Spotty, Erratic WiFi Signal Problem - Anyone Else?

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Had my One X+ for about 6 days now. Noticed that in parts of my home, had network connection issues where I never had them with any other devices. Dowloaded Wi-Fi Analyzer and SpeedTest. Downloaded SpeedTest on my old iPhone 4. And I confirmed that my phone has many more issues connecting in parts of the home than the iPhone. It's VERY erratic. You can put it on the counter 6 inches below where you were holding it with your hand, and wala, better signal. Pick it up and signal goes to crap. It's mainly with the 5.6ghz signal but 2.4 is effected to. Enabling / Disabling the Wi-Fi Performance Enhancement setting in Setting > Wi-Fi > Settings makes no difference that I can see and I compared it on and off several times using Wi-Fi Analyzer. This may be a dealbreaker for me on this phone. Maybe have to exchange it for an S3.

At times it loses connection briefly, then when it re-connects, signal is much better but it's not consistent. When running Speedtest on iPhone gauge usually goes up fairly smoothly and stays there (not always). On One X+ gauge gets "stuck" a lot more often and/or goes down.

I run an ASUS RT-56U router with latest firmware. Works excellent. It has my same network SSID bound to both 2.4 and 5.6Ghz channels. It's almost as if the One X+ has trouble dealing with a drop in the 5.6 and seamlessly moving everything to only 2.4? I actually tried to lock the phone to 2.4 or 5.6 in settings, frequency. It went crazy, both settings, it can't connecting and disconnecting.

Wondering if it is a hardware fault that was found in original One X that may have not been fixed?

htc one x+ wifi signal - Google Search

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. No issues with my roughter or phone. Try this unplug your roughter,modem, the. Wait 5 minits. Plug them back in. Retry the test. See what happens

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I spent much of Thanksgiving (sadly) testing the WiFi on this phone using WiFi Analyzer and speedtest at locations all over my house. I compared results with an iPhone 3GS Iphone 4 and Samsung Series 6 notebook. The One X (+) was terrible. At times it performed well but in the exact same location, the next time it would perform dismally. Very unpredictable and erratic and I found out why!

** THERE IS A 20+ dbm DROP IN SIGNAL WHEN HOLDING THE PHONE IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND! **

Now this may be common with a lot of phones, I don't know. But, the signal strength on this phone is already not what I would describe as "Best in Class" so this drop in many areas where the signal is moderately low to very low, holding the phone in the palm usually makes a difference as to if you have a usable connection or not!

I have a highly respected ASUS RT-56U router and made sure I had the latest firmware installed, but as I said, even the iPhone 3GS had more consistent, better, even results compared to this phone in many low signal areas when I held the One X in my hand. So it's not the router, it's the device.

Next step is to try to determine if it is this one phone, the One X+ AT&T model, and the One X AT&T model, or all One X models, including International? I will head to the store to see if they will let me run the test on another phone. I'm praying it is this particular phone but my gut tells me it is probably an issue in the design of the phone. I really like this phone but may have to go for the Samsung Galaxy SIII instead as this wifi issue is BAD, and unacceptable. Would get a Nexus 4 but I need more than 16GB of memory!!!!!

I shot a video about this showing the Wifi Analyzer running:

HTC One X (plus) Weak Wifi Signal Issues - YouTube

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok I think I got it. The WiFi intina is under power management. When the power management is activated it reduces the power to the WiFi. Turn it off the radio a ts as normal. It's intena is simply covered, and will not in tease power to vet a better signal.

sdb4stl

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem. It's making me want to return the phone. I don't understand the answer provided. Please help.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually having a phone signal issue with mine. My gf tried to call me 3 times and all it does is ring, but my phone doesn't ring, nor does my voicemail pick up. However, when it's 4g only, not 4g lte, it works fine. Bad SIM? Going to my at&t tomorrow to figure it out.

WiFi works great though, no issues.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Just got a new SIM card for my issue. If this doesn't fix the issue, I will exchange mine for a new one.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually having a phone signal issue with mine. My gf tried to call me 3 times and all it does is ring, but my phone doesn't ring, nor does my voicemail pick up. However, when it's 4g only, not 4g lte, it works fine. Bad SIM? Going to my at&t tomorrow to figure it out.

WiFi works great though, no issues.

Start a new thread, don't hijack this thread for a totally different issue. Thanks.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Next step is to try to determine if it is this one phone, the One X+ AT&T model, and the One X AT&T model, or all One X models, including International? I will head to the store to see if they will let me run the test on another phone.

Your video is pretty interesting. (Other than taking almost three minutes to get to the point. :p )

Can you remember what band you were connecting to your router via when you made that video?
In your first post you said "It's mainly with the 5.6ghz signal but 2.4 is effected to. "
The effect you see is sometimes called cupping, because you cup the phone in your hands.
All phones suffer from it somewhat, but usually not to the point of connection drop.

5ghz has much less flesh penetration than does 2.4, so you should see less "cupping" effect on 2.4.
5ghz is great for laptops and tablets which essentially never have their antennas totally obscured
by hands, but it might not be the best choice for a phone.

On my International One X, the most I can induce by cupping is about 10dbm, and no place in my house
will cause this to drop the connection.

In settings, / WiFi / Menu / Advanced there are some things you can experiment with.
1)The first is to lock the phone to a specific frequency band. (2.4ghz is the safest. Virtually no routers are 5ghz ONLY)

2) The other is Auto Disconnect. If you have two routers or two different frequency bands, this setting will cause
the phone to disconnect and seek a better connection. This disrupts service monetarily. In your case, with
both 2.4 and 5ghz in the same router, it might just be bouncing between bands.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Start a new thread, don't hijack this thread for a totally different issue. Thanks.

Not trying to hijack the thread my man...could be a correlation between the 2, just putting my thoughts out there. My apologies if anyone thought that was my intent

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
No the WiFi is on a different chip. And yes althoe 2.4 is slower than 5 gigahertz. The 2.4 band is stronger meaning more range. And what I ment was with power management on. The WiFi chip dosen't request more power to push to the radio to estabish a better signal. This saves battery life but will punish the signal farther away. Plus we need to find out where the intena is located. To avoid the cupping effect.