Where is the WiFi Calling setting?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm a moron, but I cannot find it anywhere. Using my U11 on Verizon, which was claimed to be "certified" by Verizon. Also am unable to add the Verizon Caller ID or Voicemail app to the U11, so the claims sure to seem to be dubious so far. This might be a short test-ride.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Whatsapp does WIFI calling :)

Anyway I hope you get it sorted

Yeah, I know. But every other phone I have/owned does it natively with Verizon. I was skeptical this would offer a truly seamless experience with Verizon, and so far I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise.

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm a moron, but I cannot find it anywhere. Using my U11 on Verizon, which was claimed to be "certified" by Verizon. Also am unable to add the Verizon Caller ID or Voicemail app to the U11, so the claims sure to seem to be dubious so far. This might be a short test-ride.

Mine is pre-ordered, and I'm curious how wifi calling will work on AT&T.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked phones may work on the network, but they aren't compatible with all features because Verizon doesn't provide the software updates for the phone. WiFi calling is something they add to the device, you know, that carrier bloat some people hate. It's not a problem unique to your U11, it's a problem with any phone you don't buy from Verizon.

T-Mobile is the same way to my understanding as well so it's not a Verizon specific problem.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Unlocked phones may work on the network, but they aren't compatible with all features because Verizon doesn't provide the software updates for the phone. WiFi calling is something they add to the device, you know, that carrier bloat some people hate. It's not a problem unique to your U11, it's a problem with any phone you don't buy from Verizon.

T-Mobile is the same way to my understanding as well so it's not a Verizon specific problem.

Except that with my unlocked Pixel and iPhones - neither of which were purchased from Verizon - those features work perfectly fine. So it's not necessarily because it wasn't purchased from Verizon. But these are the things I was worried about, which is why I appreciate HTC having a 30-day refund policy. There was much discussion about the U11 being "certified" by Verizon, but the discussions were very vague. People on internet boards insisting that "certification" meant everything would work, yada, yada, yada. Yet here were are, no service in non-LTE areas, no WiFi calling (which would have helped with the previous issue), no Visual Voicemail - and those are the shortcomings I've discovered after less than 24 hours with it. Proving once again that you can say pretty much anything on the internet whether it's true or not. :)

HOWEVER - this is a really beautiful and well-built phone. I'm going to hate having to return it if none of these issues are resolved in the next couple weeks. :(

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
And just received this notification on my Verizon account page:

x Your SIM card is loaded on a device not recognized by Verizon Wireless. Some services & features may not perform as expected.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
And just received this notification on my Verizon account page:

x Your SIM card is loaded on a device not recognized by Verizon Wireless. Some services & features may not perform as expected.
I don't think this is HTC's problem rather Verizon being aggressive to not provide services to phones not sold by them.

As soon as I inserted my TMobile SIM, U11 told me it needs to download carrier settings and the WiFi Calling option came through right away.

Anybody here using ATT? Do you get WiFi Calling in ATT?

shaiwon

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Except that with my unlocked Pixel and iPhones - neither of which were purchased from Verizon - those features work perfectly fine. So it's not necessarily because it wasn't purchased from Verizon. But these are the things I was worried about, which is why I appreciate HTC having a 30-day refund policy. There was much discussion about the U11 being "certified" by Verizon, but the discussions were very vague. People on internet boards insisting that "certification" meant everything would work, yada, yada, yada. Yet here were are, no service in non-LTE areas, no WiFi calling (which would have helped with the previous issue), no Visual Voicemail - and those are the shortcomings I've discovered after less than 24 hours with it. Proving once again that you can say pretty much anything on the internet whether it's true or not. :)

HOWEVER - this is a really beautiful and well-built phone. I'm going to hate having to return it if none of these issues are resolved in the next couple weeks. :(

How do you know Wi-Fi calling is not working? Have you tried making calls while on Wi-Fi? I'm still waiting for my U11 to arrive but I looked up the manual and it doesn't mention that feature at all. There doesn't seem to be a setting to switch on/off. Wishful thinking it's automatically active if enabled on your account with Verizon.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
How do you know Wi-Fi calling is not working? Have you tried making calls while on Wi-Fi? I'm still waiting for my U11 to arrive but I looked up the manual and it doesn't mention that feature at all. There doesn't seem to be a setting to switch on/off. Wishful thinking it's automatically active if enabled on your account with Verizon.
You do get the notification that WiFi calling is active and that you can configure it.

Here is a screenshot of the notification and the Wi-Fi calling setting page.

22a570b9f2befe0777288f3bb4c8d100.jpg
2c11edf91aa0958a8fee75ae98e7fc31.jpg

shaiwon

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Based on the language below directly from HTC, they claim features like wifi calling and VoLTE will work on all carriers. If it's not ready now then they'll most likely issue a software update to fix. I'm not too worried.

From unlocked HTC U11 site:

Unlocked devices usually don't support services such as Voice over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling, Mobile Hotspot and LTE Carrier Aggregation. Does the HTC U11 Unlocked edition support those services?

Yes, unlike other mobile phone manufacturers, HTC is proud to offer the best user experience to our customers. We support Voice Services over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling, Mobile Hotspot and Carrier Aggregation. Our HTC U11 has been built from the ground up for the North America customers and wireless networks. Some services may require the feature to be supported by your mobile operator before it will function on the HTC U11.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to call Verizon about it yet? Since you got a notification that the device isn't recognized, they may need to update your account on their side to make it work.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried to call Verizon about it yet? Since you got a notification that the device isn't recognized, they may need to update your account on their side to make it work.

I did. They said it's not recognized because it's not supported. IMEI not even in their system. It's already been returned to HTC. Way too much hassle. I like my phones to work like they're supposed to on my provider when I pop in my SIM. Like every other phone I've owned before.

Last edited:

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Using on AT&T and unless I missed something, I cannot find any menu setting for either WiFi calling or voLTE. I don't care as I don't use either one. Perhaps an update later on will add the features for those that care.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I did. They said it's not recognized because it's not supported. IMEI not even in their system. It's already been returned to HTC. Way too much hassle. I like my phones to, you know, work like they're supposed to on my provider when I pop in my SIM. Like every other phone I've owned before.
Carriers will not have the IMEI number of any unlocked device in their system, even for iPhones. So not a big surprise there. It's just Verizon being Verizon I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam