10-17-2018 07:12 PM
89 ... 234
tools
    Because it's incredibly stupid to have to carry around a dongle to use a 3.5mm jack. Those dongles get lost, forgotten, and are otherwise a PITA to use.

I don't understand why manufacturers have to get rid of 3.5mm jacks when the market isn't ready for their removal. And the mental gymnastics to justify this removal is astounding.
    A key as reviews and tech reporters mention is the lack of the jack reduces the consumer base that would buy the device. Constraining sales makes no sense. Apple is a captive audience and no option, so not same. Motorola s hurting themselves as well.

HTC also tried to push the USB connection for headphones with the G1 and one or two devices after that. They quickly changed course back to 3.5 then. I guess HTC hopes people lose the DAC adapter and buy another one Guess I'm joking about that...
    06-10-2017 10:46 PM
    Some people don't have bluetooth for audio playback, or they have issues with bluetooth cutting in and out.
    In addition, Bluetooth sound quality in a car is not as good as a wired source. It may be good enough for most consumers but there is a definitive difference in sound and if you can't hear it, you're probably not listening close enough.
    06-14-2017 09:23 AM
    I understand that. What HTC did was give you drastically improved audio over USB C. The 3.5 jack has its limits. Just like the old CRT TV's had their limits. That's why we have the new wide screen HD TV's. For many it was a big inconvenience because wide screen TV's wouldn't fit in their TV cabinet or someplace else. But people adjusted because they wanted better quality. Well I want better audio and the only way to get it is with change. I welcome the change.

From records to reel to reel= change
    From reel to reel to 8 track= change
    From 8 track to cassette= change
    From cassette to CD= change
    From CDs to digital music= change

All for the better and all had an inconvenience attached to them. Inconveniences​ may have included buying an entire new album collection, new amps, new players, entire new sound system, cables and ADAPTERS.

This is part I not getting. One little adapter. Really. When people started buying HD TV's they had to buy component cables, HDMI cables and DVI cables at very expensive price. Some as much as$150. But I never heard anyone complain.

Now HTC gives you a better audio experience and gives you the adapter and people b***h. I just don't get.
    If you would be so kind, would you please explain how the USB connection gives you better sound than a 3.5 audio jack? Secondly, since you are using an adaptor you still end up with 3.5 audio jack in the line... So if there limitations to a 3.5 jack then they would still exist.
    ram1220 likes this.
    06-14-2017 09:31 AM
    I plugged my USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor in last night and a window popped up saying it was going to update it's software, and don't unplug it. It then it took about 30 seconds to install the update. I think the audio from this DAC sounds really good also. On par with my M10.
    06-14-2017 09:49 AM
    If you would be so kind, would you please explain how the USB connection gives you better sound than a 3.5 audio jack? Secondly, since you are using an adaptor you still end up with 3.5 audio jack in the line... So if there limitations to a 3.5 jack then they would still exist.
    Not to mention comparing media changes through time, to the method used to listen to media is a tad facetious. All HTC did was constrain sales by not having it. Apple is a captive audience, so not same thing there either. Not seeing how having to keep tabs with another item and being unable to charge same time as an option are positives for any user's mind except iSheep.
    ram1220 likes this.
    06-15-2017 01:45 PM
    Trying my Sony MDR-7506s with the supplied dongle, to me the sound quality is just ok about equal to my Galaxy S8. It is nowhere even close to my Axon 7 or LG V10. I plan to keep the phone, but I had hoped the audio would be much better.
    06-15-2017 05:31 PM
    Trying my Sony MDR-7506s with the supplied dongle, to me the sound quality is just ok about equal to my Galaxy S8. It is nowhere even close to my Axon 7 or LG V10. I plan to keep the phone, but I had hoped the audio would be much better.
    The USonic audio is the one you should try. To me that is superior and HTC has done a great job putting it together. I was thoroughly impressed when I used it for the first time and still love it!
    James E1 and Dutch R like this.
    06-16-2017 10:17 AM
    The USonic audio is the one you should try. To me that is superior and HTC has done a great job putting it together. I was thoroughly impressed when I used it for the first time and still love it!
    I did try the Usonics and they sound pretty good. At home though I prefer good closed ear headphones. I have trouble wearing earbuds so honestly I only use them when necessary.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-16-2017 06:50 PM
    I think it's piece of mind...if you don't have Bluetooth headphones and you are playing a game with headphones, it means you can only do one thing at a time.

You will have to charge the phone before playing the game.

With a headphones jack, you can quite happily charge and play the game with the headphones...

You might say we'll play the game without headphones whilst you charge but that is a compromise situation that we never had to do before.

And also Bluetooth is a hassle. Now I got to charge two devices?
    07-01-2017 01:14 AM
    It still makes zero sense to me to not have the 3.5mm jack. Constraining sales by not having it makes no sense. Only a captive audience like Apple fans can get away with that.

Ask Verizon the main reason for Moto sales being "less than ideal".
    07-01-2017 08:35 PM
    Okay, so, just read through the thread and I'm still not sure about the answer to this question: are there splitters that will allow charging while outputting audio through a 3.5mm jack? I ask because my car doesn't have Bluetooth audio, and I use GPS on fairly long trips that usually sucks down the battery.

So, while I have no problem with using my wired headphones with the included adapter, and don't typically charge my phone while I'm just listening to music anyways, my car does present a problem. I realize I can get a Bluetooth adapter for it, and that might solve my problem, but it's another expense and complication I'd rather avoid.

So, do splitters work (even without the enhanced quality)? Thanks!
    07-21-2017 03:05 AM
    Okay, so, just read through the thread and I'm still not sure about the answer to this question: are there splitters that will allow charging while outputting audio through a 3.5mm jack? I ask because my car doesn't have Bluetooth audio, and I use GPS on fairly long trips that usually sucks down the battery.

So, while I have no problem with using my wired headphones with the included adapter, and don't typically charge my phone while I'm just listening to music anyways, my car does present a problem. I realize I can get a Bluetooth adapter for it, and that might solve my problem, but it's another expense and complication I'd rather avoid.

So, do splitters work (even without the enhanced quality)? Thanks!
    Is there still not a strong viable solution for this? My car does not have Bluetooth. It's already bad enough having a charging cable and aux cable. Now I gotta get a dongle with USB C conversions? What's the simplest way to do this?
    10-16-2018 11:49 PM
    I have an FM transmitter that seems to work well. I went through a dozen of them until I found one that actually works. My TBird has two ports in the dash so I can charge using one and transmit from the other. It even allows me to make phone calls with it. It's not perfect but it is better than nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6370186
    TrophyNostalgia likes this.
    10-17-2018 06:57 AM
    Is there still not a strong viable solution for this? My car does not have Bluetooth. It's already bad enough having a charging cable and aux cable. Now I gotta get a dongle with USB C conversions? What's the simplest way to do this?
    Two options:
    1. HTC stereo clip. $33 on Amazon or $20 on ebay. Works great.
    2. Bluewave GET. More expensive but fantastic audio and allows you to use any 3.5 mm headphones with any phone. It was half the current price on kickstarter a year ago. Highly recommend it still.
    https://www.bluewaveaudio.ca/product...v=7516fd43adaa
    Gus_Gutz likes this.
    10-17-2018 07:12 PM
89 ... 234