U11 vs S8 camera comparison video

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the more well organized camera comparison videos I've seen. In the end the U11 objectively comes out on top. The reviewer is very thorough and detailed in his analysis and concludes that the U11 indeed does have the best smartphone camera on the market.

https://youtu.be/GaB1lJAQtcg?t=10m1s

However, I'm starting to see this trend where the U11 doesn't seem to do as well vs its competition in camera comparisons on tech sites and with tech reviewers with more notoriety. I won't $peculate a$ to why that's the ca$e

DancingRam

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
This is one of the more well organized camera comparison videos I've seen. In the end the U11 objectively comes out on top. The reviewer is very thorough and detailed in his analysis and concludes that the U11 indeed does have the best smartphone camera on the market.

https://youtu.be/GaB1lJAQtcg?t=10m1s

However, I'm starting to see this trend where the U11 doesn't seem to do as well vs its competition in camera comparisons on tech sites and with tech reviewers with more notoriety. I won't $peculate a$ to why that's the ca$e

Hahaha!!! Yeeeessss! I honestly think they should hire you to keep things in line. Nobody calls a donkey a donkey like you do! Seriously though, the sheepdung bias is getting old...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So you think this Supersaf comparison is faked?
https://youtu.be/D_gyFDfPUfo

Faked, no way. I'll just say it's ummmm interesting how his results contrast with these:

https://youtu.be/seriytKvbWQ
https://youtu.be/J7siN4MibMc
https://youtu.be/tmaNHCaqqwo
https://youtu.be/CJkjuZx3_Ec
https://youtu.be/Hv5NsV88C1w

His results have a stark contrast between the U11 and the S8’s end results, other comparison videos not so much. I'm not saying he's known for having a heavy Samsung bias or is a fanboy, but it's interesting nonetheless. You see the same pattern with the S8, iffy white balance that's not true to life, aggressive post-processing with sharpening, vibrancy, clarity, and color saturation. Where the S8 seems to excel in my opinion is low light. It retains highlight details at the expense of shadow details (which I prefer), whereas HTC seems to favor retaining shadow details and boosting ISO while not being heavy with the noise reduction.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Of course he's getting paid by Samsung. He appears in their commercial and everything with other YouTubers. You think these guys want to **** Samsung off and get shunned for future devices and similar commercials?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Of course he's getting paid by Samsung. He appears in their commercial and everything with other YouTubers. You think these guys want to **** Samsung off and get shunned for future devices and similar commercials?

You don't know if he's getting paid by Samsung for his reviews. Everything in his video seems accurate. The big question is whether he changed the touch auto exposure setting on the HTC. That makes a big difference with the results.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You don't know if he's getting paid by Samsung for his reviews. Everything in his video seems accurate. The big question is whether he changed the touch auto exposure setting on the HTC. That makes a big difference with the results.

He does. There was a YouTuber who was put on Samsung's **** list and he explained how they get paid from Samsung. Though not directly in the form of cold hard cash, they do get some form of revenue from King Samsung. Said YouTuber will no longer get exclusive (read early) access to devices released by Samsung.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Objectively comes out on top? Seems a more apt word is subjectively. Not seeing any science here to support the term of objectively. Both devices IMO do very good.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
He does. There was a YouTuber who was put on Samsung's **** list and he explained how they get paid from Samsung. Though not directly in the form of cold hard cash, they do get some form of revenue from King Samsung. Said YouTuber will no longer get exclusive (read early) access to devices released by Samsung.

Assuming Supersaf did get paid by Samsung, how do you know HTC did not also pay? The idea that the reviewers are on someone else's payroll is ridiculous.

Many reviewers have not put the U11 camera over the S8 camera. They can't all be on "Samsung's payroll". This seems like more of an issue of Samsung haters refusing to believe they're the best at things.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Here are two other comparisons that show the U11 as clearly outperforming the S8. I'm not saying the S8 doesn't have great cameras, but I think these results would be quite unexpected if you watched only the SuperSaf video.

https://youtu.be/0H7cKg3PFqo
https://youtu.be/cCALPhlExsw

That S8 focusing problem has been known since early May at least, and yet no reviewers discuss it.

No reviewers discuss it because it appears that people with that problem need to return their phones for a new one. You say it's a known issue, but I am struggling to find anyone outside of YouTube complaining about it. Recording in 1080p doesn't make sense anyway. It's like taking 6 megapixel images with your 12 megapixel camera. Nothing in those videos showed that the HTC U11 has a better camera than the S8.

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
No reviewers discuss it because it appears that people with that problem need to return their phones for a new one. You say it's a known issue, but I am struggling to find anyone outside of YouTube complaining about it. Recording in 1080p doesn't make sense anyway. It's like taking 6 megapixel images with your 12 megapixel camera. Nothing in those videos showed that the HTC U11 has a better camera than the S8.

I'm not here to debate. The S8 is a really nice phone. I'll respond to each point.

1. No reviewers discuss it: Yes, maybe people who have the problem need to return it. But it is still a problem. Apparently some users of the S7 had a similar issue.
One video showing a problem is above. Here is another. https://youtu.be/wE2_F_HuGkI
S7 problem: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/1080p60fps-lag-focus-t3346794
More on the S8: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/video-recording-bad-quality-t3613367

2. Recording 1080p doesn't make sense: It doesn't make sense to record in 4K if you don't have a 4K display. 4K eats up a lot of storage space. It drains battery. And users should have the option. Your opinion that it doesn't make sense to use it has no value beyond your own head.

3. Nothing in those videos: It's a subjective assessment. I disagree.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not here to debate. The S8 is a really nice phone. I'll respond to each point.

1. No reviewers discuss it: Yes, maybe people who have the problem need to return it. But it is still a problem. Apparently some users of the S7 had a similar issue.
One video showing a problem is above. Here is another. https://youtu.be/wE2_F_HuGkI
S7 problem: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/1080p60fps-lag-focus-t3346794
More on the S8: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/video-recording-bad-quality-t3613367

2. Recording 1080p doesn't make sense: It doesn't make sense to record in 4K if you don't have a 4K display. 4K eats up a lot of storage space. It drains battery. And users should have the option. Your opinion that it doesn't make sense to use it has no value beyond your own head.

3. Nothing in those videos: It's a subjective assessment. I disagree.
Recording videos in 4K futureproofs your videos for a few years. You always want to record in the highest resolution possible. 8K TVs are on the horizon and with every increase in resolution, your 1080p video will look worse and worse.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Assuming Supersaf did get paid by Samsung, how do you know HTC did not also pay? The idea that the reviewers are on someone else's payroll is ridiculous.

Many reviewers have not put the U11 camera over the S8 camera. They can't all be on "Samsung's payroll". This seems like more of an issue of Samsung haters refusing to believe they're the best at things.

You know what, I'll play along with you on this one. No it's not ridiculous for reviewers to be in Samsung's payroll. In the past they've hired people to write bogus reviews and defaming comments about HTC and were fined for it. Not to far fetch for them to put reviewers on their payroll if they'd stoop so low to hinder the progress of their competitors. No one is asserting that all are in Sammy's payroll, this is about the person that YOU brought into this discussion, who has a reputation for being devoted to Samsung (not sure how true).

Your last sentence tells me everything I need to know about how you view things...

This seems like more of an issue of Samsung haters refusing to believe they're the best at things.

Samsung is the best at displays and that's about where their superiority ends. They aren't the best at battery life, performance and optimisations, camera photos (front and rear), video recording, audio recording, audio playback (internal and external), etc. So what exactly is there to "refuse to believe"?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Objectively comes out on top? Seems a more apt word is subjectively. Not seeing any science here to support the term of objectively. Both devices IMO do very good.

Do you consider the following measurable criteria to be objective with regards to smartphone camera capabilities?

1. OIS performance
2. *White balance
3. *Color saturation
4. Autofocus speed and accuracy
5. Shadow/Highlight details
6. Video recording quality (i.e., bitrate, frame rate consistency, exposure compensation, etc.)

Items noted with a "*" would of course require a reference source, calibration tools, etc.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You know what, I'll play along with you on this one. No it's not ridiculous for reviewers to be in Samsung's payroll. In the past they've hired people to write bogus reviews and defaming comments about HTC and were fined for it. Not to far fetch for them to put reviewers on their payroll if they'd stoop so low to hinder the progress of their competitors. No one is asserting that all are in Sammy's payroll, this is about the person that YOU brought into this discussion, who has a reputation for being devoted to Samsung (not sure how true).

Your last sentence tells me everything I need to know about how you view things...

Samsung is the best at displays and that's about where their superiority ends. They aren't the best at battery life, performance and optimisations, camera photos (front and rear), video recording, audio recording, audio playback (internal and external), etc. So what exactly is there to "refuse to believe"?
Samsung is good in all of those areas, except for idle battery drain. They're the most complete package of any smartphones. Every other phone has more/significant drawbacks. The idea that Samsung pays off all of its reviewers is nonsense. Does Samsung pay off Flossy Carter too?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is good in all of those areas, except for idle battery drain. They're the most complete package of any smartphones. Every other phone has more/significant drawbacks. The idea that Samsung pays off all of its reviewers is nonsense. Does Samsung pay off Flossy Carter too?

*Sigh* Ok, here goes.

You said..
This seems like more of an issue of Samsung haters refusing to believe they're THE BEST at things.

To which I listed the following categories
Samsung is the best at displays and that's about where their superiority ends. They aren't the best at battery life, performance and optimisations, camera photos (front and rear), video recording, audio recording, audio playback (internal and external), etc

^^^ That is ONE category where they're the best that I'm aware of.

Samsung is good in all of those areas, except for idle battery drain

Keyword, Good. So how can you make this claim when they're outclassed in other areas aside from display technology?
They're the most complete package of any smartphones.

^^^Being the best at one thing while comparatively struggling at other areas, doesn't spell out complete package.

Then you stated the following:
...You always want to record in the highest resolution possible.

Recording at the highest bitrate and higher frame rate can have a larger impact on video quality, than recording at the highest absolute resolution within the scope of smartphone cameras. For example, 4K streaming has inferior quality compared to Blu-ray, with regards to video quality.

8K TVs are on the horizon and with every increase in resolution, your 1080p video will look worse and worse.

^^^8K TVs (and 8K content) are a long ways away from being an affordable option on the consumer market, so I'm not sure what you mean by on the horizon. Also with every increase in resolution, wouldn't 4K videos look worse and worse?

Also I wasn't aware of Flossy Carter (who is one of the more well respected reviewers) was ever being accused of being a Samsung shill, so why did you even bring his name up?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
*Sigh* Ok, here goes.

You said..

To which I listed the following categories

^^^ That is ONE category where they're the best that I'm aware of.

Keyword, Good. So how can you make this claim when they're outclassed in other areas aside from display technology?

^^^Being the best at one thing while comparatively struggling at other areas, doesn't spell out complete package.

Then you stated the following:

Recording at the highest bitrate and higher frame rate can have a larger impact on video quality, than recording at the highest absolute resolution within the scope of smartphone cameras. For example, 4K streaming has inferior quality compared to Blu-ray, with regards to video quality.

^^^8K TVs (and 8K content) are a long ways away from being an affordable option on the consumer market, so I'm not sure what you mean by on the horizon. Also with every increase in resolution, wouldn't 4K videos look worse and worse?

Also I wasn't aware of Flossy Carter (who is one of the more well respected reviewers) was ever being accused of being a Samsung shill, so why did you even bring his name up?

- Samsung isn't outclassed in any area
- Samsung doesn't struggle in any area
- Samsungs have historically had the best cameras at the time they released
- Samsung phones are easily the best package out there
- The bitrate and frame rate aren't going to matter when your video is tiny
- The 4K bitrate between the HTC U11 and Samsung is only 6Mbps (U11 = 54Mbps, S8 = 48Mbps)
- The HTC U11 1080p bitrate is 20Mbps
- 4K videos would hold up much better than 1080p videos
HTC U11 review: Squeeze U - page 8 - GSMArena.com
Samsung Galaxy S8 review: Essence distilled - page 9 - GSMArena.com
- Flossy Carter loves Samsungs; every time they come out, he says they're the best phones out there, just like most reviewers do
- 8K TVs will be attainable in a couple of years

Last edited:

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
- The 4K bitrate between the HTC U11 and Samsung is only 6Mbps (U11 = 54Mbps, S8 = 48Mbps)
- Flossy Carter loves Samsungs; every time they come out, he says they're the best phones out there, just like most reviewers do

*Whistle* *Whistle* Dude....how on earth are you trying to dispute anything and not elaborate or go into more granular detail?

(0_o) - eh?? Battery life, audio, and software, which I've already stated before

For whatever reason, Samsung still struggles to get the runtime performance optimized, regardless of the hardware specs. They continue to lag behind other manufactures who are running their devices on the exact same hardware platform. Their UI overlay is still loaded with bloat and half-baked or duplicate applications and implementations.

You spelled Nokia wrong. Also iPhones have had better cameras up until the release of the S6.

Why? Because you say so? Care to elaborate. I've provided a shortlist of why they are
not the "best" package out there. What criteria are you basing this on?

What do you mean by the video being tiny? Are you speaking about viewing on a smartphone display? If you are, then that contradicts the entire justification you're making about shooting at the highest resolution possible and all of this impending 8K talk.

......lol..didn't you just say that "The bitrate and frame rate aren't going to matter when your video is tiny"? So why even bring up info that isn't going to matter

4K videos would follow the same path as FHD when being viewed on higher resolution displays. Isn't that the point of your argument <X> video would look worse being rendered on <Y> display, where X is of lower resolution than Y?

GSMARENA!!!!! Dude...really?? I've pulled their card already!! They've rigged comparison tests between Samsung and HTC (in Samsung's favor), especially when it came to the camera comparison test. PhoneArena was guilty also, who I've also pointed out. My evidence was irrefutable. Care to call my bluff on that? (click the link below and see my posts in the thread)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m7/268063-phone-arena-camera-comparison.html#post2703170

Either you're joking or you haven't been watching Flossy Carter long. If I find a video where he didn't say that a Samsung was the best when it came out (which has happened), that would make your statement a lie...and it is a lie.

Riiigggghhtt. Let's see, manufactures are slowly but surely entering the OLED market (while getting their panels from LG), but 8K is supposed to be attainable in a couple of years? With what content and hardware? Which manufacture will be able to produce sufficient yields to be a supplier? Yeah that cart is light years ahead of the horse.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol... Y'all are funny

Habib if the person believes Samsung is best at all those other categories let him... He has his mind made up