Unable to receive MMS messages

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It's my understanding that the next update will fix some of the Verizon issues and that is one of the reasons the US unlocked U11 hasn't been updated yet.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi James,

Are you talking about a HTC update? Any idea on when the update is to be released? Do you know how reliable this information is?

Thanks!

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes an HTC update. I feel it's pretty reliable info but have no idea when. All I was told was it was delayed because of the improvements to Verizon's service. I was also told it should be soon but have no date.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I ended up returning mine. I tried an iPhone 7 for 3 weeks (1st time ever with an iPhone) just to see if it really was all that great. It's not... There's some things that iPhone does better than an older Android phone, but not nearly enough of a difference to even tempt me. The iPhone is being returned on Thursday and I'm hopefully picking up a Pixel2, as long as 1) My pre-order shows up on Thursday, or 2) Verizon has Pixels in stock, in which case I'll immediately return the Pixel from Google Store.

The U11 was such a great phone, it's to bad they screwed up the delivery and implementation.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone ever figure this out? I am unable to receive MMS using ANY 3rd party SMS apps. Odd that some have had no problems, others took some tweaking, and the rest of us can't get them to work PERIOD. *shrugs*

Victor H

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased my u11 unlocked and an vzw... I too am having this issue. Contacted textra about it and they seem just as stumped as me... Htc messaging app recives mms, Verizon message+ (downloaded from the play store) receives mms, but any 3rd party(textra, chomp, mood, Android messages) will not and all throw and error notification. Anyone find anymore info on this... Possible solutions. I've tried alot but can't change any apn settings from Network settings

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased my u11 unlocked and an vzw... I too am having this issue. Contacted textra about it and they seem just as stumped as me... Htc messaging app recives mms, Verizon message+ (downloaded from the play store) receives mms, but any 3rd party(textra, chomp, mood, Android messages) will not and all throw and error notification. Anyone find anymore info on this... Possible solutions. I've tried alot but can't change any apn settings from Network settings

There is a thread "Anyone on Verizon?" at XDA discussing this. Long story short, you need a new nano SIM that is activated on a newer Verizon phone (H10 would be a good choice if you have one) because the U11 does not have an option to turn on Advanced Calling for whatever reason.

I took my daughters iPhone 6+ (didn't have access to a newer android) to the store and had them activate my account on a new SIM card with it, then put it in my U11 - now the phone is working like a boss. If you do use an iPhone to activate it make sure you do a factory reset, and set up your U11 BEFORE putting the SIM in. I didn't and ran into a few hiccups. So i took the SIM out, did a factory reset, set up the phone when it booted up and THEN put the SIM in. Have experienced NO problems since. A newer Android phone would be the preferred choice though.

Victor H

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
There is a thread "Anyone on Verizon?" at XDA discussing this. Long story short, you need a new nano SIM that is activated on a newer Verizon phone (H10 would be a good choice if you have one) because the U11 does not have an option to turn on Advanced Calling for whatever reason.

I took my daughters iPhone 6+ (didn't have access to a newer android) to the store and had them activate my account on a new SIM card with it, then put it in my U11 - now the phone is working like a boss. If you do use an iPhone to activate it make sure you do a factory reset, and set up your U11 BEFORE putting the SIM in. I didn't and ran into a few hiccups. So i took the SIM out, did a factory reset, set up the phone when it booted up and THEN put the SIM in. Have experienced NO problems since. A newer Android phone would be the preferred choice though.

I activated a new SIM card when I got my phone. I have HD calling activated so I get calls ect

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I activated a new SIM card when I got my phone. I have HD calling activated so I get calls ect

Yeah, so did i. This has been discussed ad nauseam over there. What i explained is the fix. I had the exact problem you are having. Your call...

Victor H

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, so did i. This has been discussed ad nauseam over there. What i explained is the fix. I had the exact problem you are having. Your call...

So I literally have to a SIM activated under a different, newer vzw branded phone, then install the new SIM I'm my u11? How will the other phone work if there's two SIMs activated under the same phone?

And this will fix my 3rd party sms app issues with mms?

Srry for the dumb... Repetitive questions... Just tryin to get my ducks lined up before I go in vzw

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So I literally have to a SIM activated under a different, newer vzw branded phone, then install the new SIM I'm my u11? How will the other phone work if there's two SIMs activated under the same phone?

And this will fix my 3rd party sms app issues with mms?

Srry for the dumb... Repetitive questions... Just tryin to get my ducks lined up before I go in vzw

Yes, a newer native Verizon phone - H10, Pixel, iPhone 6 and up etc... and new SIM card. The SIM is activated to your account, not the phone - but by using the newer verizon phone advanced calling is activated on the SIM. The U11 doesn't have it baked in for whatever reason. Just have them start fresh with your account, re-entering your IMEI number and HD voice and what not. Back-up your phone, do a factory reset, go through the set-up on your U11 then pop the newly activated SIM in and enjoy. It took all of 15 minutes. Make sure the Advanced calling setting on newer verizon phone is turned on before hand too. It's kind of an inconvenience to have to go through, but well worth it to have a FULLY functional U11 on Verizon.

And yes, it fixed my 3rd party SMS app problems with not receiving MMS.

Victor H

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Yes, a newer native Verizon phone - H10, Pixel, iPhone 6 and up etc... and new SIM card. The SIM is activated to your account, not the phone - but by using the newer verizon phone advanced calling is activated on the SIM. The U11 doesn't have it baked in for whatever reason. Just have them start fresh with your account, re-entering your IMEI number and HD voice and what not. Back-up your phone, do a factory reset, go through the set-up on your U11 then pop the newly activated SIM in and enjoy. It took all of 15 minutes. Make sure the Advanced calling setting on newer verizon phone is turned on before hand too. It's kind of an inconvenience to have to go through, but well worth it to have a FULLY functional U11 on Verizon.

And yes, it fixed my 3rd party SMS app problems with not receiving MMS.

When they enter my imei... Are they using my u11 or other phone?

My sister has a iPhone 6 layin around... So I can use that but are they using my imei or the iPhone? I'm only asking this cause she lives in another state.

Again srry for the questions... I need all the info so when the vzw rep I can explain what I'm tryin to do and why ect

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
When they enter my imei... Are they using my u11 or other phone?

My sister has a iPhone 6 layin around... So I can use that but are they using my imei or the iPhone? I'm only asking this cause she lives in another state.

Again srry for the questions... I need all the info so when the vzw rep I can explain what I'm tryin to do and why ect

Your U11 IMEI. Just tell them you want to start fresh adding your U11 to your account - Re-entering everything, and activating the new SIM on the iPhone. You are only using the iPhone to activate the new SIM on that account. Do a factory reset of your U11 and set it up while they are doing that, then put the newly activated SIM in your U11.

Victor H

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Make sure the advanced calling is enabled on the iPhone.

How to Enable Advanced Calling on an iPhone 6 Plus - Solve Your Tech

So as you stated J-Dam, using a newer vzw branded device to activate a new SIM card and ensuring advanced calling and HD voice was activated BEFORE setting up my unlocked u11, fixed my mms problem with 3 party aps.

I used my friends vzw branded iPhone 7 imei to activate a new SIM card and asked the rep to make sure HD voice and advanced calling features were enabled. Once the SIM was activated, I backed up and factory reset my u11, inserted the new SIM and BOOM! TEXTRA works like a champ!

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I'm having a similar texting problem on Verizon using the u11 after the Oreo update. I use the stock messaging app. I'm able to send and receive MMS messages but can only receive SMS ones. Outgoing SMS fails. I already did a lot of troubleshooting with a tier 2 Verizon tech and they opened a service ticket which was worked on for a few days and they came back and told me there is nothing wrong with Verizon...the problem is my phone.
Anyway, from reading the above, is my issue that the u11 doesn't have a control for advanced calling? Is that the root cause of my texting problem? Should I get back in touch with Verizon and ask them if advanced calling is active on my account? Or do I just need to follow the above recommendation regarding getting a new SIM?

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar texting problem on Verizon using the u11 after the Oreo update. I use the stock messaging app. I'm able to send and receive MMS messages but can only receive SMS ones. Outgoing SMS fails. I already did a lot of troubleshooting with a tier 2 Verizon tech and they opened a service ticket which was worked on for a few days and they came back and told me there is nothing wrong with Verizon...the problem is my phone.
Anyway, from reading the above, is my issue that the u11 doesn't have a control for advanced calling? Is that the root cause of my texting problem? Should I get back in touch with Verizon and ask them if advanced calling is active on my account? Or do I just need to follow the above recommendation regarding getting a new SIM?

Verizon is full of it. They are new to the BYOD (bring your own device) game, and these problems are directly related. You don't hear about people on Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile having these issues with the U11. Your issue seems unique though being that it is happening on the stock messenger and only after the Oreo update. I would follow the above recommendation regarding setting up a new SIM.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Thanks j-dam for the reply. Actually I just returned from the Verizon store where I had a very helpful fellow first try activating a new NFC SIM on a Verizon LG v30 while I did a reset. I tried the SIM in my u11 and it didn't even read it (no service). Then the CS guy tried activating my old SIM on the LG, making sure advanced calling was on. I put that SIM in my u11 and I'm back to where I was. Everything is fine except I still can't send SMS messages. I'm pretty frustrated right now. I really like the u11 but I'm about to sell and get a pixel 2 xl, taking advantage of the $300 off Verizon deal. Other carriers don't work well at my house so I'm sticking with Verizon.