Is this a joke? ATT HOX is now 3 upgrade cycles behind.

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm too frustrated to make another funny post like last time. This is absolutely ridiculous. We're now 3 upgrades behind nexus devices.

3 upgrades.

note: please don't chime in with "you can install a custom rom". This is android central, I know what I can do with my android.

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you its a shame. I just upgraded to a note 2. Had the of note loved it got a nexus loved it got the one x loved it but just went right back to the note 2 using my upgrade. I really wish art would of released jb for the one x already.

mbcastle

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
The carriers (and to a lesser extent the device manufacturers) are the reason Gingerbread is still the most widely used Android OS. Amazing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have a Samsung phone, comparing upgrades to nexus devices is ridiculous... Google controls those devices, and will always have a window of exclusive version... Samsung is the only manufacturer moving closer to that window...

Having said that, I love my one x, but I can't wait for the note 3

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a Samsung phone, comparing upgrades to nexus devices is ridiculous... Google controls those devices, and will always have a window of exclusive version... Samsung is the only manufacturer moving closer to that window...

Having said that, I love my one x, but I can't wait for the note 3

Samsung is no closer than any other OEM when the source drops its open season. Whether or not the OEM jumps on that that's their fault.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but my point is that they update the os much quicker than anyone else in the past year

That's true but its for their own reasons not because they have to and not because they get any special treatment.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Haha, I'm not saying that they get special treatment... Just noting who is the best manufacturer in android as of right now... I'd love to see HTC follow suit, but it looks like Sammy may be getting my business next upgrade

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I'm not saying that they get special treatment... Just noting who is the best manufacturer in android as of right now... I'd love to see HTC follow suit, but it looks like Sammy may be getting my business next upgrade

HTC has been doing worse in my eyes but if your looking for strong support Sony is making huge strides.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
This is ridiculous. You should feel lucky you're not 5-10 updates behind. If you wanted bleeding edge updates, you should have bought a Nexus for goodness sake. And (whether you want to hear it or not) if it's really such a terrible annoyance, install a perfectly stable 4.1.2 ROM. It takes all of 10 minutes.

Sent from my One X with AOKP 4.1.2 Milestone using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm too frustrated to make another funny post like last time. This is absolutely ridiculous. We're now 3 upgrades behind nexus devices.

3 upgrades.

note: please don't chime in with "you can install a custom rom". This is android central, I know what I can do with my android.

Then u should know that no manufacturer keeps up with a nexus. Its not even close. Why do people get phones and complain about updates? Its been happening since eclair. Everyone knows how it works. If u want the features of a device other than the nexus u know u are giving up the updates. Its your choice so choose wisely

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC has been doing worse in my eyes but if your looking for strong support Sony is making huge strides.

I agree... that's why I'll be moving to Sammy..I love HTC, they make the best hardware, top of list when it comes to screens... can't wait to see the note 3...it's gonna double as a weapon

Sent from my Dirty Rootbox Nexus 7

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree... that's why I'll be moving to Sammy..I love HTC, they make the best hardware, top of list when it comes to screens... can't wait to see the note 3...it's gonna double as a weapon

Sent from my Dirty Rootbox Nexus 7
funny thing is, I left Samsung for this same problem. Talk to original Galaxy S owners about their update cycle. Samsung was HORRIBLE. Now, alluva sudden the tide has turned (probably due to Google's close involvement with Samsung) and they are much better than other manufacturer's. I'll never win. lol

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
funny thing is, I left Samsung for this same problem. Talk to original Galaxy S owners about their update cycle. Samsung was HORRIBLE. Now, alluva sudden the tide has turned (probably due to Google's close involvement with Samsung) and they are much better than other manufacturer's. I'll never win. lol

That's funny..Ya,I remember how all that was.. I hated Samsung until the note 2, they've taken strides in the right direction over the past few years...taking stabs at Apple, becoming more efficient with their software... they just need to get away from that plastic housing haha

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
That plastic is way stronger than you give it credit for Lol I have thrown mine into a wall I mean INTO a wall. I'm still using said phone without issue or scratches.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That plastic is way stronger than you give it credit for Lol I have thrown mine into a wall I mean INTO a wall. I'm still using said phone without issue or scratches.

it may be strong but it feels flimsy and cheap. If I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a device, at least make it feel nice in my hands.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i love my Gnex plastic. I have dropped mine constantly and the only thing wrong is a tiny dent in the back lol. And this is without my outterbox I have one but I like my phones naked

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.

Issue being that's a matter of opinion I enjoy the feel and its definitely a factor of these phones light weight. I don't feel its cheap because I understand the materials used and the reasoning behind it.

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here is my response to most of the opinions on here.
1 - why do people complain when they don't have a nexus device: It's not a matter of being later than nexus, it's a matter of ATT not pushing the HOX update specifically. I could compare it to other brands and such, but there is no need. Every other version of the HOX has gotten their update, and therefore there is no blame to be had other than ATT's incompetence. Also, ATT has turned around other phones with the same update in the meantime, therere there is no blame to be had other than ATT's incompetence.
2 - Installing a custom rom is easy and takes very little time: yes, I know. My HOX used to be rooted, and I went through a lot of trouble just to get a stock rom on it to recieve updates. The custom rom community (which I consider myself to be a part of), does not acknowledge the fact that there are disadvantages to not having stock roms. I'm not going to go into details, but some people want to use stock roms for various reasons.
3 - Samsung should be expected to have quicker updates since they have a nexus device being updated by google: This is ridiculous for many reasons. First: nobody is talking about HTC being slow on updates, or even for the HOX being updated too late. The issue is the ATT HOX update. You might as well be talking about the playstation if you're going to write opinions like that. Look at how many posts in this thread are irrelevant to the actual issue, and you will realize how much "noise" there is in this forum.

That being out of the way, I'm going to restate the issue: The time between the source code being released, and HTC writing an update for the HOX was satisfactory. However, since then, ATT has taken too long to turn around that update, and release it to its users. Discuss.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not a matter of being later than nexus, it's a matter of ATT not pushing the HOX update specifically. I could compare it to other brands and such, but there is no need. Every other version of the HOX has gotten their update, and therefore there is no blame to be had other than ATT's incompetence. Also, ATT has turned around other phones with the same update in the meantime, therere there is no blame to be had other than ATT's incompetence.

And when AT&T deems HTC's update is ready, you'll still be behind.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon