01-09-2018 01:04 AM
34 12
tools
    I'm seriously considering getting a U11 to replace my dead Nexus 6P. One of the most attractive things about the U11 is the audio quality.

Once question I haven't been able to find an answer for is if there's any way to charge while connecting to external audio. I'm okay with using the included USB-C - 3.5mm adapter for normal headphone use, as I rarely let my phones get so low in power that I need to worry about charging while listening to music that way.

However, I'm very concerned about being able to charge while connected to my car's AUX audio. If I'm driving somewhere and using GPS, I need to charge, and my car doesn't support Bluetooth audio. I don't care about sound quality improvements if a third-party USB-C power/3.5mm audio jack adapter will work at all.

Can anybody confirm if this is possible? Thanks in advance!
    07-21-2017 02:45 AM
    I'd recommend a Bluetooth solution. Below is a link to a Bluetooth car kit that will plug right into your aux port. There are many options on Amazon but, this one has over 5k reviews and a hair under 5 stars. I did a little research on what your looking for specifically and came up with nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009N...cUvbUpU5893577
    jon4400 likes this.
    07-21-2017 05:22 AM
    I'd recommend a Bluetooth solution. Below is a link to a Bluetooth car kit that will plug right into your aux port. There are many options on Amazon but, this one has over 5k reviews and a hair under 5 stars. I did a little research on what your looking for specifically and came up with nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009N...cUvbUpU5893895
    Okay, thanks for taking the time to research. Yeah, a Bluetooth adapter sounds like my only option, and I suppose it could work in a pitch.
    07-21-2017 11:14 AM
    I'm seriously considering getting a U11 to replace my dead Nexus 6P. One of the most attractive things about the U11 is the audio quality.

Once question I haven't been able to find an answer for is if there's any way to charge while connecting to external audio. I'm okay with using the included USB-C - 3.5mm adapter for normal headphone use, as I rarely let my phones get so low in power that I need to worry about charging while listening to music that way.

However, I'm very concerned about being able to charge while connected to my car's AUX audio. If I'm driving somewhere and using GPS, I need to charge, and my car doesn't support Bluetooth audio. I don't care about sound quality improvements if a third-party USB-C power/3.5mm audio jack adapter will work at all.

Can anybody confirm if this is possible? Thanks in advance!
    Maybe this thread on XDA may help. I have not read it so I don't know what kind of info it has.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3614645
    07-21-2017 06:25 PM
    A crude-but effective-solution if your car doesn't have audio Bluetooth is to plug an audio adapter into your cassette player while leaving the charger port free. The sound through your radio is quite excellent.
    07-21-2017 06:39 PM
    Maybe this thread on XDA may help. I have not read it so I don't know what kind of info it has.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3614645
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    07-21-2017 07:01 PM
    A crude-but effective-solution if your car doesn't have audio Bluetooth is to plug an audio adapter into your cassette player while leaving the charger port free. The sound through your radio is quite excellent.
    Still can't use that and charge the device simultaneously.
    07-22-2017 05:55 PM
    So, after some additional research, it's looking like it's either a Bluetooth adapter or a portable USB-C hub. We've already covered Bluetooth in this thread, so to cover the hub idea: it would mean plugging the HTC USB-C to 3.5mm adapter into the hub, the USB-C charger into the hub, and then the hub into the U11. That would power the U11, while the digital signal would pass through the hub, through the HTC adapter, then be converted to analog and through the 3.5mm cable.

Either way, it's a lot of work just to overcome the loss of the 3.5mm jack.

Is the audio on the U11 really worth all that hassle?
    07-22-2017 08:38 PM

Either way, it's a lot of work just to overcome the loss of the 3.5mm jack.

Is the audio on the U11 really worth all that hassle?
    The Bluetooth adapter really isn't a hassle at all. It's plug, pair and play. The U11 is worth it, even with this one misstep.
    07-22-2017 08:45 PM
    Still can't use that and charge the device simultaneously.
    I'm not sure why not. The cassette connects to the audio port and the charge port is free. What am I missing?
    07-22-2017 08:48 PM
    I'm not sure why not. The cassette connects to the audio port and the charge port is free. What am I missing?
    Well, hmm... The U11 doesn't have a 3.5mm audio jack, only a USB-C port that's used for power and for connecting to USB-C headphones or 3.5mm audio cables via an adapter. So, once you plug in the USB-C charger cable, then you can't plug in the adapter to connect to a 3.5mm cable.
    07-22-2017 09:00 PM
    The Bluetooth adapter really isn't a hassle at all. It's plug, pair and play. The U11 is worth it, even with this one misstep.
    Yeah, I hear you, the Bluetooth adapter isn't a big deal. It's probably what I'll go with, seems like the least hassle.

And if the U11 provides awesome audio otherwise, then yes, it's definitely worth it.
    07-22-2017 09:01 PM
    Well, hmm... The U11 doesn't have a 3.5mm audio jack, only a USB-C port that's used for power and for connecting to USB-C headphones or 3.5mm audio cables via an adapter. So, once you plug in the USB-C charger cable, then you can't plug in the adapter to connect to a 3.5mm cable.
    I apologize for my ignorance. Is there a splitter available so power and audio can run off the same plug?
    07-22-2017 11:13 PM
    I apologize for my ignorance. Is there a splitter available so power and audio can run off the same plug?
    No problem, it's certainly not intuitive. Unfortunately, no, as far as anyone can tell there doesn't seem to be a simple splitter. The audio is coming out digital and needs a digital analog convertor to run through a 3.5mm audio jack and cable. The DAC is in the HTC USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, and HTC hasn't yet made splitter. Maybe they will at some point, assuming it's possible -- and that's something I can't answer.
    07-23-2017 12:57 AM
    You can avoid the hassle of adapters and still have an awesome device. Get the 10.
    07-23-2017 08:49 AM
    You can avoid the hassle of adapters and still have an awesome device. Get the 10.
    That's an idea, and I've thought about it. I do kind of want to buy a phone with the most likelihood of getting the newest updates, and I do want the faster components.
    07-23-2017 12:27 PM
    Get the HTC stereo clip. I have been using in the 3.5 mm AUX port in my VW R32 for years. You can charge it while it is plugged in. Battery lasts 4 or 5 hours per charge. Sound is fantastic. You can then charge the phone with the USB-C port.

https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Bluetooth...cUvbUpU5897434
    07-24-2017 08:46 AM
    Get the HTC stereo clip. I have been using in the 3.5 mm AUX port in my VW R32 for years. You can charge it while it is plugged in. Battery lasts 4 or 5 hours per charge. Sound is fantastic. You can then charge the phone with the USB-C port.

https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Bluetooth...cUvbUpU5897599
    Looks like a good option, thanks
    07-24-2017 11:25 AM
    If they are going to pull the headphone jack, they should release a splitter for charging while listening. This is ultra annoying and I am a user who charges while listening often with past phones.
    07-24-2017 02:55 PM
    If they are going to pull the headphone jack, they should release a splitter for charging while listening. This is ultra annoying and I am a user who charges while listening often with past phones.
    This will solve all your problems. I am waiting for the final production. Should be ready any day now.
    https://www.bluewaveaudio.ca/?v=7516fd43adaa
    07-24-2017 03:20 PM
    Interesting. I'm intrigued
    07-24-2017 07:12 PM
    This will solve all your problems. I am waiting for the final production. Should be ready any day now.
    https://www.bluewaveaudio.ca/?v=7516fd43adaa
    I have to admit that's an interesting looking option, but at $100 on sale ($130) regularly, it's a bit pricey for me at this point. I'd probably settle for a $20 Bluetooth adapter for now and settle for a little lower-quality sound in my car.

If I were looking for a wider use wireless solution, however, this one sure looks like it could work.
    07-24-2017 07:17 PM
    Interesting. I'm intrigued
    They were supposed to be ready by June, but some delays occurred. Hopefully by mid August. Looks like the answer for high fidelity wireless use of any standard headphones or earbuds, and it can convert your home audio system into a bluetooth speaker for use with you phone or with Alexa.
    zbombz likes this.
    07-24-2017 07:17 PM
    Tried a few products on Amazon that didn't work, got discouraged, someone on XDA said this adapter worked, so I gave it a shot, and I can confirm it works with the HTC U11! It does not work with the USB-C headphones included however, but if you use the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, then you can use that with this hub and you will be able to charge (and quick charge) while listening to headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0R1F1M...cUvbUpU5912585
    zbombz and James E1 like this.
    08-04-2017 07:28 PM
    Tried a few products on Amazon that didn't work, got discouraged, someone on XDA said this adapter worked, so I gave it a shot, and I can confirm it works with the HTC U11! It does not work with the USB-C headphones included however, but if you use the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, then you can use that with this hub and you will be able to charge (and quick charge) while listening to headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0R1F1M...cUvbUpU5912620
    Excellent, thanks for the report! That's exactly the one I was thinking about buying, and it's great to hear that it works. Have you noticed any decrease in sound quality compared to goint straight out of the phone via the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter?
    08-04-2017 08:03 PM
34 12