Unable to receive MMS messages

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For the past several days I've been unable to receive MMS messages with Textra or the HTC U11 default messaging app. I am able to SEND MMS messages, and people can receive the picture, I simply can't receive any messages that have a file attached.

There also seems to be a correlation between this and a persistent message I get about android upgrading, but that's a separate post.

This is with an unlocked U11 on the Verizon Network. I've had the phone for about 2 months now, and this is the first time I've experienced this issue. This is what I've tried so far to fix the issue, without any positive result...

- Check to make sure MMSC was set to mms.vzwpix.com (also mms.vtext.com)
- Changed MMS behavior from System to Legacy and added the proxy port of 80.
- Changed Carrier Send Limit from 1MB to unlimited.
- Rebooted the Phone
- Opened up the default app which was disabled MMS auto retrieve.
- Uninstalled and re-installed Textra.
- Reseated the SIM card.
- Cleared cache for both Textra and the default app.
- Cleared the Dalvik cache.
- Saved all multimedia files to storage then deleted the majority of saved text messages.
- Cleared the app Cache again
- Switched MMS behavior back to System
- Called Verizon Tech support.

Just as a side note... I can send a text message to myself from a computer by using the myphone#@vtext.com. In fact, I sent myself a link (from a PC) which showed the beginning of the article along with an image. So for some reason that worked in Textra.

Any ideas?

This is the type of error notification that keep popping up:

Cant_get_MMS.jpg

Thanks,
David

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Unble to receive MMS messages

Maybe call the network provider (on another phone) and go through your settings with them.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Tim1954, I did call them but didn't go into great detail with the MMS / Network settings. When I got into the port settings, I got the feeling the person I was talking to was lost.

Wildclip, I browsed the web and from what I saw, my settings were correct. Is there a place to reset them? I haven't noticed it.

Thanks

THizzle7XU

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same exact issue! I use the unlocked HTC U11 on Verizon, and I use Textra, and since Thursday 8/24/17 I cannot receive MMS messages. I can send them, and the only way I can recieve them is to set the default text messaging app to the built-in "Messages" app. Textra, GOSMS, and the newer Android Messages, and the Verizon Messages+ apps all cannot pull down the MMS messages.

I factory reset the phone, and it did not work. I played with the APN settings, and reset them. And no luck.

Also, what's odd is even though I set the built in Messages app to default, and it will receive the MMS messages (at least from another Verizon phone), I will eventually still get a Textra error notification that it couldn't get the MMS message.

Last edited:

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Thanks, finally found it under Android Settings, Network Settings, GSM/UMTS Options, Access Point Names, and then the Reset to Default option. Unfortunately it didn't help :-(

Last edited:

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

THizzle,

I'm beginning to think this is related to release version 3.40. I' assuming you've got version 3.40?

I've contacted the Textra team and have had several emails with them, so far everything he suggested I've already tried. I've asked him what would be needed to go back to ver 3.339 or 3.338, and hopefully that could fix it.

There's also an article in the Textra Knowledge Base about MMS Timeouts where it mentions the 4 lines of source code that created a bug in Android 7.0, and the testing on the Verizon Network. It also talks about all SMS/MMS apps being affected, but since I do not (did not) have this issue with the default messaging app, I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. Based on my experience, the default app worked fine until Textra was reinstalled and was used as the primary SMS MMS app.

I've also reset back to factory defaults yesterday, which seemed to momentarily help, but only for a very short period of time.

Verizon, while friendly enough, wasn't much help and basically pushed back because it's not a "supported" phone, even though it is an unlocked phone.

Since I've been using Textra for several months on Verizon without an issue, I'm hoping that going back a version will fix the problems.

David

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Are your Textra settings still on Legacy and unlimited? I'd definitely try going back to System and 1MB. I've had issues with Textra before (on AT&T), and those 2 settings have never given me issues.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Yep, system and 1Mb. Things are definitely better now that I've installed a new SIM that was configured in a Android phone at the store before inserting it into my new U11. However, I know there were a few texts that I didn't receive as soon as I started using Textra. Not saying it's Textra's fault, but there's definitely some odd stuff going on. :-(

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yep, system and 1Mb. Things are definitely better now that I've installed a new SIM that was configured in a Android phone at the store before inserting it into my new U11. However, I know there were a few texts that I didn't receive as soon as I started using Textra. Not saying it's Textra's fault, but there's definitely some odd stuff going on. :-(

So, things are going a bit better for you now with receiving MMS messages? I was going to recommend contacting Textra support - but I saw that they have given you suggestions that already did not work.

Please keep us informed on how things are going! How are you liking the HTC U11 otherwise?

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Here's the thing... I'm extremely happy with the phone and definitely want to keep it, but I can't afford to miss MMS text's. I have a brother in Houston & a Sister in Eastern Wa, one in danger of flooding and one in danger of being burnt out of their home by forest fires. I missed a lot of communication these past weeks due to MMS failures. That's unacceptable in this day and age, especially with defined standards.

So I'm going to have to either return the HTC and select another phone if I want to stay on Verizon, or return the phone and pick up a Sprint branded U11 and go back to the Sprint Network.

The bottom line is that I will not accept sub-standard service just because I like and want to keep the phone.

BTW... The "FAQ" at Textra's website is saying this is an issue with Android, and specifically 4 lines of bad code.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Here's the thing... I'm extremely happy with the phone and definitely want to keep it, but I can't afford to miss MMS text's. I have a brother in Houston & a Sister in Eastern Wa, one in danger of flooding and one in danger of being burnt out of their home by forest fires. I missed a lot of communication these past weeks due to MMS failures. That's unacceptable in this day and age, especially with defined standards.

So I'm going to have to either return the HTC and select another phone if I want to stay on Verizon, or return the phone and pick up a Sprint branded U11 and go back to the Sprint Network.

The bottom line is that I will not accept sub-standard service just because I like and want to keep the phone.

BTW... The "FAQ" at Textra's website is saying this is an issue with Android, and specifically 4 lines of bad code.

I definitely understand what you are saying. We need the phones to work for us to suit our own individual needs... And if they don't do that, they need to go, no matter how much we like using them.

Also, I know this is a phone forum, but I'm thinking of you and your family during this time. Hope they stay safe.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Without me having to read the entire thread do you have data saver turned on in quick toggles. If so turn it off. I had problems receiving MMS messages after turning it on for a few days.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

No problem with Textra (verizon) I have it sat to System and unlimited; data saver off.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

After looking at your screenshot those are the same notifications I was getting.

Thanks James, Data saver is OFF. I haven't received an error for a couple of days now, but I still feel like I'm dealing with a crippled / fragile phone. :-(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12