Are you able to get full LTE functionality on AT&T?

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to pull up full LTE functionality? I have yet to pull the trigger on the phone because I've been reading horror stories over on XDA. Apparently, a lot of folks are experiencing issues with getting their IMEIs in the AT&T system. One person at AT&T actually told them "the U11 is not compatible with their network and as such they will de-provision LTE from your account and only permit you to get HSPA+". Is this happening to any of you?? I realize the U11 doesn't support Band 30, but this also seems like a mess.

Thanks.

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Question for those on AT&T...

No problems here. I had a Pixel XL on the sim, data speeds are about the same and my dBm is a couple points better too.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

I had an iPhone 6s Plus on the SIM. The U11 immediately pulled up LTE when I placed the SIM in the tray and powered up the phone.

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site

Unfortunately, I'm an long time AT&T customer that is sending his HTC U11 back. It is a gorgeous device, very fast, and love the device. But the hassle with AT&T is too much. Three hours online last night with tech support, then advanced tech support, trying to get Mobile Hotspot and Wifi Calling to work. I also do not have HD voice. All three of these features work flawless out of the box on my S7 Edge.
These features are essential today due to my work. I'm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where AT&T is about the only game if you want these features. Verizon coverage is spotty, Sprint and Tmobile will not sell service in the entire UP of Michigan, and the MVO's don't offer the premium features that AT&T do.
My gripe is not with HTC, but rather the carriers. They force you into using their devices. I need an unlocked device because we travel overseas frequently and don't want to pay the robbery international plans from AT&T.
It's just a sad day for me. Sending this beautiful device back is the last thing I wanted to do.

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Only with a carrier branded AT&T phone (other than IPhone) will you mostly get wifi calling. You should be able to get mobile hotspot though. You won't get wifi calling on the U11 on AT&T. If you were on TMO you wouldn't have a prob with any of these items. I have the unlocked HTC 10 and nothing has changed. I don't get wifi calling on AT&T and knew it when I bought it.

AndyTX

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site

I just activated my U11 on AT&T yesterday and noticed this morning that it was on HSPA+. Haven't had any luck messing with settings but will call them soon

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, I'm an long time AT&T customer that is sending his HTC U11 back. It is a gorgeous device, very fast, and love the device. But the hassle with AT&T is too much. Three hours online last night with tech support, then advanced tech support, trying to get Mobile Hotspot and Wifi Calling to work. I also do not have HD voice. All three of these features work flawless out of the box on my S7 Edge.
These features are essential today due to my work. I'm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where AT&T is about the only game if you want these features. Verizon coverage is spotty, Sprint and Tmobile will not sell service in the entire UP of Michigan, and the MVO's don't offer the premium features that AT&T do.
My gripe is not with HTC, but rather the carriers. They force you into using their devices. I need an unlocked device because we travel overseas frequently and don't want to pay the robbery international plans from AT&T.
It's just a sad day for me. Sending this beautiful device back is the last thing I wanted to do.
Regarding the unlocked for travel complaint, simply get a AT&T phone from AT&T then use a 3rd party service to unlock it. Used to cost me ca $25.00. I did that often before I retired in 2015 and moved out of the country.
I was with AT&T for years and traveled to asia often, so, like you, unlocked was important to me. Using a 3rd party unlocking service always worked great. Getting a phone from AT&T guaranteed that everything worked on their network. When I would travel I simply bought a sim card from a local provider, popped it in and was good.

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

With all of that said, unlocked or not you still won't get wifi calling on AT&T but you should get HD Voice on LTE and Mobile Hot Spot.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

With all of that said, unlocked or not you still won't get wifi calling on AT&T but you should get HD Voice on LTE and Mobile Hot Spot.

This is incorrect. You will not get VoLTE / HD Voice or WiFi Calling. Mobile Hot Spot works fine if your package includes it. This is not like the HTC 10 where they baked in the necessary code for HD Voice.

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I get VoLTE just fine on my 10. Everything you were able to get on the 10, you should get on the 11.

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the same boat here after monitoring the posts over on XDA. My employment arrangement prevents me from ever leaving AT&T (or fighting with them regarding feature support), and my home/work/frequently-traveled locations basically necessitate having a device that works with all of the advanced features. My recent stint with a OP3t made me realize how much I'd come to rely on the Wifi Calling, HD Voice, and VoLTE supported by my S7E (Note: I've yet to use a faster phone than the OP3t, so if you can do without these features, I highly recommend it). I bought the U11 based on HTC's promise that it would work with all of those features on AT&T (leading me to believe they'd certified it with them), but it looks like that isn't the case. It's killing me having an brand-new, beautiful U11 sitting here in a box and not using it. It's just not worth the headache for me, though.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Not to mention the U11 is missing at&ts band 29 and 30. The HTC 10 had these bands fyi. The bands are mainly used in populated areas for congestion relief.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Not to mention the U11 is missing at&ts band 29 and 30. The HTC 10 had these bands fyi. The bands are mainly used in populated areas for congestion relief.

The lack of Band 30 sucks, I had both the U11 and an S8 on AT&T in downtown Chicago for a concert on the lakefront last Saturday, the U11 was unusable as far as data, the S8 was working flawlessly on Band 30.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

The funny thing is that all the employees on Twitter that usually respond to my questions keep ignoring the question on the lack of these bands.

Me too! I've had the HTC Vivid, M7, M8, M9, 10, but I'm gonna pass on the U11. Waiting on the Pixel 2 now! At least it's partially made by HTC. Haha.

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site

No problem here on AT&T. In fact, I get a better signal than my S8. As others have said, the code is not there for voLTE. I knew this before buying and don't care. If you use or have to have these features, stick with a carrier branded phone.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

No problem here on AT&T. In fact, I get a better signal than my S8. As others have said, the code is not there for voLTE. I knew this before buying and don't care. If you use or have to have these features, stick with a carrier branded phone.
Wow voLTE? Really?! I can't see them not including that with att even if the phone doesn't have the other advanced features

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary