was at 25% battery. Later, I was reading articles on reddit, and in a span of about 15 minutes, the phone went from 14% - 4%. Screen is set to auto, WiFi is only used when I'm in range of a good WiFi network. I'm about to factory default the thing again, and only put gmail and my work email and see how that goes. If that makes it better, then what's the point in having a smartphone. I want to be able to use the phone without feeling like I'm watching the battery drain from it.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been having problems with my One X again, stock build. I was at a half an hour of screen time today, and I was at 25% battery. Later, I was reading articles on reddit, and in a span of about 15 minutes, the phone went from 14% - 4%. Screen is set to auto, WiFi is only used when I'm in range of a good WiFi network. I'm about to factory default the thing again, and only put gmail and my work email and see how that goes. If that makes it better, then what's the point in having a smartphone. I want to be able to use the phone without feeling like I'm watching the battery drain from it.

How hot is your phone getting?

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I get great battery life, but there are a few things that really kill it that you have to watch out for.

The Weather thing I mentioned earlier is one of those things, and there are a couple others that I have figured out.
Airplane mode is a must for some people. Things like: riding the subway, going way out in the country, and working in The Batcave, all cause your phone to constantly search for signal and drain the battery bad. Sometimes it will even get stuck searching for signal even after it gets a good one and you may have to restart to correct the problem.

Signs that these things are going on are: bad battery life(The One X does really well unless something is going on. I get two days out of mine with moderate use.) The phone gets hot. The back of the phone will actually heat up and feel warm in your pocket. This is a sign that something is running that probably shouldn't be.

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
How hot is your phone getting?

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

When I use it to make calls, I do notice that it seems to get pretty hot. Other than that, I don't really notice any difference. I'll pay closer attention to it today and see.

EDIT: I've been off the charger for 5 hours now, and I'm at 45% battery. Only 30 minutes of screen time. Screen is the top item showing up under battery usage. If it was something like my email or facebook taking up the battery, wouldn't it show up in the list under apps and be pretty high?

Last edited:

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had this phone for two days. I unplugged my phone at 7:30am @100% and it was @3% at roughly 2:30-3pm. Going to my battery settings, it says the android os has used 72% of the battery. I have been at work all day, and used my phone for maybe 30 minutes to surf some net, zero phone calls or texting. This is plain terrible and I have to figure out what is causing it.

I did have wifi on with mobile network off on, but I had that set to turn off when it sleeps (but I am not sure wifi actually turns off) - and i have disabled a lot of the bloat and crap that was running on its own last night.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Set wifi to always stay on.
Never turn off when phone sleeps.

That saves battery. Leave mobile network data on too.

It takes virtually zero power for the phone to talk to the wifi router 20 feet away. It takes s lot more power to talk to a cell tower 3 miles away.

With wifi ALWAYS on, the phone will move all data connections to wifi, and shut down cell data. This saves tons of battery.

But if you let wifi shut down, then each time the phone sleeps, it has to negotiate all those connections all over again and put them back on expensive cellular.

If you also shut down cellular data, you got nothing, and mail checks, Facebook updates, and everything else is waking up, looking for a data route and finding nothing. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Guys: stop micromanaging your data channels. The phone is way better a that than you will ever be. The phone works for you. Not the other way around.

Get off Facebook. Get off pop3 mail. Or at least set them to update no more than once an hour. Have your Gmail account pop that raggedy old lame assed pop mail account for you.

Look into the running apps, and cached background processes. Disabled any you don't use.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance