One X+ Worth it?

Kenji S

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since a few of you have it in your hands and everything.. I figured I'd ask... New forum member here and this is my first post :)

I currently have an unlocked Galaxy Nexus GSM, and I'm decently happy with it.. or I was until 4.2 (Which has kinda tarnished my love substantially for it..) Now I'm substantially less happy and thinking about changing things up... I'm currently out of contract on AT&T (And I have a fairly good plan thats been grandfathered down, I have unlimited data for instance so I'm not very interested in dumping)

Besides my 4.2 woes (its slowed down my GNex to a crawl, basically undoing all the 4.1 performance improvements, I've gone through everything EXCEPT a factory reset.. the reason being I frankly dont want to go through setting my phone up from scratch again, its also not very stable, freezing and hanging up despite removing just about every app I could...) theres other things I'm not so keen on, One of which being storage, I dont like relying on the cloud for my data and 16gb is pretty close, while I have 2gbs free right now thats because I found the phone slows down if i fill it up, This means i kinda have to switch games and apps out constantly and if i add anything to my music collection I'm going to be stuffed, The other is battery life, which actually isnt terrible using an extended 3500mah battery, But I'm pretty sure a newer phone can do better.. Also the rear cover for the extended battery creaks and kinda wrecks the feel of the phone..I feel that the processor is being heavily taxed when i watch videos or use flash (Which I do have working on my Nexus ;)) 4.2 also broke Volume+ which means now its incredibly difficult to hear the rear speaker on my Nexus even at max volume, I can frequently hear the vibration over the phone itself...And my headphones sound worse because Volume+ also gave me equalization and such which I now no longer have..

I love stock android and the amoled display, So dont think I'm hating on the Nexus, Just 4.2 seems to have opened a can of worms for me.. and im not liking some of the aesthetics...Granted, I COULD root it and put Cyanogenmod or some such on it, I admit that... but I am pondering if this isnt a good time to switch devices since a few things on the hardware side just dont work too well for me either and no mod will help that...

We also got LTE in my area since I bought the Nexus earlier this year, So theres that

I will confess to giving a Samsung Galaxy S3 a try and to sum it up I just wasnt all that happy with it, I didnt like how it felt in my hand and I absolutely DETESTED TouchWiz, I also hated the hard physical button in the center and felt it was positioned way too low on the device which made it awkward for me to use it one handed, it also didnt have 4.1 at the time and i missed it quite a lot, So I returned it, I've handled a One X before and preferred the ergonomics on it to the S3, it also looks better... By extension the Note 2 is also ruled out for me... The other reason I returned it is my LTE speeds werent really better than my HSPA+ speeds and the LTE signal itself was very erratic, But since then I think they've done some work on the towers (My HSPA+ speeds have increased on average and im getting a stronger HSPA+ signal) and i can just turn LTE off if it still stinks.. .The S3 did have far better audio than the GNexus however, Much clearer and higher quality

The One X+ simply looks like a phone that I think might just fit me better than the Galaxy Nexus... But I figured I'd ask here and see what everyones thoughts are, I like the look of it, I adore the screen (Well ive only seen a One X) and I dont think Sense is as horrible as Touchwiz when it comes to a skin.. Plus it has capacitive buttons, and i know the One X felt better in my hand...

I use my phone for video watching, texting, skype calls and music as well as reading and web surfing, Im a pretty heavy user, On my Nexus right now on average I can go for a good solid 18 hours on average with 5.5 hours of screen time before im down to 10% battery without say, going nuts with any power saving crap, Now I'm not expecting the One X+ to necessarily do as well, But just giving you an idea of what I get now, Basically I dont want to have to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find a charger after watching a couple youtube videos or reading a few wiki articles while waiting at a restaurant.... I use Wi-Fi at home but when im not home I will always be on LTE (Just a lack of hotspots where I tend to be) so thats also a factor

Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to be very clear and concise :)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
If you get a new phone you'd have to set it up completely anyways, so I'd suggest doing a factory reset on your gnex before you buy a new phone. Just my opinion.

I have a one x and for the bigger battery and 58ish gb of space in the x+, even I'd buy it. So if after a factory reset you're still unhappy with the gnex, get the one x+.

corgi1

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I, too, had a Galaxy Nexus GSM on AT&T. I loved the pure Google Android experience and getting new updates as soon as they were released. I first thought I would upgrade to the Nexus 4, but got shut out from being able to order one on the release day. My wife and son both recently got an iPhone 5 and I could see the speed difference that LTE made compared to the HSPA+ on my GNEX. I looked at the Optimus G and liked the hardware but I just could not go back to ICS, and the feel in the hand was not quite comfortable. I decided on the One X+ and have been very happy with it. I love the slim design, the feel in the hand, and the soft rubberized feel of the casing. The screen is a very nice upgrade over the GNEX and having 64GB onboard memory means I can have all the apps, oictures and music I want on the phone at all times. I was not sure how I would feel about the HTC Sense 4 interface on top of Jelly Bean as I had really liked the stock JB software, but I find that Sense is not an intrusion, but rather a very nice enhancement of the stock JB experience.Best of all, I sold my GNEX for $300 on eBay which covered the upgrade cost of the One X+ easily.

On the negative side, The battery does tend to drain faster on the One X+ compared to the GNEX, but that is probably to be expected with the quad core CPU and LTE. Once in a while it will get pretty warm on the back side if I have been gaming for a extended period of time.

Overall, I am very happy with the One X+ and glad that the Nexus 4 was not available when I tried to order it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
TL;DR

But this caught my eye:
I'm currently out of contract on AT&T (And I have a fairly good plan thats been grandfathered down, I have unlimited data for instance so I'm not very interested in dumping)

You should not lose your grandfathered Unlimited if you get a new phone from AT&T. I've done that at least 4 times on our multi-phone account.
You can also get your One X+ from someplace else (paying full price) and AT&T wouldn't be involved.

However, don't assume unlimited really means unlimited, because it doesn't. It means about 3Gig, then things get really slow for the remainder of the billing period. (EDGE speed)
Look at your data usage on your bill. Maybe you are worrying about that but you never actually get close to overusing.

Kenji S

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
TL;DR

But this caught my eye:

You should not lose your grandfathered Unlimited if you get a new phone from AT&T. I've done that at least 4 times on our multi-phone account.
You can also get your One X+ from someplace else (paying full price) and AT&T wouldn't be involved.

However, don't assume unlimited really means unlimited, because it doesn't. It means about 3Gig, then things get really slow for the remainder of the billing period. (EDGE speed)
Look at your data usage on your bill. Maybe you are worrying about that but you never actually get close to overusing.

Lol, I'm most certainly not one of those people who are irrational about my data usage, I'm throttled right now actually (3.2gb of usage according to ATT) and have been for the last week despite hardly using my GNex in the last month... its just the things I use it for really do consume a ton of data... The OTHER nice thing is if i get an LTE device, if i remember right they up it to 5gb before you get throttled down, I should have clarified that by dumping i meant "going to a different carrier" ;) I'd rather be throttled than pay overages... And the other unlimited options are not good in my area, Sprint gets a whopping 200kbps (Which is EDGE) and T-Mobile's coverage is very spotty from people I've talked to leaving me with Verizon as the only real alternative..

One other nice little thing is if i get an LTE device the Youtube app will let me stream HD video over the cell network, So i wont have to use Dolphin and Flash on the desktop Youtube site to do so, Not that its a big huge issue, its just the Youtube app is a little simpler and easier to navigate on a smartphone.. Oh and I believe DoubleTwist will let me simply plug the One X+ in to my computer to transfer music which is a lot nicer than having to use Airsync, Which is fine for one or two songs, but when reloading my entire music collection all i remember is it took FOREVER to do so...

On the negative side, The battery does tend to drain faster on the One X+ compared to the GNEX, but that is probably to be expected with the quad core CPU and LTE. Once in a while it will get pretty warm on the back side if I have been gaming for a extended period of time.

Rough estimate about how long are you going between needing to find a charger? The battery is really the biggest thing Im concerned with...

As for factory resetting my Gnex, I'm planning to still do that, I was actually planning to keep it just in case i ever needed a backup cell, I just was thinking "Well gee if i gotta go through all that then maybe I should just get a different smartphone because some key hardware features are not satisfying me with the GNexus" after all, Factory Reset is not going to make it grow twice the storage unfortunately... or fix the crappy rear speaker and the poor amplification on the headphone jack (Which Volume+ did, but that got broken in 4.2, So unless i go back to 4.1..yeah im stuffed)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781