07-04-2017 02:14 PM
78 123 ...
tools
    Well, I knew I might someday break a cell phone screen. Over many years dating back to my Palm Treo 600, I have had a new phone every 2 or 3 years and never damaged any of them. Today, sitting in a chair at work, the U11 slipped out of my hand and fell onto a carpeted floor less than 2 feet down as I removed it from my front pocket. It was in the included plastic case. (A Spigen case was pre ordered but 2 weeks away from production). U11 landed perfectly on the plastic corner of the case and shattered the corner of the screen and sent a curved crack from the bottom left in a counter clockwise fashion about 4 inches all the way to the top left corner of the screen. The Supershieldz screen protector is still perfect. Phone works, sure, but I am sorely disappointed. Will see if someday there are screen replacement parts and if the local CPR can fix it.

But building glass phones with curved glass edges is like putting screen doors on submarines. Last time I get a phone that doesn't have a quality case available at launch.
    06-14-2017 08:59 PM
    Sorry for your misfortune. I miss Uh Oh protection.
    06-14-2017 09:10 PM
    Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've done that with other phones. I did that with my new M10 in it's Spigen case, and it survived from pocket to concrete. This phone make me really nervous. I pre ordered the Spigen for this also and can't wait for it to get here, which looks like Monday, according to UPS, which is weeks ahead of schedule, luckily.
    06-14-2017 09:12 PM
    Even without uh oh protection you can still call up htc they can fix it but im not sure how much it would cost
    06-14-2017 09:15 PM
    This is scary.
    06-15-2017 06:49 AM
    Must be thin carpet
    06-15-2017 06:55 AM
    Yikes man. I think this is a bad sign.
    06-15-2017 07:59 AM
    So sorry this happened to you! Keep us updated about your next steps!
    06-15-2017 08:12 AM
    Must be thin carpet
    Industrial carpet, yes, but it looks like the force from the clear plastic case is concentrated on the corner and does not disperse it in any way. you might be better off without the included case. I emailed HTC customer support about fixing the screen. Sprint says I have to take it to a store. Doubt it is fixable until spare parts are available.
    06-15-2017 08:42 AM
    Industrial carpet, yes, but it looks like the force from the clear plastic case is concentrated on the corner and does not disperse it in any way. you might be better off without the included case. I emailed HTC customer support about fixing the screen. Sprint says I have to take it to a store. Doubt it is fixable until spare parts are available.
    In your opinion, do you think a TPU case would have fared better in distributing the impact force? Sorry for your misfortune, but I'm glad that we all have something to be aware of now.
    06-15-2017 10:20 AM
    Complete glass phones are stupid. It's bad enough to have to worry about the front screen of a phone lol
    AnnDroid and ram1220 like this.
    06-15-2017 12:36 PM
    In your opinion, do you think a TPU case would have fared better in distributing the impact force? Sorry for your misfortune, but I'm glad that we all have something to be aware of now.
    I think a TPU case will definitely lessen the chance of a corner screen break. The hard, clear included case, particularly at the bottom corners, focuses all of the force from contact right onto the curved glass screen over an area of about 1.7 cm. That's at least part of the problem. The hard plastic case covers the back and prevents scratches, but if your phone lands on one of the two bottom corners, the curved lip that holds the phone to the case will take the brunt of the impact.

A quality TPU case should mitigate the problem. Wish Otterbox, or Speck or Tech21, etc would make cases. Spigen is coming, but I have never owned a Spigen product.
    06-15-2017 02:08 PM
    HTC Customer care says I can send it to be fixed for somewhere between $185 -$345 depending on extent of damage.
    06-15-2017 07:23 PM
    HTC Customer care says I can send it to be fixed for somewhere between $185 -$345 depending on extent of damage.
    That seems like quite a bit of cash.
    raves68 likes this.
    06-15-2017 08:47 PM
    my U11 took a fall at work two or so feet off of a scanner and i didn't even realize it dropped. the scanner wasn't running at the time either. i had it plugged in to charge but that cord is thick. the floor is concrete with thin carpet on top. phone survived thankfully but i'm being extra careful not to repeat that since the phone is slippery and my spiegen case isn't here til later this month.
    06-16-2017 12:00 AM
    Yikes!
    06-16-2017 12:49 AM
    Ouch. That's a chunk of cash.

Kinda makes you wish Uh-Oh still exists.
    06-16-2017 01:02 AM
    When are spigen due to release their covers for the U11?
    06-16-2017 03:38 AM
    Well, I knew I might someday break a cell phone screen. Over many years dating back to my Palm Treo 600, I have had a new phone every 2 or 3 years and never damaged any of them. Today, sitting in a chair at work, the U11 slipped out of my hand and fell onto a carpeted floor less than 2 feet down as I removed it from my front pocket. It was in the included plastic case. (A Spigen case was pre ordered but 2 weeks away from production). U11 landed perfectly on the plastic corner of the case and shattered the corner of the screen and sent a curved crack from the bottom left in a counter clockwise fashion about 4 inches all the way to the top left corner of the screen. The Supershieldz screen protector is still perfect. Phone works, sure, but I am sorely disappointed. Will see if someday there are screen replacement parts and if the local CPR can fix it.

But building glass phones with curved glass edges is like putting screen doors on submarines. Last time I get a phone that doesn't have a quality case available at launch.
    Wow, that is unacceptable. I was considering this device. You jyst changed my mind in a big way.
    ram1220 likes this.
    06-16-2017 07:18 AM
    When are spigen due to release their covers for the U11?
    My Spigen Rugged Armor HTC U11 Case with Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design for HTC U 11 is scheduled for delivery on Monday June 19th, and I can't wait and I'm being extremely careful until then.....
    06-16-2017 09:05 AM
    Wow, that is unacceptable. I was considering this device. You jyst changed my mind in a big way.
    U realize every cellphone screen can crack from the smallest drop... It just depends on how it hits the floor
    James E1 likes this.
    06-16-2017 09:39 AM
    U realize every cellphone screen can crack from the smallest drop... It just depends on how it hits the floor
    That is true.

However, curved glass does have a slightly higher tendency to be affected by an impact.
    ram1220 likes this.
    06-16-2017 01:02 PM
    That is true.

However, curved glass does have a slightly higher tendency to be affected by an impact.
    I can attest to that. I had an s8 plus slide from my pocket and hit the concrete floor when I was sitting in low lawn chair from maximum of 2 inches but it was right on the corner. It cracked on impact and when it fell to lay flat since I cracked two of the corners.
    06-17-2017 02:40 PM
    I just got the U11 Unlocked through their website and barely tapped the phone on something (at least so it seemed) and it cracked the whole corner with one crack going all the way to the other side then turning and going down to where the power button is.

Sucks because I'm used to the HTC phones being pretty durable. I have had I believe 4 HTC phones prior to this, including the M8 and M9, and they've taken a beating very well. So, it's pretty disappointing that I have to really be careful with this phone.

How did you inquire about it getting fixed? I sent an email on the contact us page waiting on response.
    06-18-2017 01:42 PM
    Mine fell inches from my hand on concrete steps. Shattered in the lower left screen. Im a long life HTC device user. This is the first phone from them thats been non durable. I'm sure the rounded edged screen has much to do with it. Now just waiting to see what my options are.
    06-18-2017 05:55 PM
78 123 ...