Pretty bad battery life on 1X+ vs my 1X

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I could easily go through the day with moderate usage on my One X. 1 exchange account, 1 hotmail and my gmail, all set to push. With G+, and some other stuff doing background tasks.

Here I am with my new One X+, with roughly the same set up, a bigger battery, new optimized 4+1 core which makes that 1 core do most of the mundane work when the app requirement is low and yet I lose 30% from when I go to sleep to when I woke up. 30%!

Then, I don't even use the phone at all, it's sitting on my passenger seat and when I get to work, I check it and it's at 14%!

I've checked all the usual suspects, brightness, location, etc. Even all my apps are using less than 5%, but "Android OS" was up there at like 80%.. So I let it completely drain and am recharging it now to see if it can recalibrate the battery.. that's just insanely low battery life..

Anyone else experiencing bad battery life? I dont want to wipe the phone, but I will.. seems silly since I've not really done anything with the phone cept install some apps(same apps from my One X)

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed on my 1x that the android os usage was 80%+ when not doing anything except checking mail every two hours and it drained my battery from 100% to almost nothing in less than 8 hours and that is with less than 5% actual screen time. The rest it was just sitting there, doing its thing. I also tried it with sync and all data (cell, wifi) completely off and had nearly similar results. --I have since rooted and installed cm10 and have noticed better battery time when not using it at all.

Edit for grammar and clarification

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
When you got the new One X, did you go thru and disable all the bloatware that you had previously disabled on the One X?

Lots of usage showing up as Andorid OS is an indication that some tasks in the background is being launched by the OS and chewing up the battery.
Look for things using your radios, by checking the Usage under More... in the Wireless & Networks section in the settings. Look for things using data.

Oh, and don't forget to go into your Apps and shut off everything you don't use by disabling it. (Don't forget that "Rescue" backdoor that HTC snuck onto the phone.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed that Google Currents was chewing through some data, even though I told it to update only on WIFI.. pretty odd, not sure if that's a bug or not, but I disabled it from doing background updates.

I expected BETTER battery life on the 1X+.. I just went through and disabled all the AT&T bloat, so we'll see how it goes.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Sniffs: File a bug report with Google about currents.

Oh, and don't forget to set auto brightness on. It saves a lot.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat...I just returned a HOX for the HOX+ and so far the battery life isn't better at all. I'm going to keep an eye on what apps are running, such as all that ATT crapware.
Right now, its on the charger, and I'll take it off when it gets to 100% then let it sit through the night to see what happens. I hope this is truly something that can be fixed with an update, but isn't that power saving core supposed to be taking care the battery? 2100 mah battery, all radios on, auto brightness and manual sync, I should be able to get through the day without a charge....we shall see

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
When you got the new One X, did you go thru and disable all the bloatware that you had previously disabled on the One X?

Lots of usage showing up as Andorid OS is an indication that some tasks in the background is being launched by the OS and chewing up the battery.
Look for things using your radios, by checking the Usage under More... in the Wireless & Networks section in the settings. Look for things using data.

My android os has been in the 70-80% range on every battery run I have had. It is tough to narrow it down to what exactly is causing it through. I am seeing the android os as staying awake for 9hr of my 12hrs of battery life. Overall my data usage is very low for all of my apps. I will see if I can find some better battery monitor apps tonight.

pkwiat

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Like this phone but might have to return it due to battery issues. Noticed my battery draining quick too. Last night I let it drain all the way then charged to 100%. After 5 hours of sleep, I awoke to see charge dropped by 10%. Usage showed android os 56% and next was maps at 13%. That's a pretty quick drain in standby. Then very ligh usage on wifi and 2 hours later I am sitting at 74% charged.

Got rid of the weather widget and didn't get better. Lost 6% on standby in 2 hours. Half the battery is drained on very light usage, no calls, only some email a few texts and reading news, 5min on Granny Smith game, all data on wifi. At this rate it wont last a day while hardly being used. Is that normal for htc?

Sparkius

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is this with NFC turned off? The battery isn't stellar, by any means, but certainly adequate for a smartphone of this size in my opinion.

I have one push account, and a couple of others set to pull hourly and I use Pandora and run some games and it does alright for a day.

Edit: After 4.5 hours, OS is at 13% usage.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

pkwiat

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Is this with NFC turned off? The battery isn't stellar, by any means, but certainly adequate for a smartphone of this size in my opinion.

I have one push account, and a couple of others set to pull hourly and I use Pandora and run some games and it does alright for a day.

Edit: After 4.5 hours, OS is at 13% usage.

My NFC was off the whole time. For me the OS was always the highest percent in drain. Turned off sync, apps... Felt like I did everything I could. I ended up returning it today... Liked everything about the phone except for the battery.

mrbro0ks

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My NFC was off the whole time. For me the OS was always the highest percent in drain. Turned off sync, apps... Felt like I did everything I could. I ended up returning it today... Liked everything about the phone except for the battery.

I feel I'm in the same boat as you, what phone did you switch to?

pkwiat

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Planning on Note2 with an outside chance of Nexus 4 (need to read some battery reviews first). I woulda went with Note2 today but att store didn't want to price match Amazons $249 price. For now I am still using my old phone (iphone 4s)

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't tell me that!!!!!!! I'm getting mine today in the mail!! Then again it can't be worse than my inspire can it? I listen to my music at 100% 4 hours later 53
WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MY ONE X PLUS

mrbro0ks

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't tell me that!!!!!!! I'm getting mine today in the mail!! Then again it can't be worse than my inspire can it? I listen to my music at 100% 4 hours later 53
WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MY ONE X PLUS

I had a inspire and this is pretty bad and I can seem to find a fix.

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Update on usage- My day typically starts at 5am and that's when the phone comes off the charger at 100%. I'll check social networks and news sites while on wifi for about 15-20mins. Then I'll stream Pandora for about 1.5 hours. After that, I'll use a few apps, off and on till about 3:30 before seeing 30% remaining. A mid/late afternoon charge gets me back to 100% and even with heavy usage at night, I won't get below 30%. Like others have said, the battery life isn't stellar but at no time do I find myself worrying about not making it to a charger. Power saver is on, all radios except GPS on, NFC off. Auto sync for Google (Contacts, Calendar, GMail). Weather widget on with "my current location" checked.

So far I love the features of this phone and the rubbery finish. I'm glad I returned the HOX for the HOX+.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So I noticed that when I rebooted my phone, apps still had a crazy long uptime. So I went in and disabled "Fast Boot" which is enabled by default.

After that, I rebooted and it's like a clean boot now.

Best part? Android OS now about 5% and I'm at 11 hours with 89% battery life left..

pkwiat

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So I noticed that when I rebooted my phone, apps still had a crazy long uptime. So I went in and disabled "Fast Boot" which is enabled by default.

After that, I rebooted and it's like a clean boot now.

Best part? Android OS now about 5% and I'm at 11 hours with 89% battery life left..

Dam it, wish I tried that before returning mine. But, if that solves it... it is absolutely ridiculous that "fast boot" is NOT disabled by default.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Dam it, wish I tried that before returning mine. But, if that solves it... it is absolutely ridiculous that "fast boot" is NOT disabled by default.

Go get the One X+ again and test it! I agree, that it shouldn't be enabled by default. Especially since on the One X, there's a warning that says it might not play nice with market apps. That same warning is not on the One X+

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie