This is an amazing phone

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
I got a translucent u11+ 6GB/128 off of eBay and I have all the flagships this year including the Mate 10 Pro and I have to say this is the best phone of 2017. The only drawback is the display isn't as vibrant like my 5T or my Note 8 but everything else is beyond amazing so the compromise isn't all that great. The sound, the camera (which is hands down better than my Pixel XL2), the speed, I'm getting two day battery life with heavy use, and the in hand feel are all best in class. I'm running on AT&T with no issues but it's very unfortunate this is not coming stateside for everyone else because they finally nailed it. This is definitely what the Pixel XL2 should of been.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The U11 is available in the US, just not with 128GB internal storage. But I wouldn't buy it anyway - no removable battery. I don't like having to pay close to $100 for a $15 battery.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I got a translucent u11+ 6GB/128 off of eBay and I have all the flagships this year including the Mate 10 Pro and I have to say this is the best phone of 2017. The only drawback is the display isn't as vibrant like my 5T or my Note 8 but everything else is beyond amazing so the compromise isn't all that great. The sound, the camera (which is hands down better than my Pixel XL2), the speed, I'm getting two day battery life with heavy use, and the in hand feel are all best in class. I'm running on AT&T with no issues but it's very unfortunate this is not coming stateside for everyone else because they finally nailed it. This is definitely what the Pixel XL2 should of been.

Hi, I've had my eye on this phone since its release, especially since finding out that it was supposed to be the Pixel 2 XL. I refuse to give Google $1000+ for a phone with a sub-par screen that feels like a plastic toy in hand, regardless of software. Anyway I have a few questions about your experience with the U11+, please.

1)Are you getting LTE with AT&T where you are, or are you relegated to only 4G? I'm on T-Mobile band 4, which is supported by the phone, but I'm wondering if "LTE" is specifically indicated?

2) Are you able to see the screen in direct sunlight at max brightness, or do you have to find shade? That's one gripe I have with my Nexus 6P. Visibility in sunlight is nonexistent.

3) You mention 2-day battery life. Can you give an example of SOT achieved? How is the standby time? Does the battery drain much overnight? I know the screen is an LCD panel as opposed to AMOLED, so black pixels still light up.

4) What case are you using? I know the phone comes with a case, but I'm looking to use a more rugged, protective case, since it's an all glass phone. Another thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this phone is lack of support with accessories.

Apologies for the long post. The way I see it, my options to upgrade are few. Samsung software scares me with the inevitable lag, as does the smaller battery and placement of the fingerprint scanner on the Note 8. I'm either going to end up getting the U11+, the S9+, or waiting to see if Google gets its act together with the 3 XL. First world problems. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've had my eye on this phone since its release, especially since finding out that it was supposed to be the Pixel 2 XL. I refuse to give Google $1000+ for a phone with a sub-par screen that feels like a plastic toy in hand, regardless of software. Anyway I have a few questions about your experience with the U11+, please.

1)Are you getting LTE with AT&T where you are, or are you relegated to only 4G? I'm on T-Mobile band 4, which is supported by the phone, but I'm wondering if "LTE" is specifically indicated?

2) Are you able to see the screen in direct sunlight at max brightness, or do you have to find shade? That's one gripe I have with my Nexus 6P. Visibility in sunlight is nonexistent.

3) You mention 2-day battery life. Can you give an example of SOT achieved? How is the standby time? Does the battery drain much overnight? I know the screen is an LCD panel as opposed to AMOLED, so black pixels still light up.

4) What case are you using? I know the phone comes with a case, but I'm looking to use a more rugged, protective case, since it's an all glass phone. Another thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this phone is lack of support with accessories.

Apologies for the long post. The way I see it, my options to upgrade are few. Samsung software scares me with the inevitable lag, as does the smaller battery and placement of the fingerprint scanner on the Note 8. I'm either going to end up getting the U11+, the S9+, or waiting to see if Google gets its act together with the 3 XL. First world problems. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Yes on ATT LTE I get great reception, no problems with speeds or drops, it's very good. It will say 4G in the top bar but I confirmed on LTE discovery app it is connected to LTE (band 17 for me at home). It's just in Europe they call it 4th generation.

So it seems with the display they set the floor very low, I can see it well in direct sunlight and the auto mode works great. You just have to go 10/15% higher than you usually would on any other phone. It's not a big deal it's a good display (and you can adjust it a million ways in display settings).

Right now I'm at 8 hours of SOT and about 2 days, I did optimize things in the boost app and you prevent apps from running in the background, I think that's why it gets really crazy battery life.

But it's the photos that are just leaps and bounds ahead of anything else and the audio is another HTC thing that is simply amazing.

OK Google also works with the screen off. Pretty sick phone.

I just use a slim case that has that sand feel to it I got off of Amazon but they have a bunch of cases on there. It comes with a clear one as well.

Enjoy!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes on ATT LTE I get great reception, no problems with speeds or drops, it's very good. It will say 4G in the top bar but I confirmed on LTE discovery app it is connected to LTE (band 17 for me at home). It's just in Europe they call it 4th generation.

So it seems with the display they set the floor very low, I can see it well in direct sunlight and the auto mode works great. You just have to go 10/15% higher than you usually would on any other phone. It's not a big deal it's a good display (and you can adjust it a million ways in display settings).

Right now I'm at 8 hours of SOT and about 2 days, I did optimize things in the boost app and you prevent apps from running in the background, I think that's why it gets really crazy battery life.

But it's the photos that are just leaps and bounds ahead of anything else and the audio is another HTC thing that is simply amazing.

OK Google also works with the screen off. Pretty sick phone.

I just use a slim case that has that sand feel to it I got off of Amazon but they have a bunch of cases on there. It comes with a clear one as well.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the info. The phone is definitely in contention now.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Do you just use your regular ATT sim card? Where did you purchase it from?

Thanks

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I live in Germany and got the U11+ too. I agree with almost everything posted here. The display is actually very good and also under direct sunlight readable with no problems.

On Wifi I get up to 9 hours SOT!! On LTE though I get a maximum of 5 hours, which is not bad, but could be better.

The display is not as bright as the one found in the U11, but it offers better viewing angles, HDR10 support, and better color reproduction. A truly great phone.
Just remember to disable News Republic if you want to extend battery life, and disable Facebook background data. I also disable Google location history, which also eats battery and is a bad feature (documenting ALL your moves and posting them to Google..No thank you)

hyollech

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi, could you tell me where you bought the phone? All german vendors i see tell me that it takes till end january to deliver.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
What protective cases are people using on their U11 Plus? Waiting on my translucent one to arrive. I usually get a spigen case but they don't seem to make them for the plus model...

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Been looking at this phone & it's a shame no carriers are selling it. Even having it on HTC's financing option it's expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech