01-08-2018 09:59 AM
40 12
tools
    Does the U11 have some form of an always on display? If not, do you have to actually wake the phone to check notifications?
    07-02-2017 09:56 PM
    It doesn't have AOD. The supported gesture is double tap to wake up to quickly check notifications.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-03-2017 03:04 AM
    Wow, how is that remotely acceptable on an alleged flagship? Seems like a giant step down from the U-Ultra which at least had a secondary display. Having to physically wake the display seems very 2015-ish. #DealKiller for me.
    07-03-2017 11:12 AM
    Can't have an always on display on an LCD panel. Has to be amoled .
    07-03-2017 02:14 PM
    Can't have an always on display on an LCD panel. Has to be amoled .
    I'm pretty sure the G6 has some variation of AOD and it's LCD.
    Stevenmc8602 likes this.
    07-03-2017 03:06 PM
    I just remember seeing something like that at. It might be because HTC doesn't make their own panels as well.
    07-03-2017 03:25 PM
    The G6 AOD sucks though. It uses a significant chunk of battery life because it can't turn on only the pixels it needs like phones with an AMOLED panel can.
    07-03-2017 04:44 PM
    The G6 AOD sucks though. It uses a significant chunk of battery life because it can't turn on only the pixels it needs like phones with an AMOLED panel can.
    That's what I was trying to get at.
    07-03-2017 06:39 PM
    Wow, how is that remotely acceptable on an alleged flagship? Seems like a giant step down from the U-Ultra which at least had a secondary display. Having to physically wake the display seems very 2015-ish. #DealKiller for me.
    Lol because it's not as important to everyone.... That's just like asking how is it acceptable that a flagship doesn't have stereo speakers or at least hifi audio at this time but not all of them do
    07-04-2017 01:06 AM
    You are correct it does have an AOD option
    07-04-2017 01:07 AM
    My mother has a g6 and it doesn't really affect her battery but she isn't a heavy user she basically just check Facebook and watch some videos here and there...

But I noticed hers go off when the sensor is covered (she closes her case) and comes back on when the case is opened... Is it suppose to do that?
    07-04-2017 01:10 AM
    But I noticed hers go off when the sensor is covered (she closes her case) and comes back on when the case is opened... Is it suppose to do that?
    Yes. The idea is if the face/sensor is covered then the need for the always on display is not necessary. So if it's in your pocket or face down on a table, you get what I'm saying...

Wrong. Battery life used by always on is minute
    07-04-2017 02:17 AM
    No it doesn't use a significant chunk of battery life, who told you that? Also you're wrong about how it can't turn on only the pixels it needs. Since it's an LCD panel, it can switch individual pixels to the on/off position as needed to let light pass through it.
    07-04-2017 08:40 AM
    No it doesn't use a significant chunk of battery life, who told you that? Also you're wrong about how it can't turn on only the pixels it needs. Since it's an LCD panel, it can switch individual pixels to the on/off position as needed to let light pass through it.
    It's the backlight that uses the power and on an LCD that can only be on or off, you can't set this for individual pixels. OLED displays have no backlight so only require power for the pixels that are switched on.
    07-04-2017 11:40 AM
    After looking it up, people report that the LG AOD doesn't take much battery life, but it is also VERY dim compared to Samsung's AOD. Boosting the brightness of the LG AOD to Samsung levels does increase the battery drain. LCDs can't do AODs as efficiently as an AMOLED.
    07-04-2017 01:28 PM
    After looking it up, people report that the LG AOD doesn't take much battery life, but it is also VERY dim compared to Samsung's AOD. Boosting the brightness of the LG AOD to Samsung levels does increase the battery drain. LCDs can't do AODs as efficiently as an AMOLED.
    Off top I think the only LCD panels that might be able to come close to implementing AOD that can utilize less power are ones that use IGZO technology. But I still don't see that reaching AMOLED levels of efficiency. I personally think the secondary display is the best option for LCD displays to show content normally used by AOD implementations, while using less power than normal.
    07-04-2017 01:52 PM
    Off top I think the only LCD panels that might be able to come close to implementing AOD that can utilize less power are ones that use IGZO technology. But I still don't see that reaching AMOLED levels of efficiency. I personally think the secondary display is the best option for LCD displays to show content normally used by AOD implementations, while using less power than normal.
    Secondary displays are ugly gimmicks to get around a display technology deficiency. They're completely unnecessary.
    07-04-2017 02:24 PM
    http://www.greenbot.com/article/3077...omparison.html

This was a write up about aod comparing the S7 and the G5
    07-04-2017 02:36 PM
    Secondary displays are ugly gimmicks to get around a display technology deficiency. They're completely unnecessary.
    Not really.

My LG v10 and v20 both have the secondary displays and they work very well and hardly made a difference in battery life when I used it.

AOD isn't a deal breaker for me.. I'm not in a hurry these days and can always just push my power button to light up the lock screen and see what notifications I have. Some folks want them, others don't.. Life goes on...

Mac
    07-04-2017 02:43 PM
    LG G5 vs Galaxy S7 always-on displays: Features and battery life compared | Greenbot

This was a write up about aod comparing the S7 and the G5
    The tests he did were worthless. He didn't compare the battery drain without AOD. Samsung phone batteries drain faster than LGs does even when AOD is off so the tests say nothing about AOD itself.
    07-04-2017 03:17 PM
    The G6 AOD sucks though. It uses a significant chunk of battery life
    No it does not, I have owned both the G6 and an S8/S8+ and the LG G6 AOD used less battery than my Samsung. Does not make sense but that is what I experienced.
    07-04-2017 04:47 PM
    The tests he did were worthless. He didn't compare the battery drain without AOD. Samsung phone batteries drain faster than LGs does even when AOD is off so the tests say nothing about AOD itself.
    Yet your claim that the LGG6 aod used a large amount of battery is backed up by no facts. Do you even have a G6? I do.
    07-04-2017 07:40 PM
    No it does not, I have owned both the G6 and an S8/S8+ and the LG G6 AOD used less battery than my Samsung. Does not make sense but that is what I experienced.
    The LG AOD doesn't use less battery than Samsung's AOD. Like I said, Samsungs drain battery when idling at a higher rate than LG phones do and that is with the AOD off.
    07-04-2017 08:38 PM
    I personally like the 2nd screen because of the function ...I think if more phone would've included it ppl would've stopped thinking of it as a gimmick and actually appreciated it and it's functionality
    vision63 likes this.
    07-04-2017 08:54 PM
    I personally like the 2nd screen because of the function ...I think if more phone would've included it ppl would've stopped thinking of it as a gimmick and actually appreciated it and it's functionality
    If you've not noticed something about the person you've responded to, he follows the same pattern the HTC forums have to deal with every year when an HTC flagship releases. Nothing of value to add to any discussion and is intent on being argumentive without the intelligence or reasoning skills to back it up. Best to ignore and not waste time..lol. But yeah, secondary displays can be the tits and offer far more usability than AOD.
    07-04-2017 08:59 PM
40 12