HTC One X: Extremely poor battery life

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Rooted, S-off, TWRP2.5.0.0, Android 4.1.1, sense 4+, 3.18 firmware

This phone has always had unsatisfactory battery life, but recently it has been downright stupid bad. I figured when I rooted I would be able to straight up remove bloat apps that I never use and see an improvement, but it wasn't that easy and I haven't gotten up to speed on custom ROMs yet and which one to use; so I used App Quarantine to freeze them. Over the past two weeks or so I've been seeing battery drain as bad as 40% in 3 hours with minimal use. I just unplugged my phone 16 minutes ago and it has used 5% of the battery - with the exception of setting an alarm, I haven't used it. Usage shows Chrome taking up 33% - fair enough, when it's awake I use the internet a lot, 2nd is Android System with 10%, then Handcent SMS with 6% and Android OS with 5%. I am really quite puzzled here; because it looks like there is nothing there that could draw that much power. The only things consistently and by choice running in my background are a screen brightness bar, gmail and handcent. I have auto update and notifications disabled for all social media bloatapps, which I never use anyway. I'm not using any widgets, either. What the hell is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Extremely poor battery life

Were any of the apps youve "frozen" running in the background at the time you took them out? Perhaps they are stuck open, for lack of better words, causing more of a drain.

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Is that even possible? The apps would stop running when I reboot the phone anyway.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Is that even possible? The apps would stop running when I reboot the phone anyway.

I would suggest updating your version of TWRP and flashing Android 4.4. I personally think it has good battery life with Kit Kat.

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site

I would suggest updating your version of TWRP and flashing Android 4.4. I personally think it has good battery life with Kit Kat.

So I went to TWRP 2.7. Which recovery would you recommend for flashing Android 4.4?

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site

2.7 has lots of problems. I use 2.6.3.0 with selinux.
Noted and heeded. And which ROM?

(edit)
Not which ROM are you running, but what would you recommend overall for an knowledgeable user but non-developer.

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Noted and heeded. And which ROM?

(edit)
Not which ROM are you running, but what would you recommend overall for an knowledgeable user but non-developer.

I have not found the perfect 4.4 ROM yet. Right now I'm running Karbon Kat.

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site

I have not found the perfect 4.4 ROM yet. Right now I'm running Karbon Kat.
Ok. Until I find out a little more about the current 4.4 ROMS I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 (4.3.1). The extremely poor battery life issue was intermittent and odd, I'll wait and see what happens with this ROM.

numskull223

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have been having the same problem, i noticed that the battery was lasting about 4 hours. I forced closed all apps, ex facebook, weather channel app ect, and rebooted it. And it been fine for about a week now. But it does randomly shuts ofc while I talking on the phone... Haven't figured that one out yet.

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Ok. Until I find out a little more about the current 4.4 ROMS I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 (4.3.1). The extremely poor battery life issue was intermittent and odd, I'll wait and see what happens with this ROM.

4.4 has good battery life. You probably have to adjust the CPU speed.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been having the same problem, i noticed that the battery was lasting about 4 hours. I forced closed all apps, ex facebook, weather channel app ect, and rebooted it. And it been fine for about a week now. But it does randomly shuts ofc while I talking on the phone... Haven't figured that one out yet.

What ROM are you running?

numskull223

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Try candykat 4.4 so for its solid

numskull223

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Which one?

Wizzrah, A while back I had this problem, when my screen would go off, and I would turn the screen on I would not have a signal.....I went to settings>power, and unchecked the box for turning off data when its inactive. But it still shuts off the data....Is there something else I am forgetting. I went back to the 4.2 viper rom.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Wizzrah, A while back I had this problem, when my screen would go off, and I would turn the screen on I would not have a signal.....I went to settings>power, and unchecked the box for turning off data when its inactive. But it still shuts off the data....Is there something else I am forgetting. I went back to the 4.2 viper rom.

Were you using the stock kernel or a custom kernel?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670