Verizon "certified" my arse

Hyperspace13

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I activated my U11 on Version today and getting it working was a lot smother than I expected. I went into a corporate store and he tried a few different sims and then got it working. The only problem is it doesn't use band 4 but I hear it will be working soon.

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon "certified" my arse

Could we possibly get a roll call of users with the u11 and being on Verizon? As well as if the user has any issues or lack of features?

I ordered a V20 but the U11 seems like a good phone and checks a lot of the boxes. However, the Verizon issue worries me.

Last edited:

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I'm using the u11 on Verizon and am generally ok with the service. 4G seems to work very well when I'm out and about and I've not experienced dropped calls either. Not having visual voicemail is a minor pain but I don't get that many voicemails anyway. There's no wifi calling but that's not something I've ever had and don't think I really need.

henrykrinkle

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the u11 on Verizon and am generally ok with the service. 4G seems to work very well when I'm out and about and I've not experienced dropped calls either. Not having visual voicemail is a minor pain but I don't get that many voicemails anyway. There's no wifi calling but that's not something I've ever had and don't think I really need.

Same experience here. Only thing I might miss is the wifi calling (haven't needed it yet) but otherwise, no problems.

Andrew72501

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Current known Verizon issues are:

• No Band 4/Advanced LTE support
  • No Wi-Fi Calling
  • No Visual Voicemail
The first item on the list is the biggest problem I have with the U11 on Verizon right now. The phone currently only supports a single LTE band (13), which really isn't acceptable IMO.

Also not having even basic visual voicemail without having to signup for a separate number with Google Voice is also not a good sign of Verizon's support of this device. Dial *86, really Verizon and HTC???!??

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Also not having even basic visual voicemail without having to signup for a separate number with Google Voice is also not a good sign of Verizon's support of this device. Dial *86, really Verizon and HTC???!??

I did that after using Sprint's visual VM for years. Its not hard to set up, works as well as what I was used to and you don't have to use the google number for anything...

Andrew72501

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
The point isn't whether it's easy or not to set up GV (as a matter of fact it's very easy to set up VV with Google Voice for any provider), rather that this workaround has to be done in the first place. Sorry, *86 as a default voicemail option is some serious 1990s $%!!. Unacceptable in 2017 for a modern smartphone.

People here seem to be content with the current state of what HTC and Verizon are offering up here in the U11 on Verizon, and that's unacceptable quite frankly. Imagine if a Verizon rep were to read stuff like "oh, the U11 works fine with Verizon". None of these problems will ever get fixed.

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

• No Wi-Fi Calling
  • No Visual Voicemail
The first item on the list is the biggest problem I have with the U11 on Verizon right now. The phone currently only supports a single LTE band (13), which really isn't acceptable IMO.

Thanks for being up the Band 4 issue. Hopefully, that gets resolved soon.

Hyperspace13

May 2, 2016
Visit site
The point isn't whether it's easy or not to set up GV (as a matter of fact it's very easy to set up VV with Google Voice for any provider), rather that this workaround has to be done in the first place. Sorry, *86 as a default voicemail option is some serious 1990s $%!!. Unacceptable in 2017 for a modern smartphone.

People here seem to be content with the current state of what HTC and Verizon are offering up here in the U11 on Verizon, and that's unacceptable quite frankly. Imagine if a Verizon rep were to read stuff like "oh, the U11 works fine with Verizon". None of these problems will ever get fixed.

I don't know of any unlocked phones that work with visual voicemail.

Andrew72501

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon "certified" my arse

I don't know of any unlocked phones that work with visual voicemail.
I've previously brought both an unlocked iPhone SE and and unlocked Pixel XL to Verizon and they both had VV. Maybe it's because neither of them required the standalone app, both built into the OS/software.

Regardless it's not a major ask to tweak the standalone VVM app and make it work. Or am I just insane in thinking no 2017 smartphone should have to resort to the same process we did to get voicemail with a flip phone 20 years ago?

Hyperspace13

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I see HTC has changed the specs of the Verizon version.

Verizon Unlocked:

2G-GSM: (850/900/1800/1900)
3G UMTS: 900/850/1900/2100 (1/2/5/8)
4G LTE
FDD: Bands B13
VoLTE calling

henrykrinkle

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I almost never use video calling but I just noticed that the option doesn't appear to be available in the dialer. Is this a U11 or a Verizon thing? Or both?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

• No Wi-Fi Calling
  • No Visual Voicemail

And no simultaneous voice and data right? That's a big deal for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad