Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Does the U11 have some form of an always on display? If not, do you have to actually wake the phone to check notifications?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow, how is that remotely acceptable on an alleged flagship? Seems like a giant step down from the U-Ultra which at least had a secondary display. Having to physically wake the display seems very 2015-ish. #DealKiller for me.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow, how is that remotely acceptable on an alleged flagship? Seems like a giant step down from the U-Ultra which at least had a secondary display. Having to physically wake the display seems very 2015-ish. #DealKiller for me.
Lol because it's not as important to everyone.... That's just like asking how is it acceptable that a flagship doesn't have stereo speakers or at least hifi audio at this time but not all of them do

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The G6 AOD sucks though. It uses a significant chunk of battery life because it can't turn on only the pixels it needs like phones with an AMOLED panel can.
My mother has a g6 and it doesn't really affect her battery but she isn't a heavy user she basically just check Facebook and watch some videos here and there...

But I noticed hers go off when the sensor is covered (she closes her case) and comes back on when the case is opened... Is it suppose to do that?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
But I noticed hers go off when the sensor is covered (she closes her case) and comes back on when the case is opened... Is it suppose to do that?

Yes. The idea is if the face/sensor is covered then the need for the always on display is not necessary. So if it's in your pocket or face down on a table, you get what I'm saying...

The G6 AOD sucks though. It uses a significant chunk of battery life because it can't turn on only the pixels it needs like phones with an AMOLED panel can.

Wrong. Battery life used by always on is minute

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

No it doesn't use a significant chunk of battery life, who told you that? Also you're wrong about how it can't turn on only the pixels it needs. Since it's an LCD panel, it can switch individual pixels to the on/off position as needed to let light pass through it.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't use a significant chunk of battery life, who told you that? Also you're wrong about how it can't turn on only the pixels it needs. Since it's an LCD panel, it can switch individual pixels to the on/off position as needed to let light pass through it.

After looking it up, people report that the LG AOD doesn't take much battery life, but it is also VERY dim compared to Samsung's AOD. Boosting the brightness of the LG AOD to Samsung levels does increase the battery drain. LCDs can't do AODs as efficiently as an AMOLED.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
After looking it up, people report that the LG AOD doesn't take much battery life, but it is also VERY dim compared to Samsung's AOD. Boosting the brightness of the LG AOD to Samsung levels does increase the battery drain. LCDs can't do AODs as efficiently as an AMOLED.

Off top I think the only LCD panels that might be able to come close to implementing AOD that can utilize less power are ones that use IGZO technology. But I still don't see that reaching AMOLED levels of efficiency. I personally think the secondary display is the best option for LCD displays to show content normally used by AOD implementations, while using less power than normal.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Off top I think the only LCD panels that might be able to come close to implementing AOD that can utilize less power are ones that use IGZO technology. But I still don't see that reaching AMOLED levels of efficiency. I personally think the secondary display is the best option for LCD displays to show content normally used by AOD implementations, while using less power than normal.

Secondary displays are ugly gimmicks to get around a display technology deficiency. They're completely unnecessary.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Secondary displays are ugly gimmicks to get around a display technology deficiency. They're completely unnecessary.

Not really.

My LG v10 and v20 both have the secondary displays and they work very well and hardly made a difference in battery life when I used it.

AOD isn't a deal breaker for me.. I'm not in a hurry these days and can always just push my power button to light up the lock screen and see what notifications I have. Some folks want them, others don't.. Life goes on...

Mac