BE CAREFUL! Screen shattered from 2 foot fall onto carpet.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, I knew I might someday break a cell phone screen. Over many years dating back to my Palm Treo 600, I have had a new phone every 2 or 3 years and never damaged any of them. Today, sitting in a chair at work, the U11 slipped out of my hand and fell onto a carpeted floor less than 2 feet down as I removed it from my front pocket. It was in the included plastic case. (A Spigen case was pre ordered but 2 weeks away from production). U11 landed perfectly on the plastic corner of the case and shattered the corner of the screen and sent a curved crack from the bottom left in a counter clockwise fashion about 4 inches all the way to the top left corner of the screen. The Supershieldz screen protector is still perfect. Phone works, sure, but I am sorely disappointed. Will see if someday there are screen replacement parts and if the local CPR can fix it.

But building glass phones with curved glass edges is like putting screen doors on submarines. Last time I get a phone that doesn't have a quality case available at launch.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've done that with other phones. I did that with my new M10 in it's Spigen case, and it survived from pocket to concrete. This phone make me really nervous. I pre ordered the Spigen for this also and can't wait for it to get here, which looks like Monday, according to UPS, which is weeks ahead of schedule, luckily.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Must be thin carpet

Industrial carpet, yes, but it looks like the force from the clear plastic case is concentrated on the corner and does not disperse it in any way. you might be better off without the included case. I emailed HTC customer support about fixing the screen. Sprint says I have to take it to a store. Doubt it is fixable until spare parts are available.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Industrial carpet, yes, but it looks like the force from the clear plastic case is concentrated on the corner and does not disperse it in any way. you might be better off without the included case. I emailed HTC customer support about fixing the screen. Sprint says I have to take it to a store. Doubt it is fixable until spare parts are available.

In your opinion, do you think a TPU case would have fared better in distributing the impact force? Sorry for your misfortune, but I'm glad that we all have something to be aware of now.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
In your opinion, do you think a TPU case would have fared better in distributing the impact force? Sorry for your misfortune, but I'm glad that we all have something to be aware of now.

I think a TPU case will definitely lessen the chance of a corner screen break. The hard, clear included case, particularly at the bottom corners, focuses all of the force from contact right onto the curved glass screen over an area of about 1.7 cm. That's at least part of the problem. The hard plastic case covers the back and prevents scratches, but if your phone lands on one of the two bottom corners, the curved lip that holds the phone to the case will take the brunt of the impact.

A quality TPU case should mitigate the problem. Wish Otterbox, or Speck or Tech21, etc would make cases. Spigen is coming, but I have never owned a Spigen product.

Symphony_of_Sickness

May 26, 2011
Visit site
my U11 took a fall at work two or so feet off of a scanner and i didn't even realize it dropped. the scanner wasn't running at the time either. i had it plugged in to charge but that cord is thick. the floor is concrete with thin carpet on top. phone survived thankfully but i'm being extra careful not to repeat that since the phone is slippery and my spiegen case isn't here til later this month.

Last edited:

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I knew I might someday break a cell phone screen. Over many years dating back to my Palm Treo 600, I have had a new phone every 2 or 3 years and never damaged any of them. Today, sitting in a chair at work, the U11 slipped out of my hand and fell onto a carpeted floor less than 2 feet down as I removed it from my front pocket. It was in the included plastic case. (A Spigen case was pre ordered but 2 weeks away from production). U11 landed perfectly on the plastic corner of the case and shattered the corner of the screen and sent a curved crack from the bottom left in a counter clockwise fashion about 4 inches all the way to the top left corner of the screen. The Supershieldz screen protector is still perfect. Phone works, sure, but I am sorely disappointed. Will see if someday there are screen replacement parts and if the local CPR can fix it.

But building glass phones with curved glass edges is like putting screen doors on submarines. Last time I get a phone that doesn't have a quality case available at launch.

Wow, that is unacceptable. I was considering this device. You jyst changed my mind in a big way.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
When are spigen due to release their covers for the U11?

My Spigen Rugged Armor HTC U11 Case with Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design for HTC U 11 is scheduled for delivery on Monday June 19th, and I can't wait and I'm being extremely careful until then.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma