My Review on the HTC U Ultra

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, there doesn't seem to be much activity or review for this phone just yet (since it hasn't been release worldwide yet), so hope you guys won't mind me sharing mine. I did a video review for the phone, but if you want a more summarised version, just read below to save time.

In a nutshell, i would say this is a really decent smartphone. The camera is actually remarkably good, with consistent performance and natural looking colours. The performance is decent. The software experience, other than HTC's skin, works mostly similar to stock Android with some google apps as the default. The design is pretty striking too in the sapphire blue variant, albeit having big bezels.

But it's a phone that I probably wouldn't recommend most people to get at this point in time with the newer phones announced, or going to be announced soon. Especially not at its asking price.

When I compare it to devices like the V20, Mate 9, Google Pixel, Galaxy S7 Edge (all of which I've tested myself), there isn't really anything that is particularly impressive on the U Ultra. Even when comparing it to the HTC 10 it's not a clear win for the U Ultra. While the U Ultra has a bigger screen, better rear camera, it loses the headset jack (not a huge deal for me, but some people might not like it), loses the OIS on the front camera, and the battery life doesn't seem be be as good (with the second screen on).

And i'm still comparing it to devices from 2016 at this point. I can't help but feel like the phone came out a bit too late. It's still a really nice phone for most people I think, but for the more tech savvy, the only reason to go for the U Ultra would probably be the design and someone who wants a bigger HTC flagship device.

If you watched my video, you'll probably find it a bit on the negative side of things, and I really can't help it. I've been a fan of the company's product since the One X. And really its main series of smartphone has been constantly decent (except for the One M9 IMO), and perhaps a little bit too constant considering how much other manufacturers have improved. But in the past years of so, its product lineup has been somewhat of a mess (HTC 10 Lifestyle, Desire 10 Pro, One M9+, One E8, One E9+, One ME, One X9, One A9, etc).

This makes the U Ultra more heartbreaking disappointing to me considering how much expectations I had from the company. Especially after what I considered to be their return to form with the HTC 10. Anyway, hope this review will be helpful for those considering to get this phone. It's still a good phone, but perhaps I was just expecting a bit too much. If only the phone was priced more reasonably.

Anyone already got the phone or thinking about it? Will love to hear your thoughts on the phone too!

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for a while now. The only downside for me is the lack of a headphone jack. Considering that it won't work with any of the USB-C adapters I tried, this is a fatal flaw. Other than that it's pretty much the same as the LG G6 hardware wise and has the exactly same price. While 749$ isn't exactly cheap, it seems that all manufacturers have together decided to hike the prices this year. I believe the U Ultra will end up being one of the more moderately priced phones this year. The Huawei P10 Plus costs more, the S8 and the Sony XZ Premium will both be considerably more and the new iPhone will likely go for over a grand. The problem with the U Ultra is that it's fairly mainstream. It's the same device as the LG G6 and the Huawei. So why would anyone buy the one without the headphone jack if the others all have it and cost the same?

The 821 processor is a non-issue by the way. Early benchmarks of the S8 with its 835 are fairly discouraging. The S8 is barely faster than the S7. The 821 might actually turn out to be the better choice as it's quite low power and runs very cool.

The battery in the U Ultra isn't huge, but it lasts a full day and charges extremely fast.

The question remains: why buy this one rather than, say, a Pixel XL or an LG G6? Since they're all the same, it really doesn't matter. The second screen is very gimmicky and really does absolutely nothing for me. The lack of a headphone jack and no adapter available plain sucks. If it were priced 100$ less, it'd probably sell OK, but as it stands now, this will be a failure for HTC, IMO. One that could easily be fixed, though: make it a bit cheaper and send the buyers an audio adapter.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a while now. The only downside for me is the lack of a headphone jack. Considering that it won't work with any of the USB-C adapters I tried, this is a fatal flaw. Other than that it's pretty much the same as the LG G6 hardware wise and has the exactly same price. While 749$ isn't exactly cheap, it seems that all manufacturers have together decided to hike the prices this year. I believe the U Ultra will end up being one of the more moderately priced phones this year. The Huawei P10 Plus costs more, the S8 and the Sony XZ Premium will both be considerably more and the new iPhone will likely go for over a grand. The problem with the U Ultra is that it's fairly mainstream. It's the same device as the LG G6 and the Huawei. So why would anyone buy the one without the headphone jack if the others all have it and cost the same?

The 821 processor is a non-issue by the way. Early benchmarks of the S8 with its 835 are fairly discouraging. The S8 is barely faster than the S7. The 821 might actually turn out to be the better choice as it's quite low power and runs very cool.

The battery in the U Ultra isn't huge, but it lasts a full day and charges extremely fast.

The question remains: why buy this one rather than, say, a Pixel XL or an LG G6? Since they're all the same, it really doesn't matter. The second screen is very gimmicky and really does absolutely nothing for me. The lack of a headphone jack and no adapter available plain sucks. If it were priced 100$ less, it'd probably sell OK, but as it stands now, this will be a failure for HTC, IMO. One that could easily be fixed, though: make it a bit cheaper and send the buyers an audio adapter.

Thanks for the review! Yeah, the price is just a bit hard to swallow for what it does in my opinion. I would just go with the Pixel XL for this kind of money. Or cheaper options like V20, Mate 9 or even the HTC 10 still holds up well and offers similarly decent experiences.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Nope. And there doesn't seem to exist a compatible one at the moment, either.
Interesting. What adapters have you tried?

I'm very interested in this because it's probably be best clue we have to what HTC will do in their next flagship, though no guarantee it will be the same. In particular I'm interested in whether they have a decent DAC and amp in the phone and can output analogue audio via the USB-C, or whether they output only digital audio which then requires a DAC and amp in the dongle (like Apple, and since nobody wants to pay good money for a dongle that means using cheap components). I could live with the former, the latter would be a deal-breaker for me.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any adapters to try, but my friend tested a few when he still had the phone and nothing worked. I received a software update to this app by HTC afterwards though, not sure if it helps. I use primarily wireless earbuds, so I almost never 3.5mm earphones.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.htc.fwupdatetool&token=G51xN3kt

Audio Jack Adapter Toolkit
Toolkit to support USB-C Digital to 3.5mm Audio Jack Adapter firmware update.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any adapters to try, but my friend tested a few when he still had the phone and nothing worked. I received a software update to this app by HTC afterwards though, not sure if it helps. I use primarily wireless earbuds, so I almost never 3.5mm earphones.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.htc.fwupdatetool&token=EQw2rGza

Audio Jack Adapter Toolkit
Toolkit to support USB-C Digital to 3.5mm Audio Jack Adapter firmware update.
I tried after the update and the adapters still don't work. I tried one made for Motorola phones and another generic one

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
It's curious that they sell an adapter for the Bolt but if you look for accessories for the U Ultra it's described as "coming soon" (or was yesterday). Genuinely different adapters, or a bookkeeping error?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It's curious that they sell an adapter for the Bolt but if you look for accessories for the U Ultra it's described as "coming soon" (or was yesterday). Genuinely different adapters, or a bookkeeping error?
Yeah, not listed in Europe. HTC Europe told me there isn't one.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Do the included earbuds work with other USB-C devices?

The HTC Bolt doesn't have a jack too, and its included earbuds don't work with other USB-C devices.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, considering the feedback here (or lack thereof) and elsewhere, I'd seriously be surprised if this phone were selling.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance