Here is a short read from the blog stating that the U11+ was probably the design that HTC submitted to Google for the Pixel 2 XL.

https://www.androidcentral.com/htc-u...-phone-project

What do you guys think? Should this have been the device as opposed to the LG version?
    11-08-2017 09:14 AM
    This was the 2nd of 3 devices and was cancelled because it is too similar to what became the 2 XL (which, the LG 2 XL is alleged to have begun life as a Nexus phone). I'm personally glad that it isn't what we ended up with.
    11-08-2017 10:07 AM
    11-08-2017 01:56 PM
    HTC and Samsung were both unable (or unwilling) to keep up with demand for components and line priority above the initial order of the original pixels. Limiting 2017 to the same would be a mistake in my opinion and I'm glad that we have two different display manufacturers and two different sets of factories going assembling the devices. That said, it seems like there are some opportunities with the LG devices to improve if we're going down this path next year. Next up, I'm glad we don't have a Nexus phone in addition to a Pixel line up. Resurrecting that line seems like it could cause a whole lot of confusion, especially if the first nexus to return is $850...
    11-08-2017 02:24 PM
    HTC and Samsung were both unable (or unwilling) to keep up with demand for components and line priority above the initial order of the original pixels. Limiting 2017 to the same would be a mistake in my opinion and I'm glad that we have two different display manufacturers and two different sets of factories going assembling the devices. That said, it seems like there are some opportunities with the LG devices to improve if we're going down this path next year. Next up, I'm glad we don't have a Nexus phone in addition to a Pixel line up. Resurrecting that line seems like it could cause a whole lot of confusion, especially if the first nexus to return is $850...
    I think a Nexus phone would be good. It could take the place of the Android One, and become the bare minimum spec device for developers.
    11-08-2017 03:52 PM
    I think a Nexus phone would be good. It could take the place of the Android One, and become the bare minimum spec device for developers.
    I still have issues associating Nexus and low cost together. There were a couple of cheaper nexus devices, but most were at regular flagship prices and easily competed with flagships of the period. The 5X, etc. were the exception to the rule on phones. On tablets, 3 of the 4 Nexus tablets were lower cost, but somehow didn't compromise much at all on quality. So the idea of a cheaper Nexus phone bothers me and I'd rather keep Nexus dead, at least for now, until they can bring the line back in a way that greatly distinguishes it from the Android One and Pixel programs. This one would have been a fully priced flagship with all that entails.
    11-08-2017 03:58 PM
    I still have issues associating Nexus and low cost together. There were a couple of cheaper nexus devices, but most were at regular flagship prices and easily competed with flagships of the period. The 5X, etc. were the exception to the rule on phones. On tablets, 3 of the 4 Nexus tablets were lower cost, but somehow didn't compromise much at all on quality. So the idea of a cheaper Nexus phone bothers me and I'd rather keep Nexus dead, at least for now, until they can bring the line back in a way that greatly distinguishes it from the Android One and Pixel programs. This one would have been a fully priced flagship with all that entails.
    Fair enough.

Your point on having 2 OEMs make 1 phone each is sound. However, whatever is going on with the displays and burn in (my opinion on the tint is that it is a superficial thing; burn in is not acceptable for any reason), should not have happened.
    11-08-2017 04:04 PM
    Fair enough.

Your point on having 2 OEMs make 1 phone each is sound. However, whatever is going on with the displays and burn in (my opinion on the tint is that it is a superficial thing; burn in is not acceptable for any reason), should not have happened.
    Agree approximately a million percent
    11-08-2017 04:12 PM
    I should clarify from my earlier post: burn in that occurs quickly like it has in some cases is unacceptable. If you get burn in at say a year and a half of use, that can be debatable.
    11-08-2017 04:17 PM
    To also get back to the topic.....I myself am not sure. I can see arguments for both sides. HTC needs all the income they can get, but splitting the line probably helped with supply issues.
    11-08-2017 04:19 PM