full screen pop up ads

decapoda

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
for last few weeks i have started getting full screen pop ads.
ads are random. not directed on specific products. each time they turn to be endorsing some other product.
i need not be working on any app. most of the time ads pop up when i m on home screen. i hold and long press to know the add source, but it says nothing (i did this after Air Push Detector advised me to do so.)
I ran Ad Network Detector and Avast anti virus. both came up with no results.
its getting annoying, although the ads do not pop up often . may be twice or thrice in a day or so. but i would love to have it detected and taken care off.

i have attached two image, when i press the left bottom option in first, all i get is tiny lill pop up in second image.

Thank you guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-27-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-27-11.png
    244 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-27-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-27-14.png
    247.5 KB · Views: 30

decapoda

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank a lot Golfdriver97.
the issue is when i opened the link you provided on my browser, WOT-plugin went red with warning. i am now not so sure whether to go with this or not.
resetting the device to factory setting will help?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is really strange. A reset probably is not a fix, because if it is an app, it will be reinstalled if you have app restoration on.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

decapoda

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
That is really strange. A reset probably is not a fix, because if it is an app, it will be reinstalled if you have app restoration on.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

:| thats a cleaver point..i wonder how i cudnt see tht one. lets see if I could find something to work this out.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
:| thats a cleaver point..i wonder how i cudnt see tht one. lets see if I could find something to work this out.

Here is how I would go about doing it. Not a reset yet, but uninstalling almost every third party app. Keep Google ones, and other trusted ones. Run those for a week, and slowly add the other apps back. 2 or 3 at a time, and running for a few days, repeating the process.

decapoda

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Here is how I would go about doing it. Not a reset yet, but uninstalling almost every third party app. Keep Google ones, and other trusted ones. Run those for a week, and slowly add the other apps back. 2 or 3 at a time, and running for a few days, repeating the process.
Thanks Golfdriver, had almost same feed from few other places. :) shall do this and update/report the app on google play.

polosprt009

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Any update on what caused these full screen ads to appear and did you ever get the problem fixed? I too am having the same issue, but where I go, nobody has a fix. Here's a link to my similar query if anyone wants to follow to see if a fix is given.

Nicholas Parks

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I found a solution. When the ads pop up. Hit your home button for few seconds to view resent apps if using 4.2 android or whatever technique to see recent apps.
You should see the ads along with recently used apps and the ads are generated by " network service" . go into settings-apps-all apps-scroll to network service and disable or deactivate. It will work. I had the same problem.
I believe it's malware but haven't investigated further why it happen. I will email Google on the issue..

Posted via Android Central App

polosprt009

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad to hear you found a fix to the issue. Unfortunately these instructions didn't work for me. In fact I've currently got this popped up on my phone as we speak -.-

It popped up while using the app Whitagram, an app which allows you to use wide angle photos in Instagram. Is this app potentially the source of these ads? It would be a damn shame because I use this app quite regularly but come to think of it, these ad popups started around the time of installing this app. But the ads show up while using various other apps also. Wish there was a simple way to disable these ads from coming up.

It also must be said, I've clicked the bottom left portion of the ad which led me to Google settings. There I turned off advertisements yet the popups still keep occurring...

I found a solution. When the ads pop up. Hit your home button for few seconds to view resent apps if using 4.2 android or whatever technique to see recent apps.
You should see the ads along with recently used apps and the ads are generated by " network service" . go into settings-apps-all apps-scroll to network service and disable or deactivate. It will work. I had the same problem.
I believe it's malware but haven't investigated further why it happen. I will email Google on the issue..

RAVI SINGH14

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Tried everything But all in vain. Nothing worth to stop the pop-up ads to appear on my phone's every launch.

Can anyone help me to get rid of this pop up ad appearing on every launch of my phone which is so annoying and also taking space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malachi Hough

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site

This worked for me. I have 2 different ad detectors installed, and neither of them found this app. Then when I got a random popup ad (some natural food chain), I hit my Open windows softkey (its the softkey to the left of my home button on my galaxy s6). This showed all recent apps, including the add....it was from Peel remote. weird thing for a remote app to do, but I force stopped it and disabled it. well see how it goes from here. It must be a system app since i cant uninstall it.

Currently running android 7.0 on my Galaxy s6

Darylkw

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I followed a person's suggestion, downloaded Malware Bytes. Ran it, it found a malware in the app 7 minute workout. ...waiting to see if this did the trick. I understand ads, but not when i awaken my phone or when i end a phone call.

TC93

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Whoever is doing these fullscreen ads is very clever about hiding it. Malwarebytes never detects it either..... it just popped up now while I was typing this. It's always a Google play store app it displays. It's really annoying me. It also disappears when I view recent apps.

chalan30

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Had same problem on Galaxy s5. Opened recent apps after pop up and the ad showed up inside the Peel remote app. Blocked notifications from it and disabled so we'll see if I get more pop ups.

MikeG2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy S8+ had small, medium and full-screen ads popping up everywhere at random times. I deleted all apps I felt were suspicious, but the ads continued. I installed and scanned using two top-rated anti-malware programs (Malwarebytes and Comodo). Both failed to find the problem. Comodo presented two false positives which encouraged me to uninstall two perfectly good apps. The ads kept coming--even popping up while running the malware scans!

Next, I tried ESET. Within two seconds of starting a scan, it found TrojanDropper.Agent.BXQ hiding in the NextRadio app. Afterwards, it let me remove the app and malware with a single click.

Note: The above was essentially copied from my user rating/comment for the ESET app. If this sounds too much like a commercial, feel free to delete it. But I stand by everything said here. There are many possible causes and multiple solutions for unwanted pop-up ads. I hope this info can help at least some of those affected by this annoying problem.

almond8020

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Thank you everyone - this has been frustrating! I tried ESET and Malwarebytes and both came back clean. I can't hold home button because it prompts me to 'set up google assistant'. I DID however just think to open Advanced Task Mgmr a third party app and found something called QuickMemo+ running. I uninstalled this now- it's interesting and sneaky how that seemingly innocuous tool name my eyes glanced right over when I have been reviewing ALL my apps. Highly recommend Advanced Task Manager and opening it when an Ad pops up. Now I WAIT to see if any more pop ups will happen - hoping this resolves it for good.

NorthernWind

Apr 20, 2018
Visit site
Thank you everyone - this has been frustrating! I tried ESET and Malwarebytes and both came back clean. I can't hold home button because it prompts me to 'set up google assistant'. I DID however just think to open Advanced Task Mgmr a third party app and found something called QuickMemo+ running. I uninstalled this now- it's interesting and sneaky how that seemingly innocuous tool name my eyes glanced right over when I have been reviewing ALL my apps. Highly recommend Advanced Task Manager and opening it when an Ad pops up. Now I WAIT to see if any more pop ups will happen - hoping this resolves it for good.

QuickMemo+ shouldn't be the culprit. Its the default screenshot app on all LG phones. Ive used it for years and never had an issue.
I too just started having full screen ads pop up, which isnt only annoying, its dangerous. I had one pop up while flying my Phantom 4 at the worst possible time.
Ive uninstalled nearly every app I added over the past month and nothing seems to help. The only thing I can think of is it started right after I updated over 50 different apps. Narrowing down the issue has proven to be a massive pain in my ***.

Ed Ham

May 1, 2018
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with random full screen pop up ads. FLV Player was the culprit. Check out the reviews on the play store. So glad I finally found the problem and the fix. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Fairy6

May 31, 2018
Visit site
I've been getting pop up ads every 45 to 60 seconds on my phone, when I try to research it I'd found out that it had to do with sponsors and basically I was told nothing could be done about it. It's gotten so bad it's interrupted me using my phone to its fullest. Sorry, I just had another one pop up and it interrupted me putting this reply in. I don't know what to do about it, what suggestions do you have.