The Kit-Kat Hox: All around BEST smartphone

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll start off by saying that I have a N5 and an HTC One. I abandoned my HOX to the dresser drawer ages ago. However, with a few mods I honestly think it's the hands down best daily driver.

First and foremost, you need to do some hackery and get Kit-Kat on your HOX. It really is so much faster that unless you put them side by side, there's no noticeable difference between the smoothness of my HOX and my One.

Secondly, install a 3rd party 2300mh internal battery. The HOX will last soooo much longer than with its stock 1800mh.

Since it's just about as fast and smooth as the newest phones, and it gets waaaaay longer battery life with a 2300mh battery combined with a low power consumption dual-core and 720p screen (the best 720p on any device IMO) it's the perfect mix of performance, battery life and speed.

Sent from my One X using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll start off by saying that I have a N5 and an HTC One. I abandoned my HOX to the dresser drawer ages ago. However, with a few mods I honestly think it's the hands down best daily driver.

First and foremost, you need to do some hackery and get Kit-Kat on your HOX. It really is so much faster that unless you put them side by side, there's no noticeable difference between the smoothness of my HOX and my One.

Secondly, install a 3rd party 2300mh internal battery. The HOX will last soooo much longer than with its stock 1800mh.

Since it's just about as fast and smooth as the newest phones, and it gets waaaaay longer battery life with a 2300mh battery combined with a low power consumption dual-core and 720p screen (the best 720p on any device IMO) it's the perfect mix of performance, battery life and speed.

Recently, there was another thread that was also regarding the best all around smartphone. It spiraled out of control and a mod had to close it.
With that, let me just say this. Everyone has a different opinion as to what the best phone is since we all have different needs and things that draw is towards the phones we like. There is no one phone that is better than the rest in every possible way.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Yes I agree that there significant performance improvements with kit Kat on the one x, but it isn't the best. I don't think any phone is the best. If it works for you, that's great. :p

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Recently, there was another thread that was also regarding the best all around smartphone. It spiraled out of control and a mod had to close it.
With that, let me just say this. Everyone has a different opinion as to what the best phone is since we all have different needs and things that draw is towards the phones we like. There is no one phone that is better than the rest in every possible way.

Yes, this is merely my opinion and I realize different set ups might work better for other folks, for example people who need an SD slot. However as a performance device (and by performance I mean a balance between fluidity, hardware and battery life) it's really fantastic.

There is no "new" phone on the market that can provide as good a package, maybe the moto G if you can replace its battery with a huge aftermarket one.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this is merely my opinion and I realize different set ups might work better for other folks, for example people who need an SD slot. However as a performance device (and by performance I mean a balance between fluidity, hardware and battery life) it's really fantastic.

There is no "new" phone on the market that can provide as good a package, maybe the moto G if I can replace its battery with a huge aftermarket one.

What about the Moto X? It's better than the Moto G

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Just remembered that the G's battery isn't removable

Well it is, just not with a battery door. The HOX's battery is "non-removable" too but it's not to hard to swap it out for one with higher capacity. Obviously not for anyone who isn't of the nerdier sort, but neither is getting Root, S-OFF and an unlocked bootloader on the HOX.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well it is, just not with a battery door. The HOX's battery is "non-removable" too but it's not to hard to swap it out for one with higher capacity. Obviously not for anyone who isn't of the nerdier sort, but neither is getting Root, S-OFF and an unlocked bootloader on the HOX.

True. I personally don't like bigger batteries since they make the phone thicker but to each their own :p

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
True. I personally don't like bigger batteries since they make the phone thicker but to each their own :p

I'm referring to replacement internal batteries that are the same size as the originals. The battery I used to replace the OEM one inside my HOX was exactly the same size, just a different sticker.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm referring to batteries that are the same size as the originals. The battery I used to replace the OEM one inside my HOX was exactly the same size, just a different sticker.

o_O
How can it have a higher capacity while still being the same size?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
o_O
How can it have a higher capacity while still being the same size?

The battery they use OEM is cheap and low capacity. The battery that actually costs 40 bucks is higher quality. Kind of like how can one hard drive have more capacity than the other, if they are the same size.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The battery they use OEM is cheap and low capacity. The battery that actually costs 30 bucks is higher quality. Kind of like how can one hard drive have more capacity than the other, if they are the same size.

Well yeah I get the memory part but I'm pretty sure ypi can't have the same capacity battery in the same size. Otherwise extended batteries like the ZeroLemon wouldn't be so thick

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah I get the memory part but I'm pretty sure ypi can't have the same capacity battery in the same size. Otherwise extended batteries like the ZeroLemon wouldn't be so thick

Generally those externals are like 3000mh+. They no longer sell the The 2300 I put in my HOX (tested at 22897mh) but they do sell 2100's. That's way bigger than the original 1800. They're exactly the same size.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331049973672?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's an XDA thread with all the details on better HOX batteries being installed and tested showing it's legit.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1981909

It's very possible to produce higher quality internal phone batteries with higher MHs. That's why phones like the One and the GS4 have such a greater battery capacity when the power source inside them is around the same size as their predecessors.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's an XDA thread with all the details on better HOX batteries being installed and tested showing it's legit.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1981909

It's very possible to produce higher quality internal phone batteries with higher MHs. That's why phones like the One and the GS4 have such a greater battery capacity when the power source inside them is around the same size as their predecessors.

The battery in the S4 is noticeably larger than the one in the S3

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The battery in the S4 is noticeably larger than the one in the S3

OK. That still doesn't change the point lol. You can most definitely buy better internal batteries (at least for some phones). Read up on those XDa threads.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
OK. That still doesn't change the point lol. You can most definitely buy better internal batteries (at least for some phones). Read up on those XDa threads.

I haven't seen any for the S4 :(
I think I'm going to buy an Anker external battery charger, I think it's something like 10,000 mAh

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It's so funny to see this post. I also dragged my HOX (international) out of the drawer yesterday! I have a One, N5, and Note 3. I'll definitely keep my N5, but going back to the One X made me realize how much I missed it.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It's so funny to see this post. I also dragged my HOX (international) out of the drawer yesterday! I have a One, N5, and Note 3. I'll definitely keep my N5, but going back to the One X made me realize how much I missed it.

Its really the screen that gets me. It's way brighter than the One. I know (and can see) that the 1080p display on my One has a notably better pixel density, but I almost prefer the brighter 720p in the HOX. Wish it was nice snazzy aluminum though.

Last edited: