U11 & Nexus 6P Camera Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So you believe that auto mode just chooses subjects and settings at random?

Algorithms are programed to choose the applicable setting values (shutter speed, ISO, WB, etc.) to calculate an exposure value based on a set of inputs, most times determined with the assistance of metering. As for the other parameters (saturation, contrast, etc.) for post-processing the RAW to JPEG, there's no guesstimating what the user might want it to look like. That's at the manufacturers discretion. Of course they can push firmware updates to change the parameters at any time.

Also what do you mean by subject settings? The software can make a best guess as to what should be in focus based on what's in the frame, but if you're speaking of the entire scene, nothing about that is random, else you'd get inconsistent results per exposure per the same scene.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Algorithms are programed to choose the applicable setting values (shutter speed, ISO, WB, etc.) to calculate an exposure value based on a set of inputs, most times determined with the assistance of metering. As for the other parameters (saturation, contrast, etc.) for post-processing the RAW to JPEG, there's no guesstimating what the user might want it to look like. That's at the manufacturers discretion. Of course they can push firmware updates to change the parameters at any time.

Also what do you mean by subject settings? The software can make a best guess as to what should be in focus based on what's in the frame, but if you're speaking of the entire scene, nothing about that is random, else you'd get inconsistent results per exposure per the same scene.

You just proved me right.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You just proved me right.

Ummm not hardly. Do explain how just to make sure we're both on the same level, prior to my rebuttal. I think you're confused, but I could be wrong. Let's make it easy, which of the following do you think the camera software "knows" the user wants to accomplish:

1. Exposure
2. Highlight retention + details
3. Shadow retention + details
4. ISO
5. Shutter speed
6. Contrast
7. Sharpness
8. WB
9. Clarity
10. Saturation
11. Noise reduction

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
First of all, let's review what I said.

They mean that Samsung cameras take excellent pictures in pretty much any reasonable conditions you throw at it. Action, low light, whatever -- Samsung cameras do an excellent job at seeming to know what you're trying to accomplish in an image just using auto mode.

And how does it accomplish this?

Algorithms are programmed to choose the applicable setting values (shutter speed, ISO, WB, etc.) to calculate an exposure value based on a set of inputs, most times determined with the assistance of metering.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Action, low light, whatever -- Samsung cameras do an excellent job at seeming to know what you're trying to accomplish in an image just using auto mode.

I will say this one more time so... Please pay attention

No Samsung camera or any camera in this world knows what you want it to do.... Using the word as you are "Seeming " is implying that a inanimate object can read your thoughts and adjust the exposure to the way you are wanting it to be... Sorry that doesn't happen. There is nothing more to it than software

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
First of all, let's review what I said.

And how does it accomplish this?

So to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the point you're trying to make, you're asserting that the software for the camera is programmed to best guess what the shooter is trying to accomplish vs what the manufacture wants the end result to be???? If you're only speaking of exposure, I'll give you half a point for that one. Everything else out of the 11 categories I listed, the manufacturers program it according to how they think the outcome should be.

So out of those categories I listed, which does the auto-mode guess what the user wants to accomplish? Your answer will make everything crystal clear.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I will say this one more time so... Please pay attention

No Samsung camera or any camera in this world knows what you want it to do.... Using the word as you are "Seeming " is implying that a inanimate object can read your thoughts and adjust the exposure to the way you are wanting it to be... Sorry that doesn't happen. There is nothing more to it than software

The definition of "Seeming" is "external appearance as distinguished from true character". What I said is accurate.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The definition of "Seeming" is "external appearance as distinguished from true character". What I said is accurate.

Hardly accurate.

Why don't you just say that the camera takes good pictures on automatic and leave it at that? No one would disagree if you did...

Instead you elect to give it some bs magical properties which it does not possess.

Either way I'm done here with this..

Mac

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Let’s just say this.

Even with identical hardware, the end results from 2 cameras will not be alike due to different methods and philosophies of post-processing.

I hate to say it, but I never trust most auto modes. They work 99% of the time, but there’s always that one point where it doesn’t do what you think it should. Unless I can actually telepathically communicate with my camera on what my intentions are, manual mode is usually my go-to.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You know exactly what I mean. You're just trolling. It is the epitome of point and shoot. I never need manual settings and I rarely have to tell it what kind of picture I want to take. If it's an action shot, I just hit the shutter button and it takes a great picture. It recognizes faces, movement, lighting, etc and demands basically nothing of the user. It just works pretty consistently

This statement kinda conflicts with the notion of the camera knowing what the user is trying to accomplish:

If it's an action shot, I just hit the shutter button and it takes a great picture.

The end result won't be great for example, when the calculated shutter speed for the "action" shot falls below 1/160 sec (as a rough guess) or one in which motion blur isn't mitigated. So did the user want the correct exposure or the capture the action with minimal blur. So again, which parameters in the list I gave does the camera guess to be what the user is trying to aim for?

Also, "trolling" is pointless here and is so 2015, therefore I'm not sure what you're getting at. You're free to ignore my comments and disengage from this and future dialogues if that's how you see things.

Status
Not open for further replies.