07-06-2017 09:12 AM
119 123 ...
tools
    Don't get me wrong. This phone is fantastic and I am HTC fan since M7 but I have something that I think HTC should be improve for next HTC phone.

1. Move the fingerprint scanner to the back of the phone and do the all screen instead so HTC can fit 5.7- 5.8" screen.
    2. Do AMOLED instead of LCD.
    3. Stop glass back with nasty fingerprint magnet.

This is just my opinion and I will support HTC and hope they will do well with U11.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-05-2017 05:43 PM
    I don't know. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I will report back after the release date and I have the phone in hand.
    06-05-2017 07:34 PM
    Android authority talked about lens flares with night shots, possibly due to the back of the phone's high-gloss; this doesn't sound good.

That and no support for Ice View. I have become quite comfortable with using Ice View.
    06-05-2017 07:47 PM
    Overposted to heck at this point.

But lack of a built-in 3.5mm port.
    ram1220 likes this.
    06-05-2017 08:00 PM
    No OIS on the FF camera.
    06-05-2017 08:58 PM
    Don't get me wrong. This phone is fantastic and I am HTC fan since M7 but I have something that I think HTC should be improve for next HTC phone.

1. Move the fingerprint scanner to the back of the phone and do the all screen instead so HTC can fit 5.7- 5.8" screen.
    2. Do AMOLED instead of LCD.
    3. Stop glass back with nasty fingerprint magnet.

This is just my opinion and I will support HTC and hope they will do well with U11.
    My biggest complaint is that it's not here yet... Lol

Mac
    06-05-2017 09:46 PM
    No thanks to amoled. Screen burn.
    cjp39 likes this.
    06-06-2017 02:14 AM
    I'm not a fan of amoled screen, I prefer the LCD screens by far. I could careless where the fps is just as long as it has one. The phones lives in a case anyway so finger prints or not, a glass back is not an issue. Samsung has all of these features you want, I don't see HTC copying them anytime soon.
    cjp39 likes this.
    06-06-2017 10:38 AM
    I think the lack of an HDR capable screen is a big miss. HDR is the next big thing in displays (TVs, monitors and phones included) even over 4k. The addition of HDR 10 and/or Dolby Vision would help add a bit of future proofing as well provide another selling point.

I'm fine with the LCD screen vs an AMOLED one. I don't know if it is all AMOLEDs but Samsung's looks over saturated. I know the over saturation provides a "Wow, look at that screen" factor and that's why demo modes on TVs over saturate to pop color; it helps sell the TV. However, I prefer the screen to look natural. I saw one comment that LCD looked "washed out" but in reality it looks like what your eyes actually see.
    06-06-2017 10:59 AM
    I think the lack of an HDR capable screen is a big miss. HDR is the next big thing in displays (TVs, monitors and phones included) even over 4k. The addition of HDR 10 and/or Dolby Vision would help add a bit of future proofing as well provide another selling point.

I'm fine with the LCD screen vs an AMOLED one. I don't know if it is all AMOLEDs but Samsung's looks over saturated. I know the over saturation provides a "Wow, look at that screen" factor and that's why demo modes on TVs over saturate to pop color; it helps sell the TV. However, I prefer the screen to look natural. I saw one comment that LCD looked "washed out" but in reality it looks like what your eyes actually see.
    I am not convinced HDR will be an important feature in phones this year. Just not enough content to really take advantage. Also being such a small screen it really isn't a feature imo i care about
    Eggmundo, James E1 and ram1220 like this.
    06-06-2017 11:19 AM
    Bezels. I was expecting there to be at least minimal bezels horizontally.

Battery capacity is pathetic, on all these flagships. I want a ******* phone that CONVINCINGLY lasts all day on heavy usage.
    06-06-2017 12:11 PM
    It's due to calibration and color gamut settings.

Many mobile OLEDs come out of the box with a wide color gamut setting enabled (this also applies to some LCDs). But Android does not support system-level color gamut management until Android O, so any color gamut selected that is above sRGB results in severe inaccuracy.

Many current phones allow you to change the desired color gamut. It's usually in Display settings.
    06-06-2017 01:15 PM
    1. Lack of Dot View Case (with clear back). Had this on my M8.

2. Speck and Tech21 and Otterbox are not making cases for it.

3. Dual Camera on back like M8 and iPhone 7 Plus have for SLR type photos.

4. Lack of QC 4.0

5. Have to buy a new Kenu Stance Tripod for the USB-C port.
    https://www.kenu.com/products/stance-usb-c
    06-06-2017 03:22 PM
    1. Lack of Dot View Case (with clear back). Had this on my M8.

2. Speck and Tech21 and Otterbox are not making cases for it.

3. Dual Camera on back like M8 and iPhone 7 Plus have for SLR type photos.

4. Lack of QC 4.0

5. Have to buy a new Kenu Stance Tripod for the USB-C port.
    https://www.kenu.com/products/stance-usb-c
    Which phones have QC 4.0?
    06-06-2017 04:33 PM
    None. Not yet anyways.
    06-06-2017 05:00 PM
    Technically, all Snapdragon 835 phones have this capability built in. Not sure why it is not implemented.
    The Nubia Z17 is already QC 4+ certified!

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/20...-mobile-device

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...ved-efficiency
    06-06-2017 05:10 PM
    I stand corrected.
    06-06-2017 05:19 PM
    The only thing I hate about HTC is that they use Digital River as a US distributor. They messed up every HTC & Blackberry order I ever made & forget getting a prompt refund on returns. I refuse to EVER order from them again (even if it cost me an extra $50 to order through Amazon)!
    coronaboy10 and ram1220 like this.
    06-06-2017 08:13 PM
    No phone out there is perfect, and so I think threads like this are good; as they make us think outside of our biases and try to see our choices more objectively.

I have never used a front fingerprint scanner before, and really like the back position - so maybe the next iteration could try that for a change of pace. Of course, there are so many advantages to having a front fingerprint scanner, so it's not like this is a "flaw" or something negative.

The lack of a headphone jack has been kind of a controversial topic for this phone, but since I haven't used the adapter yet, I can't say whether or not it's a positive or negative experience. Other smartphone manufacturers have gone this route and so I personally don't think this design decision will make or break HTC. But it is still something that users will look for and if the adapters don't appeal to most users, perhaps HTC'S next iteration should return to form in this regard.

I can't really say anything definitive about this topic because I haven't held the phone in my hand yet, nor have I played with it yet. But I do wonder about how durable the glass is on the back. Perhaps Gorilla Glass 5 for next iteration would be a smart move; or they could make a clear case that provides adequate protection.

Size is great - I'm one of those rare people who do not want to use phablets, and my sweet spot for phone sizes is 5.2"-5.5" - so I'm happy with that design choice.

If and when I do buy this phone, I will be able to give more constructive criticism.
    06-06-2017 08:29 PM
    It's hard to comment on this thread without first having the u11 in hand but something I'm expecting that I won't like (in spite of my preorder) is the way notifications are handled i.e. a blinking LED if I understand correctly. I think I'm going to miss Moto display which lets me just look over at my phone and tells me whether I've missed a call, have a new email, or a traffic alert from Google without having to do anything. Using an LED seems like a jump back in time, back to the days of my Droid Razr!
    I'm also not crazy about the weight of this phone, 169g, a lot heavier than the moto x I'm currently using (144g).
    These are, however, both relative nitpicks and I'm really looking forward to getting my silver u11!
    06-06-2017 09:33 PM
    "Something you don't like about HTC U11"

This post might seriously tick people off, but I'll post it whether you like it or not.

- Lame squeezing gestures
    - Screen size only 5.5"
    - Non-removable battery
    - No headphone jack
    - No 128GB option
    - No OIS on front camera

lol, good to see that people have been tame and levelheaded.
    06-06-2017 09:56 PM
    - No 128GB option
    There is one overseas, apparently.

I have access to one with 128GB of storage and 6GB of memory. I wonder if it'll ever go stateside.
    06-06-2017 09:57 PM
    No wireless charging. Not a major issue as I have never had it. But would have been nice.

Besides that it is what it is and is lovely and just what I wanted. (bear in mind I am not a phone addict, I buy one for 2 years and then change)
    AustinTech likes this.
    06-07-2017 06:34 AM
    Whats the need for 128gb anyway ?

I have the 64gb version and decided on 32gb extra SD card. I doubt I will ever fill them. I am using 58gb on my current phone.
    06-07-2017 07:09 AM
    "Something you don't like about HTC U11"

This post might seriously tick people off, but I'll post it whether you like it or not.

- Lame squeezing gestures
    - Screen size only 5.5"
    - Non-removable battery
    - No headphone jack
    - No 128GB option
    - No OIS on front camera
    Here's my opinion, like it or not....

Lame squeezing gestures? What's so lame about it? I heard the same thing about LG double tap to wake too, and that has become a most requested feature for folks after getting used to using it. This can be similar and even more useful with development. Have you used a u11 to see how it works?

Screen size is only 5.5"... So what. You want something bigger, buy something different.

Non removable battery... Lol.. Get use to it, even LG is moving away from them.

No headphone jack.. Hmm.. I kinda feel the same way, but on the other hand if HTC has made the USB c work better, it's not a big deal. I'll know real shortly about this.

No 128 GB option.. That can change, not likely knowing HTC's way of doing things.

No OIS on the front camera. Do you actually walk and talk doing selfies? To be honest I think doing that is lame.

Seriously though you don't like the phone don't buy it.. Get a new Samsung or use the one you already have.

Mac
    Hyperspace13 likes this.
    06-07-2017 12:28 PM
119 123 ...