USB-C splitter for power and audio?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously considering getting a U11 to replace my dead Nexus 6P. One of the most attractive things about the U11 is the audio quality.

Once question I haven't been able to find an answer for is if there's any way to charge while connecting to external audio. I'm okay with using the included USB-C - 3.5mm adapter for normal headphone use, as I rarely let my phones get so low in power that I need to worry about charging while listening to music that way.

However, I'm very concerned about being able to charge while connected to my car's AUX audio. If I'm driving somewhere and using GPS, I need to charge, and my car doesn't support Bluetooth audio. I don't care about sound quality improvements if a third-party USB-C power/3.5mm audio jack adapter will work at all.

Can anybody confirm if this is possible? Thanks in advance!

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend a Bluetooth solution. Below is a link to a Bluetooth car kit that will plug right into your aux port. There are many options on Amazon but, this one has over 5k reviews and a hair under 5 stars. I did a little research on what your looking for specifically and came up with nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5893895

Okay, thanks for taking the time to research. Yeah, a Bluetooth adapter sounds like my only option, and I suppose it could work in a pitch.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously considering getting a U11 to replace my dead Nexus 6P. One of the most attractive things about the U11 is the audio quality.

Once question I haven't been able to find an answer for is if there's any way to charge while connecting to external audio. I'm okay with using the included USB-C - 3.5mm adapter for normal headphone use, as I rarely let my phones get so low in power that I need to worry about charging while listening to music that way.

However, I'm very concerned about being able to charge while connected to my car's AUX audio. If I'm driving somewhere and using GPS, I need to charge, and my car doesn't support Bluetooth audio. I don't care about sound quality improvements if a third-party USB-C power/3.5mm audio jack adapter will work at all.

Can anybody confirm if this is possible? Thanks in advance!

Maybe this thread on XDA may help. I have not read it so I don't know what kind of info it has.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3614645

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
A crude-but effective-solution if your car doesn't have audio Bluetooth is to plug an audio adapter into your cassette player while leaving the charger port free. The sound through your radio is quite excellent.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
A crude-but effective-solution if your car doesn't have audio Bluetooth is to plug an audio adapter into your cassette player while leaving the charger port free. The sound through your radio is quite excellent.

Still can't use that and charge the device simultaneously.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So, after some additional research, it's looking like it's either a Bluetooth adapter or a portable USB-C hub. We've already covered Bluetooth in this thread, so to cover the hub idea: it would mean plugging the HTC USB-C to 3.5mm adapter into the hub, the USB-C charger into the hub, and then the hub into the U11. That would power the U11, while the digital signal would pass through the hub, through the HTC adapter, then be converted to analog and through the 3.5mm cable.

Either way, it's a lot of work just to overcome the loss of the 3.5mm jack.

Is the audio on the U11 really worth all that hassle?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Either way, it's a lot of work just to overcome the loss of the 3.5mm jack.

Is the audio on the U11 really worth all that hassle?

The Bluetooth adapter really isn't a hassle at all. It's plug, pair and play. The U11 is worth it, even with this one misstep.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why not. The cassette connects to the audio port and the charge port is free. What am I missing?

Well, hmm... The U11 doesn't have a 3.5mm audio jack, only a USB-C port that's used for power and for connecting to USB-C headphones or 3.5mm audio cables via an adapter. So, once you plug in the USB-C charger cable, then you can't plug in the adapter to connect to a 3.5mm cable.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The Bluetooth adapter really isn't a hassle at all. It's plug, pair and play. The U11 is worth it, even with this one misstep.

Yeah, I hear you, the Bluetooth adapter isn't a big deal. It's probably what I'll go with, seems like the least hassle.

And if the U11 provides awesome audio otherwise, then yes, it's definitely worth it.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Well, hmm... The U11 doesn't have a 3.5mm audio jack, only a USB-C port that's used for power and for connecting to USB-C headphones or 3.5mm audio cables via an adapter. So, once you plug in the USB-C charger cable, then you can't plug in the adapter to connect to a 3.5mm cable.

I apologize for my ignorance. Is there a splitter available so power and audio can run off the same plug?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I apologize for my ignorance. Is there a splitter available so power and audio can run off the same plug?

No problem, it's certainly not intuitive. Unfortunately, no, as far as anyone can tell there doesn't seem to be a simple splitter. The audio is coming out digital and needs a digital analog convertor to run through a 3.5mm audio jack and cable. The DAC is in the HTC USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, and HTC hasn't yet made splitter. Maybe they will at some point, assuming it's possible -- and that's something I can't answer.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
You can avoid the hassle of adapters and still have an awesome device. Get the 10.

That's an idea, and I've thought about it. I do kind of want to buy a phone with the most likelihood of getting the newest updates, and I do want the faster components.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
If they are going to pull the headphone jack, they should release a splitter for charging while listening. This is ultra annoying and I am a user who charges while listening often with past phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma