U11 vs iPhone 7 plus vs S8 camera shoot out

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am a little concerned that they're using an iPhone. Apple doesn't currently have a top 10 camera. Obviously a lot of people have them and there's the android vs ios thing ... but would rather see the U11 put up against it's closest peers, not just two popular devices.

Also concerned that we have yet again, someone saying that they prefer "eye popping" colors to natural colors. Most true to life = best. That's not debatable. If the question is what do you like the most? Answer = who cares, that's up to each person. If the question is what is best? Whichever one is most accurate. Always.

She literally says, "it all comes down to personal preference". That is a HUGE sin that 100% destroys credibility.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am a little concerned that they're using an iPhone. Apple doesn't currently have a top 10 camera. Obviously a lot of people have them and there's the android vs ios thing ... but would rather see the U11 put up against it's closest peers, not just two popular devices.

Also concerned that we have yet again, someone saying that they prefer "eye popping" colors to natural colors. Most true to life = best. That's not debatable. If the question is what do you like the most? Answer = who cares, that's up to each person. If the question is what is best? Whichever one is most accurate. Always.

She literally says, "it all comes down to personal preference". That is a HUGE sin that 100% destroys credibility.

I personally have the iPhone 7 plus, S8+, U11, Moto G5 plus currently. Had pretty much every other flagship like G6, Xperia XZ premium and even the OP5. I love the iPhone 7 plus pics as much as the other top Android phone cameras and can definitely go head to head with any phone. It works simple, straight forward and produces great pics just like the many other top Android phones like U11, S8 etc. Never ever when I shot with iPhone 7 plus I thought oh damn that shot would have come nice with U11, S8+ etc. For everyday normal people iPhone 7 plus does a great job and the same applies to other top Android phones as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I personally have the iPhone 7 plus, S8+, U11, Moto G5 plus currently. Had pretty much every other flagship like G6, Xperia XZ premium and even the OP5. I love the iPhone 7 plus pics as much as the other top Android phone cameras and can definitely go head to head with any phone. It works simple, straight forward and produces great pics just like the many other top Android phones like U11, S8 etc. Never ever when I shot with iPhone 7 plus I thought oh damn that shot would have come nice with U11, S8+ etc. For everyday normal people iPhone 7 plus does a great job and the same applies to other top Android phones as well.
I agree it's really good, but in the quest to find the best, it's pretty irrelevant since there are more than 10 better than it. IMO it is one of the easier ones to get good shots from.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

That's completely debatable.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Er, no... But yeah, no. There is an objective way to determine the best camera - and it is whichever can reproduce a scene most near to perfectly. There are a lot of criteria upon which that is based, so it is complicated to measure... But it's definitely discoverable through objective measurements and is not, ever, going to be based on opinions about who likes what better.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Er, no... But yeah, no. There is an objective way to determine the best camera - and it is whichever can reproduce a scene most near to perfectly. There are a lot of criteria upon which that is based, so it is complicated to measure... But it's definitely discoverable through objective measurements and is not, ever, going to be based on opinions about who likes what better.

Exactly. To state that something which can be objectively measured based on a standard set of criteria, is debatable, defies logic and reasoning. To use "looks best to me" as a deciding factor is not bad so long as it's not being used to determine a "winner".

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Some things are objective. Whether you think images with true to life color are better vivid images is completely subjective.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. To state that something which can be objectively measured based on a standard set of criteria, is debatable, defies logic and reasoning. To use "looks best to me" as a deciding factor is not bad so long as it's not being used to determine a "winner".

They don't. That's why the HTC U11 is never regarded as the best phone lol.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
They don't. That's why the HTC U11 is never regarded as the best phone lol.

Wait wut? Dude...are you talking about the phone or the camera? This thread specifically talks about cameras and the majority of the talk is camera centric. Even up to my last comment I was talking about the camera. The U11 has been regarded as having the best camera, so I'm at a loss as to how your statement fits in with the dialogue or is even on topic. Unless you're asserting that best camera is a direct correlation to being the best device. If you're taking about best device overall, then I'm really confused about the point your making as it relates to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the U11 is not only objectively the best camera on a smartphone to date, it's nearly universally recognized as being among the best or being the best by reviewers and users alike.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the U11 is not only objectively the best camera on a smartphone to date, it's nearly universally recognized as being among the best or being the best by reviewers and users alike.
In the sense that you're speaking no camera is recognized as the best bc no phone is always considered the best universally

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In the sense that you're speaking no camera is recognized as the best bc no phone is always considered the best universally
The phone part doesn't matter, camera only and the U11 is objectively the best and almost all subjective comparisons land with it on or near the top.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The phone part doesn't matter, camera only and the U11 is objectively the best and almost all subjective comparisons land with it on or near the top.
I misread your first comment lol but what I said is still true...

This argument of best camera will go on forever bc no camera will ever be universally considered the best bc it all comes down to preference of photos and once preference is involved technicalities are thrown out the window

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I misread your first comment lol but what I said is still true...

This argument of best camera will go on forever bc no camera will ever be universally considered the best bc it all comes down to preference of photos and once preference is involved technicalities are thrown out the window
Right that's where the objective and subjective come in. Objectivity gives us a true answer or what is technically best. Subjective comparisons give us what people prefer.