rooting and can't figure it out.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to be a pain but, is there anything I need to know when running at&t 2.0 update? I heard there may be some extra steps. Can:) I still use the all in one Toolkit? I'm getting ready to take the leap. I'm giving at&t to the end of the month for the official JB release. Also with 2.0 do I need to do anything differently before adding Viper?
Sent from my HTC One X

To be honest, you should just unlock and flash. Once the update comes out, it will patch the exploit and you won't be able to unlock and root for a very long time.

As far as being on 2.20, I was as well and the toolkit worked great..and yes with the majority of Roms, you have to flash the boot.img of the rom before flashing it in recovery (TWRP). The way I do this, is using flash gui app - flash the rom.zip in that app, reboot to recovery, wipe (factory reset) then install the rom

For viper, they use an installer that wipes and flashes the boot.img for you. Another great thing about viper!

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the newest HTC sync. Now the All In One toolkit works and it shows as My HTC on the device manager on the PC, but still can't find it as a disk drive in my computer. Now if I can figure out how to flash other Roms I will be happy. It only took me 15 years to learn the PC and Windows and still learning .

failmatic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@leesum
I recommend the unofficial 4.2.1 JB by H8rift over at xda. [ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developers
I see that you got the bootloader unlocked completed. So it makes things easy. If you dont want to use the AIO Toolket, you can spend 99cents on Play and buy Flash GUI. DL the ROM and GAPPS onto your phone and use Flash GUI to load the image. Does not need to flash boot.img each time because it takes care of it.

Your other option is use AIO kit, flash boot.img from the rom zip, boot into recovery and flash the rom+gapps. if not coming from AOSP rom, you need to do a wipe in recovery.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
That may be a bit complicated for him... Leesumm, on your pc go to device manager - right click on your phone in device manager (while plugged in of course) and update drivers..the phone should be able to be seen as a media device in My Computer.. it won't be listed under hard drives

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Connect to pc, the icon that pops up in your task bar on your pc- right click, go to properties, then update drivers... it will show up in My Computer as an mp3/media device.... if that doesn't work try " android file transfer" (Google search and download to pc and install on pc)
Ok, tried that too, I can't use the "android file transfer" , I am running Windows 7, and from what I understood that is for a Mac. I did get it installed but it installed a lot of other crap software that I didn't want so deleted it . I am now up to the point of Windows 7 installs HTC on everything but "HTC MTP Device" . In the device manager it shows "my HTC" , then in the My computer it shows the HTC but not where it used to be as a Mass Storage. Now its a removable device but as it is it will open there as a Mass Storage . So I guess I am ok with that now.

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
That's how Windows 7 will see your device now. It's an annoyance but it works.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One X with ViperXL using Android Central Forums

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ya,HTC followed Apple with this - they wanted you to be able to use your phone while transferring/syncing your device. This was not possible before; it would give you an error on your phone saying "device is in use" when you try to file browse through the phone while mounted as USB storage.

I agree though, they should have had a pdf file with the update in sense, that would auto load to give you a heads up on these changes.

Have fun!

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
@leesum
I recommend the unofficial 4.2.1 JB by H8rift over at xda. [ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developers
I see that you got the bootloader unlocked completed. So it makes things easy. If you dont want to use the AIO Toolket, you can spend 99cents on Play and buy Flash GUI. DL the ROM and GAPPS onto your phone and use Flash GUI to load the image. Does not need to flash boot.img each time because it takes care of it.

Your other option is use AIO kit, flash boot.img from the rom zip, boot into recovery and flash the rom+gapps. if not coming from AOSP rom, you need to do a wipe in recovery.
Ok, tried this one too, if I did it right there is no apps there , no play store and no way to add any app that I can figure out. Back on the net surfing again for that one OS I like. Viper is good but don't really do it for me.

sdchris

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was bored last night and tired of waiting around for AT&T to release the update, so I decided to root and flash a rom. With some patience and a little persistence, I was able to get ViperXL up and running. I must say it is a very nice ROM and cuts out the AT&T fat! I'm rather pleased so far with how it is going.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was bored last night and tired of waiting around for AT&T to release the update, so I decided to root and flash a rom. With some patience and a little persistence, I was able to get ViperXL up and running. I must say it is a very nice ROM and cuts out the AT&T fat! I'm rather pleased so far with how it is going.

Same here! Really excited to try out other ROMs in the future.

Sent from my ViperXL 1X!

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am so new to this stuff and learning as I go by trial and error, mostly error. I got the Viper xl on yesterday and liked the way it went with only a few glitches. Tried the other one suggested in this thread ([ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developersggested in this thread ) but didn't like it . What I did figure out though was BIG BIG mistake tho. Even after backing up both the stock Rom and the Viper instal. I lost the stock and can't get back to factory stock. Now I am only left with the viper running the phone trying to find Stock rom. I should have backed the backups to the PC rather than leaving on the phone. But like it is , I am a kid in a candy store now. If all goes bad I do have an iPhone for a backup and lost the HTC.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, tried this one too, if I did it right there is no apps there , no play store and no way to add any app that I can figure out. Back on the net surfing again for that one OS I like. Viper is good but don't really do it for me.

@leesumm - in addition to the ROM you have to flash GAPPS (Google Apps) for the build (in the case of 10.1 it would be JB 4.2). Install the ROM then install GAPPS. From there you will get Play Store, GMail, etc

I did the same things to mine - HTC phones are not as easy to root and flash as Samsung's are, and it's easier to get the stock firmware on the Samsungs when you goof. HTC has started suing the guys who post the stock firmware and it's incredibly (maybe impossible) to find just hanging out there.

I would recommend Clean Rom 5.1 its as close to stock as you can find out there, keeps the phone rooted and is really really really easy to install, an "all in one" install.

CleanROM 5.1 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC took down that site because it had their name in the website address and they had htcs logos... they had a press release (can be found on this website) yesterday

failmatic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1. flash [ROM][4.2.1] UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 10.1 for HTC One XL - xda-developers
2. falsh boot.img from the rom
3. flash GAPPS
4. Profit!
If you flash any AOSP rom without GAPPS, you wont get PLAY. GAPPS = Google Apps. Didnt look like you did step 3 and 4.

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have everything back together and working now on Viper XL . I don't know for sure how it came about, but it works. I found a stock RUU and I think flashed it from the PC. Then went and flashed or installed the TWRP backup. Then unlocked the relocked bootloader. Then went and flashed the Viper XL and did a back up. Been battling the connecting to the PC thing. Sometimes it does and sometimes it don't. But then I tried to make a phone call and the phone didn't work but everything else in the system seemed to. I tried to go back to the factory RUU thing and then it hung in boot up on a black screen but would go to fastboot usb. So I flashed Viper XL 3.1 (flashed Viper XL 3.2 the first time) now everything seems to be working fine. I may have not have said all the steps I did right but WTH. a newbie got a HTC One x going and don't know how he did it after a MAJOR screw up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol