Is this a joke? ATT HOX is now 3 upgrade cycles behind.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
About the plastic on Samsung phones: it's just a preference, and I have a 2 year old..makes me nervous haha.

About there being " disadvantages" by being on a custom rom vs stock... what are they? I see none,I can do everything (and obviously more) that the stock rom can do. If voiding the warranty I'd the issue,I completely understand..although you can relock the bootloader after putting the stock software back on.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
About the plastic on Samsung phones: it's just a preference, and I have a 2 year old..makes me nervous haha.

About there being " disadvantages" by being on a custom rom vs stock... what are they? I see none,I can do everything (and obviously more) that the stock rom can do. If voiding the warranty I'd the issue,I completely understand..although you can relock the bootloader after putting the stock software back on.

On the plastic my son will be 3 this month trust me the phone is baby safe. I let my son play with mine all the time I never worry. He calls me on his moms iPhone while she's sleeping too so he's a smart one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
What part of only nexus devices get the update don't your understand? We are a 3rd party owner Google the first makes the platform HTC the second customised it and makes the handset and loads it at&t has to approve the software we as end users have no voice . See Google don't get on to the oems about it even motorolla which they now own don't push out updates left and rite. Insider all of our phones accept nexus devices to be a hot stone for them push it while it's hot slap it out then not their problem anymore

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Further more WE ARE NOT HTCS CUSTOMERS THE CARRIERS ARE HTC HAS NO RETAIL SPACE OF THEIR OWN IF WE WERE ABLE TO BUY DIRECTLY FROM ANY OEM I THINK IT WOULD CHANGE BC THE CARRIER DEALS WITH THE ING MOSTLY HTC OR ANY OEM DONT SO TILL THAT DAY WE AIN'T GONNA HAVE IT OUR WAY WE ALL NEED TO CONTACT GOOGLE AS MUCH AS WE CAN TO LIGHT A FIRE UNDER THEIR ASSES BECAUSE ITS NOT IN OEMS FAVOR TO PUSH CRAP OUT FOR FREE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY PEOPLE TO RESKIN IT AND BETA TEST IT FOR THE HARDWARE

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What part of only nexus devices get the update don't your understand? We are a 3rd party owner Google the first makes the platform HTC the second customised it and makes the handset and loads it at&t has to approve the software we as end users have no voice . See Google don't get on to the oems about it even motorolla which they now own don't push out updates left and rite. Insider all of our phones accept nexus devices to be a hot stone for them push it while it's hot slap it out then not their problem anymore

Further more WE ARE NOT HTCS CUSTOMERS THE CARRIERS ARE HTC HAS NO RETAIL SPACE OF THEIR OWN IF WE WERE ABLE TO BUY DIRECTLY FROM ANY OEM I THINK IT WOULD CHANGE BC THE CARRIER DEALS WITH THE ING MOSTLY HTC OR ANY OEM DONT SO TILL THAT DAY WE AIN'T GONNA HAVE IT OUR WAY WE ALL NEED TO CONTACT GOOGLE AS MUCH AS WE CAN TO LIGHT A FIRE UNDER THEIR ASSES BECAUSE ITS NOT IN OEMS FAVOR TO PUSH CRAP OUT FOR FREE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY PEOPLE TO RESKIN IT AND BETA TEST IT FOR THE HARDWARE

What the hell did I just read?

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here is my response to most of the opinions on here.
1 - why do people complain when they don't have a nexus device: It's not a matter of being later than nexus, it's a matter of ATT not pushing the HOX update specifically. I could compare it to other brands and such, but there is no need. Every other version of the HOX has gotten their update, and therefore there is no blame to be had other than ATT's incompetence. Also, ATT has turned around other phones with the same update in the meantime, therere there is no blame to be had other than ATT's incompetence.
2 - Installing a custom rom is easy and takes very little time: yes, I know. My HOX used to be rooted, and I went through a lot of trouble just to get a stock rom on it to recieve updates. The custom rom community (which I consider myself to be a part of), does not acknowledge the fact that there are disadvantages to not having stock roms. I'm not going to go into details, but some people want to use stock roms for various reasons.
3 - Samsung should be expected to have quicker updates since they have a nexus device being updated by google: This is ridiculous for many reasons. First: nobody is talking about HTC being slow on updates, or even for the HOX being updated too late. The issue is the ATT HOX update. You might as well be talking about the playstation if you're going to write opinions like that. Look at how many posts in this thread are irrelevant to the actual issue, and you will realize how much "noise" there is in this forum.

That being out of the way, I'm going to restate the issue: The time between the source code being released, and HTC writing an update for the HOX was satisfactory. However, since then, ATT has taken too long to turn around that update, and release it to its users. Discuss.

I can't think of any advantage to using stock Sense unless you simply like a slower phone.

I can understand why you're frustrated with ATT, but basically, if you go with stock, you shouldn't have any complaints about update speed. You're lucky to get any updates at all after the first few monthes. That's how the game works, you should know the rules.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Glad I'mhappy with ICS. What's in the updates that are really that cool? And as for being x amount of updates behind the nexus line , that's the point of the nexus line, so get a nexus 4. It works on AT&T. Just saying.

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'mhappy with ICS. What's in the updates that are really that cool? And as for being x amount of updates behind the nexus line , that's the point of the nexus line, so get a nexus 4. It works on AT&T. Just saying.
It doesn't have LTE. Just saying.

Try having LTE and then going back to 3G. It blows.

The Nexus line is great, don't get me wrong. But Nexus phones are rarely bleeding edge tech anymore. The Nexus One was pretty great for it's time, but every other Nexus phone has pretty much been slightly behind current gen hardware. It sucks that you have to sacrifice great specs for software updates. Why can't we have both?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus line is great, don't get me wrong. But Nexus phones are rarely bleeding edge tech anymore. The Nexus One was pretty great for it's time, but every other Nexus phone has pretty much been slightly behind current gen hardware. It sucks that you have to sacrifice great specs for software updates. Why can't we have both?

The nexus 4 is pretty top of the line when it came out. Minus the screen which at 720p is still on par with just about every phone except the dna

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have never considered getting a nexus phone as much as right now. I would love a nexus 4 right now, even though the LTE isn't there.

As far as disadvantages, personally I had trouble with my wifi connectivity, and the last att was needed to fix that. Now there's other fixes for that problem, but this was a while ago.
As far as the jelly bean features that I need: mostly just usb-on-the-go. I do a lot of studying at libraries, and I watch a lot of videos of lectures, and I would love to keep them on a thumb drive instead of downloading a few at a time on my phone (they are very big video files).

I also really like the HTC camera, so I would only consider a rom like viper xl (I'm pretty sure it uses the htc camera, right?). The point is, after having a motorola atrix, and then this phone, I've become convinced that there is always some little annoying thing that you just can't fix without getting the stock rom. (emphasis on the 'little')

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I never meant any offense in My replies, Opec... I'm using viper XL jb, and I have USB OTG..and every sense rom uses the sense camera- another reason I prefer viper... lots of tweaks to the camera as well.

I know some of the people with Wi-Fi problems on viper got them figured out, but at least the dev is constantly working on these fixes at a much faster pace than AT&T and HTC.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
3G automatically makes it not top of the line...

I guess the memory or lack of SD also is but that is really offset by how cheap it is. Idk of any phone that comes out that is better than all other phones out at the time. I think this nexus is more on par with other phones than any of the other nexii released.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Cant argue that. going from 8mbps to 20 kicks ass lol

ny_yankees

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't feel bad. I have a Windows 8 phone HTC 8x and on Verizon, and we are also behind on the updates. According to Verizon, it is the fault of HTC. I don't know how true that is since VZ can be biased from their point of view. From what I see, its the Device Carriers that are ones always holding up the updates. Because the updates are there on other phones except for certain specific phones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463