Scratches on the Screen

cgfw201

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Got the phone last week just before Glastonbury, and didn't have time to get a case + screen protector before I went.

Anyway, was v careful whilst I was there, always with phone in separate pocket etc. However I managed to pick up a couple of small scratches on the screen. Barely visible, but a bit annoying. Presume it was from a bit of dirt in my pocket or something like that.

Read similar issues just now on the S8 forum which google pointed me to. Think both phones have Gorilla Glass 5, which is softer than previous GG to make it more smash-resistant.

1 Anyone had similar issues?
2 Is there an easy fix which actually works? Tried the baking soda + water method, no luck.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
tried that, but they are still visible. having said that, it was advertised as tempered glass, but feels a bit more plasticy than previous ones I've had. Could try a more robust one.

You can try this. Someone on XDA said it helps to hide scratches. Once scratched always scratched all you can do is hide it now.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think anything is 100% scratch proof no matter how well you take care of it. Those little micro-scratches will always show up.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I scratched mine the first day I had it, which was very disappointing as I didn't put a single mark on an unprotected S7 in 9 months.

That said, a good clean and a screen protector and you can't see it any more. Even before the screen protector, it would no longer be visible after a clean with the included cloth. It would just appear again as soon as your finger grease got on it.

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ya I had these 2 marks on my phone when there were no screen protectors or after marker cases available. There was no rainbow effect like I usually get with scratches. Instead if you used the screen there would be a gap in the fingerprint smudges. I could feel the marks but couldn't see them. Put on a TG screen protector and I still don't see the marks.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Think both phones have Gorilla Glass 5, which is softer than previous GG to make it more smash-resistant.

I wish I would have known this before I started using my u11. I assumed that later versions of GG were more scratch resistant. I don't like using screen protectors and now have a light scratch on my u11. Barely noticeable but still a bit annoying.
Before the u11 I had used a moto x for 2 years w/no screen protector and had no scratches at all.

Frankie Castillo

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I decided to make an account just so I could share my experience. I am an original HTC dream Android guy and I have loved every HTC phone I have Ever had. Even bought a Nexus one from google when it came out and the phone was defective and didn't vibrate but it was still my favorite phone.
Long story short, I love everything about the U11 except this screen scratching problem.
I keep my phones in immaculate condition and I did try the sgs6 for 2 years befor getting the u11 last week.
My sgs 6 is scratch free even after over 2 years. After just 1 week of owning my htc u11 I see little scratches on the screen.
This really pisses me off because as I said i keep my things immaculate. I can even feel the scratch with my fingernail.
The screen they used ruined the phone

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I decided to make an account just so I could share my experience. I am an original HTC dream Android guy and I have loved every HTC phone I have Ever had. Even bought a Nexus one from google when it came out and the phone was defective and didn't vibrate but it was still my favorite phone.
Long story short, I love everything about the U11 except this screen scratching problem.
I keep my phones in immaculate condition and I did try the sgs6 for 2 years befor getting the u11 last week.
My sgs 6 is scratch free even after over 2 years. After just 1 week of owning my htc u11 I see little scratches on the screen.
This really pisses me off because as I said i keep my things immaculate. I can even feel the scratch with my fingernail.
The screen they used ruined the phone

Gorilla glass 5 is gorilla glass 5. One phone with gorilla glass 5 is not and will not scratch any easier than another phone with gorilla glass 5. Now the sgs6 probably had gorilla glass 4. It's my understanding that gg4 was a little better at preventing scratches but a little easier to crack than gg5. Any flagship phone you may have purchased this year likely has gg5. Don't blame HTC for something they didn't make and would have happened on any phone using gg5.

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought my U11 in July and I absolutely love it. I put a case on it and a screen protector but it got lint under i and I hated it so I took it off and havnt put one back on it and I've dropped my phone and have just used it normal and so far no scratches hope I don't jinx myself but the glass has been great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo