How do I search for contacts addresses using OK Google and Google Maps?

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Howdy, Just switched to Android from iOS. Smooth sailing so far, however, and I've seen this issue pop up from time to time.

I can't use OK Google or Google Maps to search for contact addresses, for example if I say, "Get me directions to XXXXXX's home" It will usually do a google search for businesses with a similar name. Likewise

OK Google seems to be able to do other actions with Contacts, like send an email/txt message/phone call, just not directions.

I've done a bit of Googling but getting nowhere, one of the big suggestions seems to be going into Google maps > your places > settings and turn it on there, but I don't have the Show Contacts option there (First option is Your timeline, Google Photos)

Am tempted to restore my device to factory and see if that helps. Does anyone have any advice at all?

I've got a HTC U11. Latest updates and all that.

Thanks in Advance,
Angus

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it the way u said it "give me directions to (contact's name)" and it worked too... Don't say home or work unless it asks u for it

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Not working for me :( Just gives me business with a similar sounding name. Likewise if I search for a contact from within Maps I don't get the address, I'm sure there's something missing here...

When I search for my partners name it finds me a massage therapist by the same name.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Not working for me :( Just gives me business with a similar sounding name. Likewise if I search for a contact from within Maps I don't get the address, I'm sure there's something missing here...

When I search for my partners name it finds me a massage therapist by the same name.

do you have his address in his contact

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I generally don't have addresses in my contacts but I tried putting address to my wife's contact card and asked Google assistant navigate me to [my wife's name]

It just says can't find that place. So it's not recognizing that it has to go to the Google contact and fetch the address.

Edit: tried on my Pixel XL as well but can't do that there as well.

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I generally don't have addresses in my contacts but I tried putting address to my wife's contact card and asked Google assistant navigate me to [my wife's name]

It just says can't find that place. So it's not recognizing that it has to go to the Google contact and fetch the address.

Edit: tried on my Pixel XL as well but can't do that there as well.

Exact same problem. I've read that it just started randomly working for people. Wonder if because I've just imported my contacts to gmail if there's a delay in the onboarding process.

Also wondering if there's something buggy on Google's end because I'm using G suite instead of a regular gmail account. (seems odd though, lots of people would have this problem of so)

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Exact same problem. I've read that it just started randomly working for people. Wonder if because I've just imported my contacts to gmail if there's a delay in the onboarding process.

Also wondering if there's something buggy on Google's end because I'm using G suite instead of a regular gmail account. (seems odd though, lots of people would have this problem of so)
I have regular Google account and been using them for long can't even remember from when. Though I just added the address to my wife's contact card. I'll see if I have address present in any of the other contacts and try with it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It worked for a contact that already had address previously. So may be with my wife's contact card it was not sync'd to the server yet. Though it should have seen the local contacts had the address entered. Weird but it does work for my contacts who had address already present.

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I have regular Google account and been using them for long can't even remember from when. Though I just added the address to my wife's contact card. I'll see if I have address present in any of the other contacts and try with it.

Yeah wonder if it's a sync thing. Am considering doing a factory reset and trying again, although I don't seem to be able to search for contacts in maps.google.com on desktop either (and yes I'm signed in)

Thanks for checking btw. I use voice alot in the car. I'm terrible with remembering directions.

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
It worked for a contact that already had address previously. So may be with my wife's contact card it was not sync'd to the server yet. Though it should have seen the local contacts had the address entered. Weird but it does work for my contacts who had address already present.

So weird. Will be curious to see if it randomly starts working for me.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I've read gsuite accounts have issues doing things regular Gmail accounts can do, maybe this is one... When u go into Google maps so their address show under "your places"?

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I've read gsuite accounts have issues doing things regular Gmail accounts can do, maybe this is one... When u go into Google maps so their address show under "your places"?

No they don't.

That would make absolutely no sense though, people with custom domains (business people who travel to visit clients) would be a perfect use case for this.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
No they don't.

That would make absolutely no sense though, people with custom domains (business people who travel to visit clients) would be a perfect use case for this.
I'm just going by what I've read online... I don't have it so I can't say if it's true or not but I've read ppl say they weren't able to do some things before and it took an update to support it

Or were u saying that they don't show up in "your places" menu?

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm just going by what I've read online... I don't have it so I can't say if it's true or not but I've read ppl say they weren't able to do some things before and it took an update to support it

Or were u saying that they don't show up in "your places" menu?

They dont show up over Your Places no option to add contacts there.

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Think I found the issue. Web & Activity was turned on for me, but turned off globally for my G-suite organisation. Just enabled it in the Admin Console, OK Google doesn't recognise the name, but my contacts are appearing in Google Maps now. Will try Android Auto shortly.

Instructions for anyone who stumbles across this in the future: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6304876?hl=en

AngusGA

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Also for the sake of completeness, Google Now's disabled in Gsuite administrator, despite what Google's documentation says, it's under Advanced Settings - Other Google Settings

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463